PDA

View Full Version : I went and got sun stroke :(

motox&mascara
13-11-17, 00:47
Hey all,

Seems i've been posting a bit the last little while (apologies), but I know that this is a place I can "vent" to others who understand me.
After finding out about my Bruit my HA has been in overdrive. My family are all but ignoring me. I'm in a really bad place but trying to take each day as it comes. I am still waiting on the date of my ultrasound to check out the Bruit so of course during this wait I am petrified I am going to have a stroke.

Anyway, my question is, has anyone else suffered actual sunstroke/heat exhaustion? And can comment on when it will get better :scared15:

Yesterday I spent the day out on the motocross track, felt really good to get some pent up adrenaline out and was feeling quite positive afterwards and like I had had some relief from my symptoms, while also proving in a way, that if there really was something wrong, I wouldn't have been able to go hard on a bike, with my heartrate up, around a track for the majority of the day.
Anyway, on our way home I felt really exhausted, more so than normal, but put it down to riding.
Fast forward a few hours and I was nauseous, trying not to throw up, then came the shivering but feeling hot at the same time, skin was sensitive to the touch and my kidneys hurt, all I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and die. I knew I was most probably suffering from sunstroke, but wasn't sure if my anxiety was making it way worse. Anywho had a look on google, worked myself up and called the healthline (who decided it best to call an ambulance). Ambulance turned up I was tachy and BP was high. Because my temp was nearing 40 they took me off to the hospital. A blood test, urine test and a IV of fluid later, they couldn't find any sign of infection and put it down to heat exhaustion. Told me to rest and drink plenty of water.

Its the next day and I feel like utter garbage. It's like the flu without the actual flu lol, all the same kind of feelings. I worry that maybe its something else, but then the tests were all clear from infection (they originally thought it could be a kidney infection but obviously there was nothing in my urine or bloods apart from a little raised WBC). I had to go into work because my manager is off sick so I didn't want to let my other workmate down and on her own. I am resisting the urge to vomit and fall asleep at my desk - its literally hell...so much for that rest eh :lac:

Sorry if this is a bit of ramble, I am not in the best of places at the moment and as well as suffering this "heatstroke", feel really depressed also. My family are all but ignoring me, they are totally over me and think I just make all this stuff up, I guess i'm like "the girl who cried wolf", and my partner is really stressed out about it all and I guess feeling a bit helpless as to how to handle my constant health worries. I actually dont even know what I am really asking for here, I guess just to get it out somewhere, see if anyone has suffered heat stroke like this, how long it took to pass, and if I should be worrying so much about it. The hospital didn't seem to be to concerned about it - I mean, I wasn't dying...

My health anxiety really gets me down, I feel like a shell of the person I was and I don't enjoy life as much as I used to. Im so scared I will never be myself again, or at least never be happy again. I feel like a crap mum, a crap partner, a overall crap person. And feeling really alone in it all. I am waiting to get back into a pshycyatrist, but the wait is long - I almost feel like there is no help for people like me.

I am almost crying typing this out...i wouldn't wish HA on anyone.

Sorry for my ramble but i'll be so grateful for any replies :blush:

Thanks in advance...
A

Hypomean
13-11-17, 01:23
Sounds like you got really dehydrated.
Have you been drinking liquids?

.Poppy.
13-11-17, 16:01
Definitely make sure you are drinking plenty of water. If you are sunburned, apply aloe vera.

It'll probably take a few days to pass, but it doesn't sound like you are in any real danger right now. You'll just feel crummy for awhile.

A few years ago I went to South Padre with friends for spring break. I laid out on the beach all day with sunscreen only applied to my face and shoulders (smart!). I got a TERRIBLE sunburn, probably the worst I've had, and sunsick as well. It hurt just to exist, I was freezing, dehydrated, nauseous, etc. I'd shower - painfully - and then shiver as I put aloe vera on myself. Then I'd be cold, so I'd get into bed under blankets, but the blankets hurt and my skin was hot, so I was both hot AND cold and there was no way to win. I spent a good couple of days in bed watching Netflix, but it did get better. I got over the sunsickness long before the burn.

motox&mascara
13-11-17, 23:34
thanks for the replies :D

Sounds like you got really dehydrated.
Have you been drinking liquids?

I hadn't that day, but have been since I got back from Hospital.
I usually drink at least 2L a day of water, my partner always jokes that i'm going to drown myself (not the best thing to say to someone with HA :roflmao:) but my anxiety has been quite bad so I am assuming my body is extremely run down so I got dehydrated faster, just my assumption though.

Definitely make sure you are drinking plenty of water. If you are sunburned, apply aloe vera.gh.

It'll probably take a few days to pass, but it doesn't sound like you are in any real danger right now. You'll just feel crummy for awhile.

A few years ago I went to South Padre with friends for spring break. I laid out on the beach all day with sunscreen only applied to my face and shoulders (smart!). I got a TERRIBLE sunburn, probably the worst I've had, and sunsick as well. It hurt just to exist, I was freezing, dehydrated, nauseous, etc. I'd shower - painfully - and then shiver as I put aloe vera on myself. Then I'd be cold, so I'd get into bed under blankets, but the blankets hurt and my skin was hot, so I was both hot AND cold and there was no way to win. I spent a good couple of days in bed watching Netflix, but it did get better. I got over the sunsickness long before the burn.

Yeah, the hospital couldn't find anything serious just said it was heat exhaustion. The whole dehydration thing makes sense now though because i' can tell by my stools (sorry TMI!!) :wacko::roflmao: that'll teach me! So its onto metamucil and a healthy diet to try help balance things back out.
Feeling a little better today *touch wood*. I can only explain the experience as having a really bad flu.
Totally get what you mean about the hot and cold and not being able to win haha, that's exactly what happened to me. I was so cold I was wrapped up in blankets then to hot and sweating...I never want to experience it again!!
__________________________________________________ _______

Hopefully this all passes soon, obviously I have other health worries at present (currently waiting on a ultrasound for the hum found in my neck and dr just let me know he wants another MRI done to just to be safe) that I am trying not to worry about, and stressing about the time i've had off work, but I really need to work hard at getting on top of all of this.

A

au Lait
14-11-17, 01:56
I’ve had full on heat exhaustion once before. It’s really scary. You’ve already had a work up and found that you’re normal, so nothing to be concerned about. I’m sorry you couldn’t get a proper day of rest afterwards. :( But you’ll feel better again soon. It takes awhile to pass sometimes. Plus if you’re feeling super anxious on top of it that could exacerbate it.