PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack while eating? Help please???

chipotluck
20-11-17, 16:18
Hey, I’m new, and I actually joined so I could post this. I’ve been reading posts on the forum for a while, so it actually feels great to join and be a member.

Anyway, i’ve Been noticing that when I think about eating or when I’m in the middle of eating, I get sudden panic attacks which cause a sudden feeling of nausea and render me unable to eat whatsoever. Yesterday I was eating some macaroni when, yknow, that happened, and today i’m So afraid to eat or be around people eating because I don’t want that to happen again.

This all started due to getting a stomach bug back in August, and since then it’s been a cycle of being able to eat and then not being able to eat. I really don’t know what to do at all, like as I’m typing this my stomach is growling and I’m really hungry, but because of how I had yesterday’s panic attack, I don’t want to eat.

I’d also like to point out that I have an actual psychologist waiting for me to call them and reset my appointment. Last month, my doctor got fed up with me (it seems) and referred me to a psychologist place. I didn’t think I need it, so I told them after they called me back, and they said to call them back whenever I needed them (which is nice), but does anyone think a psychologist would actually help? I actually don’t know what they could do for me/how they could help if they can (I’m only 15, I had this problem before ((suffered panic attack AFTER eating when I was around 10, became anorexic)) but fixed it somehow on my own without bringing medical attention to myself.)

I’ve also started taking SAM-e, because my mom told me that it might help, although I’m kinda ehh about that because SAM-e is usually used for mood enhancement/depression, which isn’t my main problem :/ . I also got Stress B-Complex pills (I suffer from panic attacks separate from eating and anxiety (separate from eating as well), my parents don’t want me to be prescribed any pills used for treating anxiety/panic attacks due to them not wanting to become a “zombie” or become dependent. I’ve gotten to the point where i’d Rather become a “zombie” than suffer from anxiety or panic attacks any longer..) and Ashwarghanda (might’ve spelled that wrong oops) root powder pills. Has anyone tried these out/had good experience with either?

I’m pretty scared because Thanksgiving is in a few days, and I really want to eat because I’m looking forward to it but I don’t want to have a panic attack again.. :(

If anyone sees this and replies with help/tips/answers for my questions about what the psychologist can do for me and about if the pills work/etc, i’ll Be happy to read it or even try it/keep going with it. I really hope to get a fix to this/get over this very soon because since i’m 15 I do like to eat haha.

Thanks,
Chloe

Queenie3
21-11-17, 18:24
I can't help very much unfortunately, my only advice to you is to eat very small and often. Build your appetite back up. I know what it feels like to have nausea when you're suffering anxiety and panic attacks and how disgusting even your favourite food can smell when you're like it. When I was in a similar state, literally all I could do was continuously eat tiny, small amounts throughout the day.

Dime01
29-06-18, 14:52
Although I don't know how to help, I know the feeling, I really do. Over a year ago I had a stomach bug too but nobody around me, family, friends, classmates included were sick with a bug. We had a huge fight in the family so I think the stress induced the sickness. I started the unhealthy habit of washing my hands too often, fearing the toilet because it's dirty (I keep the toilet sparkling but I still have the fear), washing my clothes even if they were barely dirty, etc. Most of the meat started smelling bad, the egg too - so only my Mum can prep meals because I get nauseous from the smell of meat. I even contemplated turning vegan and banning egg (fearing getting salmonella), but my parents managed to convince me to keep eating them.

But here is the thing and nobody believes me. Sometimes I manage to eat everything on my plate sometimes I have to excuse myself and try to calm myself down in order not to throw up (I never threw up but the feeling is there). When I seem to be able to eat everything I think about "Hm, I can do it, this is nice, I can eat. How happy I am that I can eat and nothing is trying to come up my throat." Not a moment later, the feeling starts. Ugh, I hate it so much.

Whenever we're at a friend's house I pray really hard to be able to eat and not make an unnecessary scene because I have an undetermined health condition.

I get the same feeling when travelling by bus or car. I can't eat before going by either of the vehicles or I get the feeling of dizziness, light-headed, sweating, nauseous.

Is this a panic attack? (I have never seen a professional because I can't afford it at the moment.)