PDA

View Full Version : I dunno, it might be true - brain tumor

atl
20-11-17, 04:20
I don't think I have ALS anymore. But I think it's possible I might have a brain tumor.

I've been having a lot of headaches lately. Almost every day. And they kinda come and go throughout the day, no real pattern. But a lot of times I can feel them when I bend over

My right leg frequently feels awkward when I walk on it. Like it's slower than my left. Feels that way when I exercise on it too.

I'm pretty sure my right pinky finger is weaker than my left. I can feel the weakness when I grab things. The only thing about this is that I jammed this finger pretty bad a couple months ago so that could be it. But it's been a long time to still feel week.

On the left side of my scalp behind my ear and down into my neck I have this odd sensation on my skin when something touches it, almost like a sunburn or something. It's a mild pain like that. I've had that for like 2 weeks.

When I am walking, if I look off to one side, I sorta feel unstable.

I'm not even all that nervous about it. It almost feels like it could be real. I don't have that panicked feeling like als, just a resigned and depressed feeling about it.

Atl

MyNameIsTerry
20-11-17, 04:53
It's good that you have moved on fom the ALS but this is the problem with obsessive-compulsive style disorders, they just come back with a new theme or nuance. That's why when treating them the look for the underlying reason and eliminate that instead of the "symptom" or "theme". Think of it as a flower, you pull the root rather than pick the petal. Petals regrow.

So, something to consider is you have gone from one deadly horrible condition to another - that's a good sign of a HAer right there, unless you are one of those extremely unlikely people in the world to get a life of lots of things.

And another sign of HA - look around the forum and tlel me how many people over the past 2 years or so have moved from one horrible condition to another. Now tell me how many of them ever had anything other that HA.

Weakness. Tick.
Balance issues. Tick.
Headaches. Tick.
Sensitivity issues (your skin issue). Tick.
Perceived slowness. Tick.

Been there, had all those and many more. Only difference is not being a HAer I knew they were anxiety and never questioned that. That's not to say they didn't make my anxiety worse and I hated them, I have always struggled most with the physical symptoms of anxiety.

Brain tumour. Well, we have people on here who have wanted loved ones suffer these and not make it. Ask them how a headache so crushing you are heading to hospital compares to what you are asking. I bet their loved ones couldn't type on here. And we even have a brain tumour sufferer on this very forum! He has a mild version that he is being treated/monitored for so they do find people with both anxiety & such a condition, it's not just passed off as anxiety, which suggests the symptoms stick out to a doctor.

Aren't we often low in Serotonin? Is that just brain Serotonin? Bare in mind nealy all the Serotonin in the body is outside of the brain and used on many functions, including muscle functions. But struggling with mental health certainly can affect brain Serotonin levels and this works on more thna just the mood function they tell us about, it's involved in memory, cognitive functions, etc.

heyitsmeyou
20-11-17, 12:20
I have a brain tumour. Fairly small and stable at this time. Everything you mentioned was never brought up in question with my neurologists and neurosurgeon. Those aren’t the type of symptoms they look for. It’s anxiety. Balance issues yes, but far from what you discussed. More like unable to stand, let alone walk strait. For headaches, they will be ungodly. This is because of inter-cranial hypertension. You see, our brains don’t really feel pain, but when a tumour creates pressure in your head, the surrounding tissues pick up the pain and swelling. With this, there will likely be more serious symptoms, not what you have discribed. You have anxiety.

atl
20-11-17, 13:31
Thank you both for taking the time to respond. Sometimes you get in these holes and you feel like it MUST be what you are fearing. It can't be anything else. I'm feeling a little bit more optimistic today. Maybe I just needed a good night's sleep.

Terry, you're right, all those things are very common on here. It's good to be reminded of that. And yes, it's the physical symptoms that seem to be the most difficult for me as well.

Heyitsmeyou, thank you for sharing your own experience. That's very generous of you, and good to know. I wish you all the best.

ATL

fma11122345
20-11-17, 14:04
Hello. I to have been in a HA flare about a possible brain tumor. It all started in October with a bit of blurry vision and hard to focus on reading (it would get shacky and I'd lose my spot) so of cores I googled it and it was a steady fall from there!. Now I have headache that mainly focus on the left side of my head (more of a numb feeling then a headache tho) which comes and go threw out the day and a numb pinky? So I thought I'd ask somebody who's gone threw it.

Thanks for your time

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

atl
20-11-17, 17:44
It sounds to me like those symptoms could be a lot of other things. The numb finger a lot of people have on here. And from what @heyitsmeyou said the headaches associated from brain tutors are quite intense.

fma11122345
20-11-17, 17:55
It alot better when I'm clam, so anxiety sure is a huge possibility. I just get flustered over it -.-

katniss
21-11-17, 01:18
Omg. I had the exact same symptoms as you 3 years ago! I even had the whole imbalance feeling in my leg and it felt REAL. I had this brain tumor fear for 4 months! I just got over it though. But seriously, it's nothing. And this is coming from someone that's been there

MyNameIsTerry
21-11-17, 02:13
I have a brain tumour. Fairly small and stable at this time. Everything you mentioned was never brought up in question with my neurologists and neurosurgeon. Those aren’t the type of symptoms they look for. It’s anxiety. Balance issues yes, but far from what you discussed. More like unable to stand, let alone walk strait. For headaches, they will be ungodly. This is because of inter-cranial hypertension. You see, our brains don’t really feel pain, but when a tumour creates pressure in your head, the surrounding tissues pick up the pain and swelling. With this, there will likely be more serious symptoms, not what you have discribed. You have anxiety.

^ You were the person I was thinking of so I hope I got the details right. If not, apologies.

---------- Post added at 02:13 ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 ----------

I saw a lady with ALS today, atl. Poor woman strapped in with a couple of young women taking her around a DIY store looking at the Xmas stuff. It makes you think about life.

Haced
21-11-17, 03:39
It alot better when I'm clam, so anxiety sure is a huge possibility. I just get flustered over it -.-

I've literally had this fear for the past week to the point where a panic attack made me pass out.

You're not alone, friend.

fma11122345
21-11-17, 03:42
I've literally had this fear for the past week to the point where a panic attack made me pass out.

You're not alone, friend.Its crazy isn't it? I now have a small tumbling in my right ear which is scaring the hell out of me -.-

atl
21-11-17, 05:15
^ You were the person I was thinking of so I hope I got the details right. If not, apologies.

---------- Post added at 02:13 ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 ----------

I saw a lady with ALS today, atl. Poor woman strapped in with a couple of young women taking her around a DIY store looking at the Xmas stuff. It makes you think about life.

Wow. Before my als fear I really didn't even know what it was. But what a horrific disease. My heart goes out to those folks. Amazing courage. And I think even though the past three months have been difficult it has given me a greater appreciation for life and what I have. I'm very lucky and I try not to take that for granted anymore.

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

Omg. I had the exact same symptoms as you 3 years ago! I even had the whole imbalance feeling in my leg and it felt REAL. I had this brain tumor fear for 4 months! I just got over it though. But seriously, it's nothing. And this is coming from someone that's been there

Wow, thank you for this! It really helps to not feel alone; to know someone else went through something similar. You even had the awkward hand thing? That's what's been hardest for me lately, feeling like my hand is weak or "off" something when I grab things.

Good news, haven't had a headache in a couple days! Must be the weekend :D

Thanks again,
Atl

MyNameIsTerry
21-11-17, 05:22
Yeah, you've got to admire that they keep fighting to live their lives despite all they go through.

Have you seen the headache threads where people have them for weeks, months, etc? I went through a period of about 3 months of daily headaches a few years back. It wasn't pleasant!

They were hour after hour. Pressure in the head too but obviously nothing like what was mentioned earlier in the thread. It would get to the point where I was feeling nausea. Plus I eat plenty of mature cheese and I found out I was making it worse by having ham & cheese sandwiches which are a known migraine trigger. Cutting that combo out reduced the headaches a fair bit but they still ran their course.

And that was it. Three months of that over Winter and I've never had it again! It's a strange beast because I can point to other periods like this with other symptoms. So, this inconsistency in symptoms is confusing and no wonder it throws HAers off.

atl
21-11-17, 05:28
A strange beast is right. I have had a couple decades of periods with strange symptoms for a few months that then just vanish. Thankfully. Sometimes I wonder if us HAers aren't just super in tune to our body and we notice things that others do not or maybe just ignore. And to us the sensations have this HUGE terrible meaning.