PDA

View Full Version : Cat scratch and puncture wound worried sick!

denim03
11-11-17, 16:58
So last night my cat was falling off the balcony so I ran and helped her up and she scratched my finger leaving a quite deep wound and she also left a puncture wound next to the scratch. I washed with water and soap, put some hand disinfectant on it (didn't have antiseptic or anything at home unfortunately) and then put a band-aid on it. I woke up today and looked at the wound which still looked fresh. I am worried about tetanus since my cat goes outdoors and I haven't had a shot since I was a kid and I am 28 years old now. I called the medical advice and talked to a nurse and told her about what happened and my concerns about tetanus but she told me to only keep an eye on the wound if it starts getting red/swollen I.e. infected. But if there's a risk of tetanus then aren't you supposed to get a tetanus shot asap and not wait and see if the wound gets infected? I am insanely worried and don't know what to do?? I have been worrying and crying all day. :weep:

emmegee
11-11-17, 17:11
I think if you washed it right away you will be fine. You flushed any potential pathogens before they had a chance to get into your system. Keep it covered and it should scab up in a couple days. Like the nurse said... if it gets swollen or doesn't start healing on it's own you should be seen by a dr. Cat scratches are incredibly common. I grew up in a house where we rescued cats (all outdoor) and I got lots of scratches, bites, etc. The nurse must think your risk of tetanus from something like this is extremely low or she would have suggested the shot.

denim03
11-11-17, 18:09
I think if you washed it right away you will be fine. You flushed any potential pathogens before they had a chance to get into your system. Keep it covered and it should scab up in a couple days. Like the nurse said... if it gets swollen or doesn't start healing on it's own you should be seen by a dr. Cat scratches are incredibly common. I grew up in a house where we rescued cats (all outdoor) and I got lots of scratches, bites, etc. The nurse must think your risk of tetanus from something like this is extremely low or she would have suggested the shot.

Everything I've googled says that you should get a tetanus shot. I live near woods/nature so my cat tends to come home with soiled feet. I keep doubting the nurses judgement since it was through the phone and she didn't see the actual state of the wound. Plus they tend to make mistakes there, they've given wrong advice that has cost people their lives (it's not a common occurrence but my worried mind thinks it could happen to me). It is, however, reassuring to hear that you've been scratched without anything happening to you, have you had an up to date tetanus shot when you were scratched though? I've been scratched several times by my cat as well but never this deep. It's the state of the wound that concerns me, you can see the white tissue/flesh. :((

NotCool
11-11-17, 18:27
Why not hop to the doctor for a quick tetanus shot tomorrow? You're Swedish, you have free healthcare, don't you? You'll be done in no time.

denim03
11-11-17, 19:08
Why not hop to the doctor for a quick tetanus shot tomorrow? You're Swedish, you have free healthcare, don't you? You'll be done in no time.

We do, but it will have passed 24 hours from the injury by tomorrow. Is that okay or is it too late? Isn't there a specific time frame from when the injury occurred to when you're supposed to get the tetanus shot?

venusbluejeans
11-11-17, 19:46
Tetanus shots last for 10 year so if you have had one in the past 10 years you are covered.

But you have cleaned it and covered it so it will be fine without, I have had many many cat scratches in my life and I haven't had tetanus yet.

Just head to the drs IF it shows any sign of infection.....being really red, really painful (not just sore as it has been scratched) and puss coming out of the wound.

I don't think it warrants a drs trip, just keep it clean and it will heal.

denim03
11-11-17, 19:59
Tetanus shots last for 10 year so if you have had one in the past 10 years you are covered.

But you have cleaned it and covered it so it will be fine without, I have had many many cat scratches in my life and I haven't had tetanus yet.

Just head to the drs IF it shows any sign of infection.....being really red, really painful (not just sore as it has been scratched) and puss coming out of the wound.

I don't think it warrants a drs trip, just keep it clean and it will heal.

First off, thank you so much for putting time aside to reply. I really appreciate it as I am almost panicking over here.

I have not had a tetanus shot in the past 10 years and that's what really worries me. I have been scratched by my cat on several occasions before but never this deep. You can see the white flesh/tissue. The wound is obviously red but I think that's normal, but no swelling or pus as of yet. I am mostly worried about tetanus and as the hours go by I keep wondering if I should go get a shot before it's too late.

You say you've had many cat scratches, did you get deep scratches? Did you have an up-to-date tetanus when you were scratched?

venusbluejeans
11-11-17, 20:55
yep plenty of deep scratches when playing with my cat...... Tetanus, I am not sure about... I know when I had my latest tetanus shot they said that I was well over due for one so I would say no not an up to date tetanus.

Also I trod on a rusty nail that went straight through my shoe and into the bottom of my foot, I just cleaned that and put a plaster on it.

I got a pencil lead literally stuck in my heel (don't ask lol) and had to tweezer the lead out like a splinter.

When I was younger I walked into a big bit of rusty corrugated metal and sliced my knee open on it.

why am I telling you all of this??
1. because I am stupidly accident prone :doh: :roflmao:
2. I have done all of this and have never had tetanus, one of the incidents was bound to be when my Tetanus wasn't up to date.

In this case I would say just keep an eye on it.

I would also get yourself a tetanus shot....... not because I think you need it in this instant. just because it would give you peace of mind in times like this,

denim03
11-11-17, 22:26
yep plenty of deep scratches when playing with my cat...... Tetanus, I am not sure about... I know when I had my latest tetanus shot they said that I was well over due for one so I would say no not an up to date tetanus.

Also I trod on a rusty nail that went straight through my shoe and into the bottom of my foot, I just cleaned that and put a plaster on it.

I got a pencil lead literally stuck in my heel (don't ask lol) and had to tweezer the lead out like a splinter.

When I was younger I walked into a big bit of rusty corrugated metal and sliced my knee open on it.

why am I telling you all of this??
1. because I am stupidly accident prone :doh: :roflmao:
2. I have done all of this and have never had tetanus, one of the incidents was bound to be when my Tetanus wasn't up to date.

In this case I would say just keep an eye on it.

I would also get yourself a tetanus shot....... not because I think you need it in this instant. just because it would give you peace of mind in times like this,

So I shouldn't rush to the doctor and get one asap? I keep panicking whenever I look at my deep puncture wound under the bandage. It's comforting to know that you didn't get tetanus despite your shot not being up to date. I just keep thinking about how my cat comes home with soiled paws every day -> look at how deep my wound is -> think I'm going to get tetanus since i haven't had a tetanus shot well over 15 years at least -> panic/anxiety!

Once again, thanks for taking time to reply. I really appreciate it.

venusbluejeans
12-11-17, 00:50
I would say no don't rush asap.... keep it clean and if it starts to show any signs of infection then then head to the drs...

Make a routine appointment to have a tetanus jab, so you have peace of mind...

Fishmanpa
12-11-17, 01:03
I would say no don't rush asap.... keep it clean and if it starts to show any signs of infection then then head to the drs...

Make a routine appointment to have a tetanus jab, so you have peace of mind...

Agreed. I have a 17lb beast of a cat and he's gotten me a few times (all in play :D). Nothing's ever happened.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
12-11-17, 02:10
yep plenty of deep scratches when playing with my cat...... Tetanus

You named your cat Tetanus?! :winks::D

denim03
12-11-17, 13:53
Agreed. I have a 17lb beast of a cat and he's gotten me a few times (all in play :D). Nothing's ever happened.

Positive thoughts

Is your cat an indoors cat? And have you had a tetanus shot? My cat is an outdoors cat and I have not had a tetanus shot in well over 15 years at least. That's what scares me.

Fishmanpa
12-11-17, 14:06
Is your cat an indoors cat? And have you had a tetanus shot? My cat is an outdoors cat and I have not had a tetanus shot in well over 15 years at least. That's what scares me.

His is but it doesn't matter. He's stepping in poo and pee in his litter box just like all cats do and nothing has ever happened to me. As with 99% of fears here, you're making Mt. Everest out of prairie land. Just keep it clean and if you're that concerned call your doctor. I don't think I've had a booster shot in over 40 years and it's never even a passing thought.

Positive thoughts

denim03
12-11-17, 15:14
His is but it doesn't matter. He's stepping in poo and pee in his litter box just like all cats do and nothing has ever happened to me. As with 99% of fears here, you're making Mt. Everest out of prairie land. Just keep it clean and if you're that concerned call your doctor. I don't think I've had a booster shot in over 40 years and it's never even a passing thought.

Positive thoughts

This happened at midnight on friday and my GP's surgery is closed during the weekends so I can't call until tomorrow. There is an on call GP surgery that's about a 20 minute car ride from where I live I don't know whether I should go there or wait until tomorrow when my GP's surgery opens, but what if it's too late to get the shot by then?... You're probably right. I probably am making a mountain out of a molehill, but with health anxiety once you get something in your head AND Google it you start to freak out. I'm scared my jaw and neck will start to stiffen at any moment.

Thank you for taking time to reply. I really appreciate it.

venusbluejeans
12-11-17, 15:52
You named your cat Tetanus?! :winks::D
yep my cats are called Tetanus, Sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia and synchronous diaphragmatic flutter :yesyes::yesyes:

Fishmanpa
12-11-17, 16:33
yep my cats are called Tetanus, Sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia and synchronous diaphragmatic flutter :yesyes::yesyes:

:roflmao: Their father was Dr. Google I assume? Curious as to their nick names ...

Positive thoughts

venusbluejeans
12-11-17, 17:27
:roflmao: Their father was Dr. Google I assume? Curious as to their nick names ...

Positive thoughts

Yep definitely Dr Google is their Dad...... he told me the nicknames were... Sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia - Ice-cream headache/brain freeze and synchronous diaphragmatic flutter - Hiccup :yahoo::roflmao:

or they could be....
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt6/emma_ward1/cats_zpsiz3foiwl.jpg

Sorry for taking over your thread...... Keep an eye on it, any redness or sign of infection then head to the drs :)

denim03
12-11-17, 17:46
Yep definitely Dr Google is their Dad...... he told me the nicknames were... Sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia - Ice-cream headache/brain freeze and synchronous diaphragmatic flutter - Hiccup :yahoo::roflmao:

or they could be....
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt6/emma_ward1/cats_zpsiz3foiwl.jpg

Sorry for taking over your thread...... Keep an eye on it, any redness or sign of infection then head to the drs :)

It's okay. You have lovely cats by the way and very creative name's.

So far, no pus or swelling or more than normal redness other than the wounds themselves being red but that's pretty normal I suppose? I was wondering though, you can get tetanus without the wounds actually getting infected? From what I've googled people get tetanus without even remember getting cut. :scared15:

Sorry for being annoying my anxiety is at an all time high since my 48h are up in some hours.

venusbluejeans
12-11-17, 18:40
So far, no pus or swelling or more than normal redness other than the wounds themselves being red but that's pretty normal I suppose?

Tetanus is an infection....... you have just said yourself there is no signs of infection :)

Tetanus is very rare

You will be fine.

Stop googling It really doesn't help... always tells you the worst possible outcome.

and thank you, they are lovely most of the time :)

Moso13
12-11-17, 19:32
You'll know if a cut is infected, it is quite obvious. As long as you cleaned it you should be fine. If you're still that concerned just go get a shot tomorrow.

Chris 614
13-11-17, 02:14
I have multiple cats. Endless scratches. No problems. Tetanus is so rare. In the United States around 40 people a year get it. (And half of those people were current with their vaccine.) Our population is over 330 million. Tetanus needs an airless wound to stay alive. That's why you hear about tetanus being associated with stepping on a nail. If a wound bleeds that means it is not an airless situation. Even if someone gets a deep puncture wound it is 99.9999999999% likely to be fine. Anyway, just my two cents.

MyNameIsTerry
13-11-17, 02:52

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

When you call them in at night they are probably all sitting looking up at you before you've finished! :D

Lovely pics of them, very cute. http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/kitten/t09034.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-kitten.php)http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/kitten/t09039.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-kitten.php)http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/kitten/t09027.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-kitten.php)

OP - I don't own cats but my GF has had them for decades and gets scratched lots too. They've scratched me when playing. I've been scratched a few times or bitten by playful cats when out walking and they come over for a fuss. Like everyone says, it's very likely nothing will come of this and it's easy enough to monitor the wound for any signs of infection. Tetanus is such a non issue that over here we don't even keep up on Tetanus jabs and hospitals just give them out when there is a need e.g. accidents in.

Chris 614
13-11-17, 04:24
In the United States i think the shots are over used. It seems like I was always getting one at the doctor's office. I had all of my childhood shots...And if we got a cut that the doctor looked at...I'm not even talking about one that required stitches...the doctor said we should get another one. (My mom would take us to the doctor for cuts. Sigh.) Anyway, from birth to age 33 I had nine tetanus shots. That's too many!

MyNameIsTerry
13-11-17, 04:34
I think I've only ever had one, Chris. That would have been childhood. My dad worked in agriculture and had a few accidents with machinery over the years and he would sometimes get one in A&E but not always. If you were sure when you had one last, they wouldn't bother.

It sounds like with antiobiotics, dish 'em out like sweets until told not too.

Chris 614
13-11-17, 10:31
I'm surprised by how little some medical people know about tetanus. My mom was always frantic about cuts and tetanus. Probably why that was a trigger for me for so long. Then I did the research and learned about it. It wasn't as scary then. When I was younger, even though we did know when our last shot was, if it was a few years prior to whatever cut i had, they would give you one "just to be safe"! Back then they said we needed one every five years. Now it's every ten. My last one was 24 years ago. Nine shots is enough!

denim03
13-11-17, 11:57
I have multiple cats. Endless scratches. No problems. Tetanus is so rare. In the United States around 40 people a year get it. (And half of those people were current with their vaccine.) Our population is over 330 million. Tetanus needs an airless wound to stay alive. That's why you hear about tetanus being associated with stepping on a nail. If a wound bleeds that means it is not an airless situation. Even if someone gets a deep puncture wound it is 99.9999999999% likely to be fine. Anyway, just my two cents.

There's actually data on this? Reading this does reassure me a bit. Thank you for taking time to write this. I get scratched by my cat as well on regular basis but she was falling off the balcony this time I.e. fighting for her life so she gave me a deep scratch and a puncture wound next to it. It didn't bleed much. Have you always been up to date with your tetanus shot when getting scratched by the cats? Also are they all indoor cats?

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

When you call them in at night they are probably all sitting looking up at you before you've finished! :D

Lovely pics of them, very cute. http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/kitten/t09034.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-kitten.php)http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/kitten/t09039.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-kitten.php)http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/kitten/t09027.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-kitten.php)

OP - I don't own cats but my GF has had them for decades and gets scratched lots too. They've scratched me when playing. I've been scratched a few times or bitten by playful cats when out walking and they come over for a fuss. Like everyone says, it's very likely nothing will come of this and it's easy enough to monitor the wound for any signs of infection. Tetanus is such a non issue that over here we don't even keep up on Tetanus jabs and hospitals just give them out when there is a need e.g. accidents in.

Oh yes it's impossible to own a cat and not get scratched. I've gotten my fair share of scratches from my cat as well. This time she was very scared since she was hanging from the balcony and was about to fall so she gave me a nasty deep scratch and a puncture wound next to it. She is an outdoor cat and we live next to the woods so she comes home with soiled feet every day. That, plus my last tetanus shot being well over 15 years ago has sent me in a vicious cycle of constant worry of getting tetanus. So far, no signs of infection. I'm guessing since they're not so strict with the jabs there you're not up to date with it either?

Also, thank you for taking time to reply. I really appreciated.

Chris 614
13-11-17, 20:03
My last shot was 24 years ago. My last cat scratches were a few weeks ago. And It was pretty bad. And I've had dozens before that. I have a screened in back porch with a small screened in grassy area. The dogs and cats are in and out all day. And I live in a forested area.

And, yes, you can find factual information about tetanus online. That's where I got my information. Don't read stuff by non professionals.

Awhile back I read about vaccine protocol in the UK. I thought is said that once you got your childhood vaccines you were protected for life, unless you had a major incident occur? Also, symptoms of tetanus will present themselves within 21 days...usually within 5-10 days. Again, very rare! I think the tetanus numbers in the UK were less than ten people a year getting it. I can't remember exactly. It's been awhile since I read about it. Think about all of the people who garden and play sports and farmers and construction workers and all the cuts and scrapes they get every day. And I have never read about someone getting tetanus from a cat scratch.

denim03
14-11-17, 22:51
My last shot was 24 years ago. My last cat scratches were a few weeks ago. And It was pretty bad. And I've had dozens before that. I have a screened in back porch with a small screened in grassy area. The dogs and cats are in and out all day. And I live in a forested area.

And, yes, you can find factual information about tetanus online. That's where I got my information. Don't read stuff by non professionals.

Awhile back I read about vaccine protocol in the UK. I thought is said that once you got your childhood vaccines you were protected for life, unless you had a major incident occur? Also, symptoms of tetanus will present themselves within 21 days...usually within 5-10 days. Again, very rare! I think the tetanus numbers in the UK were less than ten people a year getting it. I can't remember exactly. It's been awhile since I read about it. Think about all of the people who garden and play sports and farmers and construction workers and all the cuts and scrapes they get every day. And I have never read about someone getting tetanus from a cat scratch.

Thank you, Chris. Your posts have been helpful in calming me down a bit. It's nice to know that someone else who is not up-to-date with his tetanus shot is okay despite being badly scratched by his cats, who also go outside. It's hard to think rational when a catastrophic thought takes over your mind.

MyNameIsTerry
15-11-17, 02:09
Oh yes it's impossible to own a cat and not get scratched. I've gotten my fair share of scratches from my cat as well. This time she was very scared since she was hanging from the balcony and was about to fall so she gave me a nasty deep scratch and a puncture wound next to it. She is an outdoor cat and we live next to the woods so she comes home with soiled feet every day. That, plus my last tetanus shot being well over 15 years ago has sent me in a vicious cycle of constant worry of getting tetanus. So far, no signs of infection. I'm guessing since they're not so strict with the jabs there you're not up to date with it either?

Also, thank you for taking time to reply. I really appreciated.

No, I won't be up to date. I'm 41 now and I can't ever remember having one as an adult. The childhood injections are supposed to be long lasting though.

Something interesting our NHS says:
From January to December 2016, there were only four cases of tetanus in England. The number is low because an effective tetanus vaccine is given as part of the NHS childhood vaccination programme.

Most people who get tetanus weren't vaccinated against it or didn't complete the entire vaccination schedule.

So, there we have 4 people in a whole year in the UK. And they say most weren't properly vaccinated. Doesn't that say how effective it is?

denim03
15-11-17, 22:50
No, I won't be up to date. I'm 41 now and I can't ever remember having one as an adult. The childhood injections are supposed to be long lasting though.

Something interesting our NHS says:
From January to December 2016, there were only four cases of tetanus in England. The number is low because an effective tetanus vaccine is given as part of the NHS childhood vaccination programme.

Most people who get tetanus weren't vaccinated against it or didn't complete the entire vaccination schedule.

So, there we have 4 people in a whole year in the UK. And they say most weren't properly vaccinated. Doesn't that say how effective it is?
4 people in a whole year? That does sound calming. Thank for the information.

Apparently the last tetanus shot you get here in Sweden is around the age of 13-14 at school. I don't remember getting that, but my memory is pretty crappy so I might as well have.

venusbluejeans
15-11-17, 23:03
Hows the finger? healing nicely?

MyNameIsTerry
16-11-17, 05:03
4 people in a whole year? That does sound calming. Thank for the information.

Apparently the last tetanus shot you get here in Sweden is around the age of 13-14 at school. I don't remember getting that, but my memory is pretty crappy so I might as well have.

Exactly. And don't forget they mention it's mostly by people who didn't properly follow the shots anyway.

So, that "mostly" of 4 in that year! That reduces the odds for most of the population even further!

I can remember having various shorts as a child but not really what most were for. According the NHS, they have a childhood prigramme so I wold imagine we are all dealt with the same as the WHO guide all of our countries and we collaborate as members of the EU/EEA over medical matters including drug licencing.

denim03
17-11-17, 17:40
Hows the finger? healing nicely?

The wound is healing nicely, thank you for asking. I've developed a slight fever these past 2 days though and get chills at times. Cat scratch fever did cross my mind lol.

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

Exactly. And don't forget they mention it's mostly by people who didn't properly follow the shots anyway.

So, that "mostly" of 4 in that year! That reduces the odds for most of the population even further!

I can remember having various shorts as a child but not really what most were for. According the NHS, they have a childhood prigramme so I wold imagine we are all dealt with the same as the WHO guide all of our countries and we collaborate as members of the EU/EEA over medical matters including drug licencing.

But they are only 4. I'm guessing there's a big number of people who haven't followed their vaccination shots properly and still didn't get it despite cuts/injuries?

We have a childhood programme here too. I'm just not sure about the one at school since I was often sick from school during that age so I might have missed that shot. But I am going to try and not obsess over if I've had that shot or not.

venusbluejeans
17-11-17, 18:08
Good to hear :)

don't read too much into it, there are plenty of minor winter bugs going around :)