PDA

View Full Version : chronic esophagitis, barrett anxiety

exbenzo
21-11-17, 10:45
Hey all, I need your help again. I did endoscopy in April, and was dianosed GERD (my esophagus showed inflammation / esophagitis). Then I did colonoscopy in September, and the result was ulcerative colitis, an autoimmune disease.

Before I had colitis, I took apple cider vinegar for my GERD, but I was sure it was Betaine HCL which helped my GERD. When I found out I had colitis, I stopped HCL as it can aggravate my condition. I began drinking bone broth to treat my colitis.

Now I have persistent sore throat. After reading histamine intolerance, never did I know before that apple cider vinegar and bone broth had high histamine content. Then I went to my ENT. He said it was tonsillitis with ulcers. Also, my pulmonologist gave me inhaled steroid as well as nebulizer. He said I could have my asthma from GERD. My lung x ray also showed calcification and fibrosis, which freaked me out after reading idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) which has poor prognosis, but my doc didn't worry, he said my fibrosis was just small, not every fibrosis is IPF and I could get it checked again in a year.

I went again to my ENT after the sore throat didn't resolve in about a month. This time after checking my throat, he said my tonsils were fine, only my esophagus that was inflammed, and he said it was due to GERD, since the red inflammed area was seen come from below.

Mine gets worse after eating meal. I keep trying my best eating healthy and remembering what my food triggers are. I guess having autoimmune condition makes me more prone to inflammation all over my body.

After both my ENT and pulmonologist pointed GERD, I became anxious again about having Barrett's esophagus this time, although I know it is rare and the chance of it become cancer is also rare, but still, I'm anxious again now. Currently my colitis is under control, rarely flaring.

I'm planning an endoscopy again. This time I also want to check whether I have Crohn's, since I have colitis.

So, does any of you guys deal with chronic esophagitis for very long time or maybe even fear about getting Barrett as well because of this? How long did it take to heal? But again - I think I had indigestion and some sore throat time to time since I was a child.

Thanks for your help.

heyitsmeyou
21-11-17, 12:01
Hmmm. I know of barrets esophagus but the thought of it never really concerned me. I’ve had gerd 10+ years and everything is fine. Just had a recent barium swallow too.

exbenzo
21-11-17, 12:46
Hmmm. I know of barrets esophagus but the thought of it never really concerned me. I’ve had gerd 10+ years and everything is fine. Just had a recent barium swallow too.

It's good to hear! But have you ever experienced chronic throat inflammation from GERD? How did you fix it and how long?

Has your GERD gotten worse in 10 years?

And, about medication, do you still take it? Do you experience any side effects such as commonly told? (bone loss, malabsorption, or even cancer - this is more to my over anxious mind, I know)

Thanks!

Clydesdale Epona
21-11-17, 14:36
I was put on omeprazole for my LPR(silent reflux) about 2 years ago and I've recently stopped taking them this year. I didn't find the medication to be at all problematic and it really helped :)
I did get chronic throat inflammation with it but after taking omeprazole, cutting my meals down to small frequent ones, and finding out my triggers along with chamomile tea and honey to sooth it and doubling up with gaviscon double action I managed to heal mine in a few months.
I'm not overly worried about barretts as mine is better these days and i'm really young so i'm sort of going to worry about it when the time comes. just continuing to manage it really x

Best wishes :hugs:

exbenzo
21-11-17, 18:17
I was put on omeprazole for my LPR(silent reflux) about 2 years ago and I've recently stopped taking them this year. I didn't find the medication to be at all problematic and it really helped :)
I did get chronic throat inflammation with it but after taking omeprazole, cutting my meals down to small frequent ones, and finding out my triggers along with chamomile tea and honey to sooth it and doubling up with gaviscon double action I managed to heal mine in a few months.
I'm not overly worried about barretts as mine is better these days and i'm really young so i'm sort of going to worry about it when the time comes. just continuing to manage it really x

Best wishes :hugs:

Good to hear! Yeah besides finding out my trigger, I also make my eating into smaller, frequent meals. Did you stop your meds because you feel better now, after knowing your triggers and whatnot?

I also experience like a gurgling sound in my stomach before it "moves up" into my esophagus, which also makes that sound shortly after my stomach. What is this, is this kind of IBS, gastritis or just another GERD symptoms? My last ultrasound showed too much gas in my stomach. Thanks and I appreciate your help.