PDA

View Full Version : advice on contagiousness

cofo
19-11-17, 17:47
hello
i'm curious about how contagious staph or strep is.
my husband had to have a cyst lanced and drained on his rear end(poor guy) and they sent it out to be cultured. they put him on antibiotics yesterday while we wait for the results. meanwhile, it's oozing and bleeding, etc... sorry. :scared15:

i'm kinda freaking out because if it is staph or strep i don't want me or my son to get it. we have 2 bathrooms and my son and husband use the same one, shower and toilet.
how contagious is this if it is an infection? could my son get it from taking a shower in the same shower? should i make my son use my bathroom for a while?

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 ----------

any help???
i'm kinda freaking out. i'm afraid the laundry is all contanminated and everything...
although i did read on a cdc.gov page that just regular washing is all that is recommended, even for mrsa.
why isn't that comforting me...

KK77
19-11-17, 18:23
Hospitals are full of nasty bugs like these and their washing machines cope with cleaning bed linen, gowns etc, so don't see why your washing would be "contaminated" either, especially since you don't even know whether your husband actually has any of these infections to potentially pass on to you and your son.

au Lait
19-11-17, 19:12
Contamination fears are pretty common for anxiety sufferers. Our anxiety tends to blow the perceived threat of contamination out of proportion. I’m sure your husband is keeping the lesion as clean as he can. That’s pretty much all that is needed. There is virtually no way that you or your son could get an infection from him. It’s totally safe for your son to use the same bathroom as him.

cofo
20-11-17, 12:59
hi. thank y'all for the responses. i realize i blow the threat out of proportion, which is why i like to have the "facts" so that i can reassure myself when i start to spiral. i still don't know the real risks, although, i do know that you can get staph from just touching a shopping cart, or something like that. afterall, how did my husband get it?(if that's what he has). so, i know it is contagious. i just want to do what's necessary to minimize our risk, and not drive myself crazy doing ocd stuff...

thanks again