PDA

View Full Version : Massive anxiety from antibiotics?

ankietyjoe
17-11-17, 17:44
Has anybody else experienced this?

I started a course of penicillin yesterday for a chest infection, and about 12 hours after taking the course I started having huge anxiety symptoms. Not panic attacks, just persistent anxiety. Feels like constant adrenaline. Shaky, twitchy, nervous, on and off palps, muscle weakness etc.

I’ve read some reports of this happening to other people, but I wondered what others experiences here, specifically whether they persisted with the antibiotics. I’m loathe to stop one and start another, only to be in the same boat anyway.

Fishmanpa
17-11-17, 17:53
Many fear taking any medication and react poorly. There are pages of threads about this. A quick search will reveal that. Take your meds as you need them and you'll feel better soon.

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
17-11-17, 17:57
I had no fear taking them at all. My general anxiety has been under control for a while, this came totally unexpectedly and is persistent. I’m not having a panic attack, it feels more like a physiological response.

Benjammin69
18-11-17, 20:07
I’ve had some interactions whilst they do not cause anxiety they do kill bacteria in your stomach (good and bad ) the issue is - serotonin is 80% from the gut so this is why I can impact depression and anxiety when you take meds that are harsh on the stomach.... it will subside and you will return to base level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ankietyjoe
20-11-17, 11:35
I’ve had some interactions whilst they do not cause anxiety they do kill bacteria in your stomach (good and bad ) the issue is - serotonin is 80% from the gut so this is why I can impact depression and anxiety when you take meds that are harsh on the stomach.... it will subside and you will return to base level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that does make sense to me.

Almost complete shutdown of my appetite and insomnia were added to the mix of side effects I experienced on Amoxicillin so I had to stop taking them.

Really nasty.

Worriedwellornot
01-01-18, 12:28
I've been feeling the same with my antibiotics. Can't stop crying and having dark thoughts. I'm on my 3rd lot so thats not helping. Hope you are feeling better