PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances of getting hiv from nail salon?

Graygray
19-11-17, 23:15
I was getting a manicure today and the nail lady cut the side of my finger with a metal tool and it is still bleeding. I don't know what the cleaning procedures for the equipment there are. I read online that there is a known case of someone getting hiv from sharing nail equipment in 2014. What are my chances of getting hiv from this?

lior
19-11-17, 23:20
Almost zero. There would have to be blood on the equipment and it would have to get into your cut.... and that blood would have to be from someone with HIV, and considering you're in the US that's unlikely... and even then, it's not a dead cert that you would get HIV even if someone infected's blood got into your cut. If someone has HIV and they got cut, they would be likely to tell people to clean their equipment to avoid infecting others.

This scenario is SO SO UNLIKELY. Look how it sounds. It's just not going to happen.

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:19 ----------

Hope you enjoy your manicure! :)

Graygray
19-11-17, 23:25
Almost zero. There would have to be blood on the equipment and it would have to get into your cut.... and that blood would have to be from someone with HIV, and considering you're in the US that's unlikely... and even then, it's not a dead cert that you would get HIV even if someone infected's blood got into your cut. If someone has HIV and they got cut, they would be likely to tell people to clean their equipment to avoid infecting others.

This scenario is SO SO UNLIKELY. Look how it sounds. It's just not going to happen.

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:19 ----------

Hope you enjoy your manicure! :)

Thank you!:) Im also noticing that there is these little line looking cuts lower on my finger not near my nail that look like cuts forming, but I think they are where my skin is cracking from the cold(it does that sometimes), not from the nail salon.

au Lait
20-11-17, 00:29
I am pretty sure that most nail salons in the US use autoclaves to sterilize their equipment. Autoclaves are also used in hospitals to sterilize surgical equipment. The chance of you getting HIV from a salon is pretty much nonexistent.

Weasley123
20-11-17, 00:33