PDA

View Full Version : Pulmonary Hypertension

murky.lexicon
14-11-17, 12:35
This is my first post ever and I'm really helping you guys can talk me down from this panic attack.
I've had heart palpitations for at least ten years. Many times they seem to come with stress or anxiety but sometimes seem random. I experience them often but then can go months without feeling any.
About six months ago, I started having dizzy spells and went to the doctor. He ordered a blood test but the dizziness eased up and I never had the test done. He also ordered and EKG and a heart monitor to be worn for 14 days. He has never been very concerned about my palpitations but knows I have anxiety and is willing to give me tests sometimes just to set my mind at ease.
I just went and got the EKG and heart monitor 4 days ago. I've logged a few palpitations on the monitor so I guess I'll soon find out if they are an issue. The trouble is, I received a call telling me the Heart Insistute wants me to come back for an echocardiogram. When I asked why, they said it was to rule out pulmonary hypertension. I immediately hung up and googled it to find out it's a fatal condition.
I have since talked to my family doctor again who has the results of my EKG. He said I have right bundle branch block, which is usually a benign condition but is sometimes caused by pulmonary hypertension. He didn't seem concerned about pulmonary hypertension and told me usually patients with it come to see him so out of breath, they struggle with daily life. I have no symptoms for it other than occasional dizziness and the palpitations which have gotten no worse in the last ten years. He said he'd be very surprised if anything unusual showed up in the next test, as I'm a very healthy person.
I even called the heart institute again and was told the doctor who reveiwed my EKG said it looked fine but he wanted to be thorough.
But now that the idea has been planted in my head, it's all I can think about. I'm beside myself with panic and my husband is staying home from work today because I don't feel I can take care of the kids. I need to come down from this terrifying place I'm in because I won't have the results of my echocardiogram for days and I can't stay like this until then. Please help me!

Aaahhfreakout
14-11-17, 18:09
From what I've read, if it were pulmonary hypertension then the symptoms would increase with exercise.

It doesn't sound like this is the case as you didn't mention it. If you exercised or were quite active in the last few months and didn't notice anything, then it sounds good.

I think it's true they're really just being careful. Hope it goes well. :)

murky.lexicon
15-11-17, 02:40
Thanks for your support. I had the echocardiogram this afternoon and, I suppose due to my obvious distress, they processed the results very quickly. My very patient doctor called me from his home tonight to let me know he had gotten the results and everything came back normal.

Aaahhfreakout
15-11-17, 12:28
Nice. :yesyes: