PDA

View Full Version : Hello, everybody

Deb
29-11-04, 17:45
Well, my name is Deb. I am 42 and have suffered with anxiety and panic attacks since i was 17. Just looking forward to interacting with some of you. What I've read so far has been so comforting.

More soon (gotta go - 1 year old wants some attention!)

x

Meg
29-11-04, 18:06
Hi Deb,

Welcome to the site.

Are your panic attacks triggered by anything in particular and what help have you had so far to get over these ?

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Karen
29-11-04, 18:21
Hi Deb

Welcome to the forum.

You'll find lots of help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

sal
29-11-04, 18:35
Hi Deb

Welcome to the site. I am glad you have found some comfort it what you have already read.

People on here are great and will help you all they can.

Love Sal xxxxx

seh1980
29-11-04, 18:48
hello there Deb,

Welcome to the forum!! The people here are great and I'm sure you will receive loads of support.Please do tell us more about yourself and let us know how you are getting on.

Sarah :D

nomorepanic
29-11-04, 19:28
Hi Deb

Welcome aboard.

I am sure we can help you some more so let us know how we can help when you get time.

I got your message on the Guestbook thanks.

The pop-ups come from Bravenet who host the Guestbook and not this site so nothing to worry about.

Nicola

jill
29-11-04, 21:10
Hi Deb

Welcome to the site,

There are lots of nice people here
who will give you help and support.

JILLX

All problems have a begining and an end!

Deb
30-11-04, 07:51
Thanks for the welcome!

Supermarkets and big DIY stores are a specific problem. Generally though, I just seem to be terrified that I'm going to make a fool of myself. I wake in the night having an attack and suffer worst just before I get up. Most mornings I m actually physically sick. Came off the anti-depressants because they made me feel worse and I'm trying Valerian root at the moment. I have had counselling which was brilliant but that was 4 years ago and I need it again but GP won't put me forward. I am currently taking part in a telephone recovery programme (6 of us and a leader) through NO Panic. Have only done 2 sessions and there are 12 more so I'll let you know.

Cheers

Deb
30-11-04, 10:28
Might as well tell you now - I am also a heavy drinker which just compounds the problem. Alcoholics Anonymous were nice but cos of the panic, I can't get to the meetings (and, actually, they don't class me as an alcoholic). My doctor wants to treat the panic disorder but won't help with the drink problem. I feel that if I could get the drinking under control, I could move forward.

Anyone been there, done that?[8)]

Yet, freedom, yet thy banner, streams like the thunderstorm, against the wind.

Byron

Meg
30-11-04, 14:50
Hi Deb,

Glad you are on the No panic telephone recovery. Quite a few of our members have been through it too .

Do you consider you have an alcohol dependance issue ?

You are absolutely right - when you reduce the alcohol the rest will improve. Have you tried reducing it very slowly yourself recently ?

Meg

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Deb
30-11-04, 15:30
I'm not sure about dependance as such but I do seem to have an addictive personality type. I do really well when I'm on holiday (for example) and literally cannot get away with drinking as much. I drink about 2 bottles of white wine a day at home - mostly on my own. I'm really determined to cut back because i am also overweight for the first time in my life which isn't exactly great for my confidence[:I] I work from home and have a young baby, as well as two teenagers, so there is also the loneliness. I'm going to try really hard to make some new friends (my two best friends moved to opposite ends of the country just as my marriage broke up - it was devastating).

I'm actually quite an optimistic person and even close acquaintances don't believe I suffer from anxiety because I put up such a front. Nor does anyone know about the drinking.

Byron

Meg
30-11-04, 16:18
Hi Deb,

So ... do you drink because it makes you feel better physically - rids you of the symptoms - or because it helps you cope ?

I don't mean to push but I do wonder whether you're in a sugar dependence cycle...

Meg

Deb
30-11-04, 17:18
Pry all youi like, Meg. [8D]I'm going to rid myself of this thing but I do need help and advice. I used to counsel drug addicts (though never taken drugs unless prescribed) and helping people was so good for me! Is that where you are? Been there and giving something back?

I digress! I am interested by your comment but I don't have a sweet tooth. My cravings include Quavers, black olives - all savoury stuff. But that doesn't mean that I don't have a sugar thing necessarily, I guess.

Byron

nomorepanic
30-11-04, 21:59
Hi Deb

I have had an alcohol "problem" recently and after some blood tests I had to give up drinking on the docs orders for 3 weeks. I managed only a few in that time but it was VERY HARD and every day I counted the time till I could drink again.

The last week was the easiest but the 1st two were a nightmare as I couldn't sleep atall - I use alcohol to relax me and help me sleep.

My liver function tests (LFT's) are much better now but if I am not careful I will slip back to drinking again.

I am still drinking but trying to moderate it - it is still hard !

Vern on the message forum gave up over a year ago so he may offer some advice too.

Have you had your liver tested? That will scare the hell out of you when you are told you are damaging it.

I am still trying to cut down and it is hard - very hard.

Hope we can support each other.

I drink to make me sleep - why do you do it?

I used to use alcohol as a test. If I was "dying"and felt so many bad symptoms then they would still be there after a drink. If I chilled and relaxed and felt better they would go- does that make sense? They went of course but I kept testing it each day.

There are a few of us on here that know we drink to much so we can support each other ok?

Nicola

Deb
01-12-04, 07:46
Thanks, Nicola. I did have liver and thyroid tests because of my weight gain. Apparently my liver is very healthy, though that was a couple of years ago. I don't drink spirits and that seems to justify it in my head.

Got to get kids off to school but think I may go back to the docs and ask for the test. He doesn't take it seriously.

Managed a 5 day detox this year and lost 4lbs, that should be enough of a motivation because I am 3 stone overweight.

And, I simply drink out of habit/boredom. Sleeping is fin e until the early hours waking caused by the drinking. A vicious circle!

Deb[8D]

Byron

lainey
01-12-04, 09:11
Hi Deb

I like you have been drinking too much two weeks ago I stopped drinking in the week and can't tell you how much better I felt, have been drinking in the week since but cut back a lot. I also drink because it's a habit and am bored at night as I find it hard to sit down and relax in the evening.

Perhaps we can all support each other, just try breaking the cycle perhaps by having 1 day off to try and break the habit.

Here if you need a chat

Elaine x

tara
01-12-04, 09:19
Hi Deb, i'm Tara and i'm 30. I gave up alcohol a year and a half ago now, I was drinking 3-4 litres of wine a day (i am ashamed to say).

It was only when I had a major panic attack and had to go to hospiatl that I decided to give it up. I used it to chill, relax and make me happy. It was scary thinking back as even though I drank so much I could still function, I went shopping, down my friends, took my son to school.

I am now alcohol free and haven't had a drop since I gave it up.

Tara x

Deb
01-12-04, 10:01
Thanks, Lainey,

It's so good to know there are people out there! My drinking has been for a few years but is probably at it's worst just now.

I do know how good it is not to drink. I volunteered to drive to a dinner/dance recently so stuck to iced water. i had a fantastic evening. Danced till 1.30am and felt amazing in the morning. We've got a Christmas do on 10th Dec and I am going to drive and i am really looking forward to it. I feel so proud of myself afterwards!

I do wonder though - what came first, the drink or the panic? Are they linked by our particular mindsets? Are we more likely to drink? There seems to me to be a link.

Deb

Byron

Deb
01-12-04, 10:08
Hi, Tara,

That's alot of wine! but you're free of it now. Well done. it must have been hard to start with and i suppose you have off days even now. Saw George Best on telly recently and he looked so well. It always amazes me how I continue to function. I have no idea whether people know when I've been drinking but I still manage to run the house and work part-time.

Thank you for your support. I hope to join you soon in a world free of alcohol.

x

Byron

Meg
01-12-04, 14:08
Why I don't drink anymore ( by Tom Edwards, no idea who he is/was ) but summarises its effects neatly ::

I changed because I have the sickness of alcoholism, alcoholism doesn't come in bottles, it comes in people.

You should have seen me.
I drank for happiness and became unhappy.
I drank for joy and became miserable.
I drank to become outgoing and became self-centred.
I drank for sociability and became argumentative and lonely.
I drank for sophistication and became crude and obnoxious.
I drank for friendship and made enemies.
I drank to soften sorrow and wallowed in self-pity.
I drank for strength and felt weak.
I drank for masculinity and it sapped my potency.
I drank medicinally and became sick.
I drank because I thought my job called for it and lost my job.
I drank to stimulate and blacked out.
I drank to make conversation and got to where I couldn't talk at all.
I drank to forget and became haunted.
I drank for freedom and became a slave.
I drank for power and became powerless.
I drank to erase problems and saw them multiply.
I drank to cope with life, and invited death.

Keep it under control - please