PDA

View Full Version : Someone please frame this rationally!

jonowalks
15-11-17, 19:00
Hi guys

Long story short I've had heart worries for the last few years. Never had any symptoms that would ever point to any heart issues but had some tests due to palpations a couple of weeks ago. The palps aren't a massive issue (really busy day, first time Id sat down all day long) but I had a blood test and ecg at the docs to be safe. Now if they were someone else's results then I'd say "nothing to worry about" but I can't view my own objectively. Also bear in mind I've lost 61lbs since May in order to get healthier....

ECG (fine and nothing to cause concern)
All bloods fine except for cholesterol which I had borderline low HDL amounts. It works out at...

Total cholesterol 3.5
HDL 0.7
Adjusted Ratio Cholesterol 4.0

I have no risk factors other than being a smoker and I've lost enough weight for that to longer be an issue.

Would somebody please tell me that I'm looking for a problem that isn't there?

ServerError
15-11-17, 19:03
The test results literally told you that. I'm happy to reiterate it, though. You're fine.

jonowalks
15-11-17, 20:23
Thanks ServerError! As I say I know fine well I'm OK but just that 0.3 under "acceptable" HDL makes me concerned (for no reason of course) I also know in my head that my big weight loss, the fact I didn't have a fasting blood test and, I'll pull something out of the air, that it was a Tuesday means that my cholesterol could be a little screwy anyways. Sigh.... Anxiety.

ServerError
15-11-17, 20:26
I can't really comment on your cholesterol. I don't have the training to interpret that finding and how it affects you. The person to talk that through with is a doctor. But I would just suggest you try to think of all the millions of people walking around with tiny deficiencies like this that never know about and never suffer for it.

It's sounds like a miniscule issue that won't have any bearing on your health, especially if you look after yourself.

Fishmanpa
15-11-17, 20:29
I have no risk factors other than being a smoker

I'm a two time heart attack, triple bypass and stent survivor (not to mention Stage IVa Head and Neck cancer). I was in phenomenal shape when my 1st heart attack hit. I was also a smoker! I was told flat out that the smoking contributed to my heart issues and cancer.

If you want to give yourself a fighting chance to not develop heart issues, quit smoking, eat right and continue with the weight control.

Positive thoughts

jonowalks
15-11-17, 21:16
I'm with you fishmanpa. As I say I've no risk factors except smoking but believe me I know it's one of the worst habits both for your wallet and most importantly your health so I'll be dropping it in the very near foreseeable future!

Gary A
15-11-17, 21:35
I'm with you fishmanpa. As I say I've no risk factors except smoking but believe me I know it's one of the worst habits both for your wallet and most importantly your health so I'll be dropping it in the very near foreseeable future!

I recently quit smoking (and it’s not contributing to me being a grumpy bast*rd, honest) and honestly I just got to a point of being unable to afford it. Obviously there are huge health benefits and it’s quite possibly the worst habit to have when it comes to your health, but jeez, £10 - £12 for a pack?