PDA

View Full Version : have a irregular heartbeat but test show nothing, but its there!

RJJones
12-11-17, 23:54
Hi,

I have a home blood pressure monitor. And 3 days ago it showed as i have a irregular heartbeat. Of course i am now in panic mod. I have 2 kids to look after and freaking out. I went to 3 doctors in 3 days. 2 could not pick up my irregular heartbeat. 1 did feel a miss beat. So that day i went up to the hospital and got a ECG and bloods done. All came back fine. 3 months ago i had a heart ultrasound because of high blood pressure, like 160/100. But everything seemed fine. I had a 24 hour bP monitor 2 times, 1 passed 1 didn't just. Anyways, today i can feel the my heart slow down, stop then go again.
This morning my BP Monitor picked up the miss beat or something, so im off to the DR again. I am not sure what the heck is going on, but i cant help but to feel like this is bad. Like, if my heart ultrasound was fine 3 months ago, maybe something has changed? I did drink lots of alcohol the day before my BP machine went crazy. Though 1 day before i did drink, my BP Monitor picked it up. Im not sure if the drinking made it worse or it was coming anyway.

I guess just keep asking for tests until the DR pick something up?

Thanks for any advice. My anxiety has taken a turn for the worse due to this and its not helping feeling like this around my kids.

EDIT: i have had A LOT of heart burn.
And i smoke.

Aaahhfreakout
13-11-17, 03:35
If no test has yet recorded an ECG which confirmed and diagnosed the missed beats then asking the doctors if there is any way to record your heart for a few days hopefully should get you a portable Holter monitor.

Just don't tell them you know the monitors are called that as doctors tend to assume knowledgeable patients are hypochondriacs. :winks:

It's probably nothing to worry about anyway.

I am suspicious of the blood pressure monitors ability to diagnose heart beat irregularities. What sort of monitor is it?

RJJones
13-11-17, 05:23
If no test has yet recorded an ECG which confirmed and diagnosed the missed beats then asking the doctors if there is any way to record your heart for a few days hopefully should get you a portable Holter monitor.

Just don't tell them you know the monitors are called that as doctors tend to assume knowledgeable patients are hypochondriacs. :winks:

It's probably nothing to worry about anyway.

I am suspicious of the blood pressure monitors ability to diagnose heart beat irregularities. What sort of monitor is it?

Hi Mate, thanks for your reply. Hoping its nothing thats for sure.
I went to the doctors today, and he couldn't pic up my irregular heartbeat. Like the doc's seem to only test for like 6/7 beats, i guess they can tell in that time if you have a irregular heartbeat or not. Im going on a ecg holter monitor 24 hours this week some time which is good. The Doctor said, if you were going to die from this, you would have already been dead. I guess his right maybe lol?

Basically thats 4 out of 5 Doctors that say i haven't and 1 saying i have got a irregular heartbeat.

Also my BP Monitor is a Omron HEM-7280T.
It runs through the Omron APP on my phone by bluetooth and records reading. At the time my beats do feel out of whack, this thing detects it. But like now, my heart feels as its beating normal again atm. I just used this BP Monitor before and no irregular heartbeat was detected. Maybe its a morning thing for the heart miss beat or something. But on Saturday, i could feel it all day, and the BP Monitor detected it all day.

Thanks.

WiredIncorrectly
13-11-17, 12:28
When I have ECG's at A&E they're usually around a minute long.

The funny thing is I could be having palpitations all day, but the moment they hook me up to record they stop. It's as if my heart knows it's being monitored and starts behaving. Happened on my last visit. The doctor did an ECG, checked my pulse with his finger, and used a scope. Each time he monitored they went away. As soon as she removes the pads from my chest they're back. People must think I'm nuts because they're definitely real and can be felt.

I have a BP machine that shows irregular heartbeat too whenever I measure during a bout of ectopics. I threw it in the attic though because I became a bit OCD with the testing.

You have the same problems and I and many others on this forum.

Talking about them causes them too. Had 5 while writing this. Had non before I started replying. Go figure.

I would also like to note that last year my brother was experiencing ectopics/palpitations. It freaked him out and he rushed to the doctors. Doctor told him "You have an irregular heartbeat. Go to A&E now". He went to A&E, they hooked him up, and sent him home. They caught them on the monitor but told him they're harmless and he needs to see his doc for anxiety medications.

Aaahhfreakout
13-11-17, 16:17
Also my BP Monitor is a Omron HEM-7280T.
It runs through the Omron APP on my phone by bluetooth and records reading. At the time my beats do feel out of whack, this thing detects it. But like now, my heart feels as its beating normal again atm. I just used this BP Monitor before and no irregular heartbeat was detected. Maybe its a morning thing for the heart miss beat or something. But on Saturday, i could feel it all day, and the BP Monitor detected it all day.

Ah cool, thanks. I see it detects the heart by the blood pressure cuff so it's probably not as precise as an actual ECG.

It's good that you're getting a Holter so I hope you get a recording of the skipped beats.

RJJones
14-11-17, 09:42
Ah cool, thanks. I see it detects the heart by the blood pressure cuff so it's probably not as precise as an actual ECG.

It's good that you're getting a Holter so I hope you get a recording of the skipped beats.

True, it also mite be my anxiety setting it off to i don't know.

Yeah see what happens, i get the 24 hour this Thursday, and already the anxiety stress has kicked in, headaches, dizzy and everything alse that comes with it. Took Xanax and Valium to try and calm it, but no go. Thanks again mate to.

I have a BP machine that shows irregular heartbeat too whenever I measure during a bout of ectopics. I threw it in the attic though because I became a bit OCD with the testing.

You have the same problems and I and many others on this forum.

Yes, its like a addiction, when ever my anxiety kicks up, like now. I think i have high blood pressure and run to my machine. I just dont have the will power to throw it out. Today when i seen my own Dr, she asked me to bring my BP monitor in next time and hand it over!
Thanks for your reply.

RJJones
17-11-17, 00:31
I had my ECG 24 hour done, i didn't get my full results back yet, i just got like a run down from the Doctor. The results say i have nothing life threatening, but the doctor did say i had some issue with my heart from drinking to much and or being over weight. He couldn't tell me much more than that. Of course im starting to freak out, as i have to wait till next week for the full results. My anxiety was actually getting a tiny bit better to. I know when i had my heart ultrasound that they picked up that my heart on one side was a tiny bit bigger, or something like that. But at that time the doctor said it was caused from having high blood pressure. Could the ECG have picked up around the same thing?
Thanks.

Aaahhfreakout
17-11-17, 13:50
An ECG can suggest that part of the heart has grown more muscular so it may well be the same thing the ultrasound found.

The heart can become bigger from exercise, overuse of alcohol, high blood pressure, being overweight, etc.

As with any muscle, when asked to work harder, it grows.

One issue as it grows is that the electrical wiring gets stretched and can start to misfire. This is true even for elite athletes, not just for people with health problems.

It may be that everything is related. At least the doctor is confident there's nothing to really worry about.

RJJones
18-11-17, 00:07
An ECG can suggest that part of the heart has grown more muscular so it may well be the same thing the ultrasound found.

The heart can become bigger from exercise, overuse of alcohol, high blood pressure, being overweight, etc.

As with any muscle, when asked to work harder, it grows.

One issue as it grows is that the electrical wiring gets stretched and can start to misfire. This is true even for elite athletes, not just for people with health problems.

It may be that everything is related. At least the doctor is confident there's nothing to really worry about.
Yeah mate, you're probably right, hopefully it has picked up the same thing.

I have been overweight for like 7 years. I have lost 20kg, but still my weight is 100kg. Currently on a diet and cutting down smoking to hopefully quit. The DR said no drinking for 4 months, no coffee, no soft drink lose weight eat healthy. I only have 2 coffees a day, surely one will not hurt, i don't drink soft drink anyway so thats good i guess. I can live without the alcohol, although my birthday and new years is coming, i guess i just not drink.

If i can aim for a healthy weight, maybe i can have a few drinks to celebrate.

Thanks again for your replies mate and others. I never get any replies on other sites like crazy boards or patient info. So i am very thankful for the support.

Cheers.

ZigZag
18-11-17, 09:49
I have similar issues in that my heart symptoms - rapid irregular pulse - would never occur when I was at the hospital being monitored. ECGs always looked normal. So I have bought myself a Kardia device (do internet search on Alivecor. You can buy it on Amazon) which connects via an App on your smartphone/tablet etc. This is an amazing device which gives a medical grade ecg recording which you can print out or email direct to your doctor. I took some recordings during consecutive nights and as a result I am going to have a holter monitor for a few days. This device has meant that my arrhythmias have been taken seriously and my symptoms not simply attributed to anxiety and craziness.
A warning though - continual monitoring of your heartbeat only contributes to more anxiety so I would only recommend this if you are having heart issues but feel no-one is taking you seriously. I also find it helps during an attack of rapid pulse to watch my heartbeat and try to slow it down mentally which I can sometimes. If I just lie in bed I am aware of my heartbeat getting faster and faster and then it goes out of control. If I use the Kardia monitor i can see exactly what's happening and if my pulse is eg. 140bpm I try to slow down my breathing and focus on the number which helps. It might not help everyone so consider carefully if you would benefit from this device. The arrhythmia nurse at the hospital recommended it by the way.

Aaahhfreakout
18-11-17, 14:18
If i can aim for a healthy weight, maybe i can have a few drinks to celebrate.

Thanks again for your replies mate and others. I never get any replies on other sites like crazy boards or patient info. So i am very thankful for the support.

No problem. I'm just putting what I learned from my own health anxiety to use in the hope it helps others.

Also, occasional celebrations won't do any harm, so you should have fun if you want to. :D

RJJones
29-11-17, 07:14
Cheers again Aaahhfreakout.

Ok so i had missed beats last night and this morning for some unknown reason.
I decided to go get my full results of my ECG Holter monitor. Dr said it did pick up my messed beats. So i can confirm i have PVCs. Kinda freaked out about them of course. I'm not a huge fan of beta blockers as i freak out at any new tablet. But maybe its better than putting up with these skipped beats going to sleep. I think its ok to say im not going to die from the PVCs? The DR said thats all they found in the results. I just need to control my anxiety for the next 24 hours not to stress to much.

Cheers.

Goblin88
30-11-17, 16:01
Cheers again Aaahhfreakout.

Ok so i had missed beats last night and this morning for some unknown reason.
I decided to go get my full results of my ECG Holter monitor. Dr said it did pick up my messed beats. So i can confirm i have PVCs. Kinda freaked out about them of course. I'm not a huge fan of beta blockers as i freak out at any new tablet. But maybe its better than putting up with these skipped beats going to sleep. I think its ok to say im not going to die from the PVCs? The DR said thats all they found in the results. I just need to control my anxiety for the next 24 hours not to stress to much.

Cheers.

PVC’s, while uncomfortable, are absolutely benign and nothing you need to be worried about. Anxiety can bring these on and their occurrence does not mean you have any specific heart condition, especially after you’ve been checked out and that’s all they’ve found.