PDA

View Full Version : Some Reassurance Would Be Nice :(

AtomicCookie
20-11-17, 03:58
So I have a growth on the left side of my tongue. Looks like a wart with hair like, or scaley surface. My mind keeps thinking the worst case scenario. I have even tried talking myself down with the following facts:

*Dentist said everything looks fine on my tongue. (Have geopgraphical tongue. Worried me till it came and went). If it stays looking the same, he said there is no need to worry.

*It is found right under a area in my tongue where I constantly bite. I have been known to grind my teeth and chew the sides of my tongue (Dentist confirmed by pointing out indentations on side of tongue)

* It doesn't hurt, nor do I show any other symptoms that should worry me.

*Everybody else says I am fine.

I have to go in again here in a week for a tooth cleaning. He said he'd check it then. If it was something to worry about he would surely have not sent me on my way right?

Stecakes
21-11-17, 00:29
A dentist would spot something sinister instantly. In fact dentists are far better qualified to spot Something sinister in the mouth than an oncologist. Also by the time something serious manifests as a sore in the mouth, people are usually already very ill.
Try not to worry

Deepseathree
22-11-17, 08:32
If it's a known area where you bite, then it's probably related to that. Could also be a canker sore. How long has it been there? How old are you?

AtomicCookie
02-12-17, 13:09
If it's a known area where you bite, then it's probably related to that. Could also be a canker sore. How long has it been there? How old are you?

I am so sorry I didn't reply. Recently had a family emergency with my grandfather so I kinda lost touch with the world.

It has been here for quite a while I believe? It's right under a bite area of my tongue where this is alot of indents from my teeth. I am currently 28.

---------- Post added at 13:09 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

UPDATE:

I went to my dentist who said it was most likely benign. It could either be a fibroma (Caused by biting) or Squamous Papiloma. From what I understand though...squamous is only obtained through the HPV virus? Even then if I did have HPV...only 13 out of the 100 strands can be precancerous.

I don't smoke, don't drink alcohol and am 28 years old. I feel pretty confident it isn't anything now. I still get that urge to Google sometimes..and he ordered a biopsy. Yet I know he does that because it is procedure to do so, not necessarily because it is cancerous. He even said it looked benign. I won't be able to get the biopsy for a month but..him saying it looked benign and wanting me to get a biopsy 'just to be safe' is kinda reasurring. I just have to work on that Google thing. When I get anxious...it just goes off.