PDA

View Full Version : dead arm

melfish
08-11-17, 18:05
I woke up in the middle of the night and my arm was dead, paralysed.I had to grab it with my right hand to move it. I've never had this happen before. Normally it's just pins and needles and/or numbness. Anyone else had this?

Fishmanpa
08-11-17, 18:07
I woke up in the middle of the night and my arm was dead, paralysed.I had to grab it with my right hand to move it. I've never had this happen before. Normally it's just pins and needles and/or numbness. Anyone else had this?

That's why they call it dead arm. You were sleeping on it funny and compressed a nerve along with cutting some of the blood supply. Totally normal.

Positive thoughts

KK77
08-11-17, 18:22
That's why they call it dead arm. You were sleeping on it funny and compressed a nerve along with cutting some of the blood supply. Totally normal.

Positive thoughts

Your wife said you had a dead fin in bed once and nearly knocked her out when you woke up and swung it :lac:

I've had this many times. Feels like your arm's gone missing till you get pins and needles sensation :wacko:

Fishmanpa
08-11-17, 19:55
Your wife said you had a dead fin in bed once and nearly knocked her out when you woke up and swung it :lac:

Slimed her something awful too! :roflmao:

Positive thoughts

melfish
09-11-17, 01:15
Slimed her something awful too! :roflmao:

Positive thoughts

ew :scared15:

AntsyVee
09-11-17, 02:17
Egh, look what you started, Mel :p

melfish
09-11-17, 03:00
Egh, look what you started, Mel :p

You guys always turn my threads into a circus :weep:

I'm quietly freaking out about my dead arm over here :lac:

Josh1234
09-11-17, 05:56
This is one step above a HelenHoo thread

melfish
09-11-17, 06:00
:roflmao:

Annaboodle
09-11-17, 08:36
I get that Mel. It's when I sleep "funny". Horrible sensation.

melfish
09-11-17, 16:24
I get that Mel. It's when I sleep "funny". Horrible sensation.

I've had it loads of times where my arm had pins and needles with it, but this time it was just like it didn't belong to me. I couldn't feel anything at all, and I couldn't move it.

Fishmanpa
09-11-17, 16:38
but................

For cryin' out loud! It's normal. It happens. You've had several people tell you this.

Tell you what. Just go to the doctor. Let us know what they say. I have a "Told ya so" all ready.

Positive thoughts and a slimey fin

melfish
09-11-17, 17:30
Pfft, this fear was just a passing blip. It's back to bulbar for me, I'm afraid ...

Josh1234
09-11-17, 19:05
This is up there with the girl who was scared she had Bulbar cause she was slurring her speech while drunk, and the (same) girl who was afraid she had foot drop cause her right sandal was more scuffed than the left lol

melfish
09-11-17, 19:08
This is up there with the girl who was scared she had Bulbar cause she was slurring her speech while drunk, and the (same) girl who was afraid she had foot drop cause her right sandal was more scuffed than the left lol

I'd better have a drink then

AntsyVee
10-11-17, 01:02

No, no, no...the best one was that dude from Texas on AZ who bumped his head when he was high and asked if the lump was a brain tumor. That guy got so wasted on multiple substances...no wonder he felt like crap all the time.

emmegee
12-11-17, 22:42

Yes, this exact same think has happened to me a handful of times in the past couple years. Scared me and I mentioned it to my neurologist and primary doctor. They said it is nothing to worry about, a compressed nerve.

I think it's called "drop wrist" or "wrist drop".

nivekc251
12-11-17, 23:26
In my early college years I was prescribed muscle relaxers for a football injury, I took 2 the first night and fell asleep with my arm behind my head. I woke up and couldn't move my arm. I couldn't lift it to shake someone's hand for months. I never saw a doc about it and had to use my left hand to help lift the right arm to shake hands. Eventually it got better lol if that happened to me right now i would be freaking the hell out. Sorry for the story lol , but this happens to me from time to time when i sleep weird. I just try to shake it out and it goes away. Nothing like the time before lol

melfish
12-11-17, 23:54
Yes, this exact same think has happened to me a handful of times in the past couple years. Scared me and I mentioned it to my neurologist and primary doctor. They said it is nothing to worry about, a compressed nerve.

I think it's called "drop wrist" or "wrist drop".

omg never say "wrist drop" to an ALS-ophobe :roflmao:

Yes, compressed nerve vs cutting off the blood supply, which is the one I'm familiar with. Two totally different things. The former is scary

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

In my early college years I was prescribed muscle relaxers for a football injury, I took 2 the first night and fell asleep with my arm behind my head. I woke up and couldn't move my arm. I couldn't lift it to shake someone's hand for months. I never saw a doc about it and had to use my left hand to help lift the right arm to shake hands. Eventually it got better lol if that happened to me right now i would be freaking the hell out. Sorry for the story lol , but this happens to me from time to time when i sleep weird. I just try to shake it out and it goes away. Nothing like the time before lol

Blimey, that would be terrifying :scared15: