PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else twitch 24/7 -- I'm so scared

MaryAT
21-11-17, 11:47
The base of my thumb has been twitching constantly 24/7 for two weeks. EVERY 5 SECONDS. I show it to people and it freaks them out. Sometimes my pinky finger joins in and sometimes my other hand too.

I'm so scared. I know about BFS, but this is just too constant to be normal. And I can barely function because I'm so scared.

Any advice would be so welcomed.

nivekc251
21-11-17, 19:03
You get hotspots sometimes days weeks months years. It's a part of the syndrome. Try not to let your anxiety amplify them and relax. If there is no weakness let it go. I showed my coworkers my hand hotspot and they were freaking out also lol.

Josh1234
21-11-17, 19:44
>says she knows about BFS

>thinks twitching for 2 weeks straight can't be normal

Doesn't sound like you know anything about BFS lol

tan235
21-11-17, 23:11
I'm twitching too - all over my legs and arms, it scares me also but I've been twitching now for 6 months so figure it's just normal. ;)

MaryAT
22-11-17, 01:27
I know about BFS, Josh, because I had a nervous breakdown about 20 years ago when I had a similar period of nonstop twitching. I went to two neurologists and had all the tests. I ended up hospitalized and heavily medicated because I was in such a panic I couldn't function. It was a nightmare. Since then I've had twitching now and then, but nothing like I had before. Until now. And of course none of the tests they did back then matter now. I feel like the nightmare is starting all over again and I can feel myself spiraling out of control. This board is supposed to be a place for support, not ridicule.

tan235
22-11-17, 01:35
Mary, I'm with you with the twitching, I'm actually off to see the Neurologist now and FREAKING out. I can't stop shaking, I can't stop twitching, I feel like a mess, I can't breathe properly, can't see properly - Im scared I'm going to lose the plot and fry my brain with all this anxiety it's horrible isn't it!
I don't want to be like this anymore... so will have to go on SSRI's even though I don't want too - if you've had all the tests that reassuring ... but I"m like you - I went to the neurologist 3 months ago but going back again because I can't take it anymore!

MaryAT
22-11-17, 01:42
I'm glad that you're seeing a neurologist. Even though it's scary as hell, it will ease your fears. Since it was so long ago that I went I know that any tests they did aren't relevant now. I just don't want to have to go through this again. Ugh.

Josh1234
22-11-17, 01:58
I'm sorry, but if you knew anything about BFS, you'd know that 2 weeks is nothing. I've had twitches last for a year, non stop. No one is ridiculing you, I'm trying to bring some levity in this thread and to point out the absurdity of your statement. You don't have ALS, period.

MaryAT
22-11-17, 02:48
Okay ... point taken. I'm just really struggling. Can't sleep because of the constant twitching and have rubbed my hand raw in an effort to make it stop. I'm so tired of this.

tryingtosurvive1
22-11-17, 06:06
the internet is FULL of benign twitchers. When I was at the height of my neuro fears I read a large portion of the aboutbfs forum and there were a ton of people on there, benignly twitching away.

---------- Post added at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

MaryAT if this happened to you once and the result was severe anxiety, not ALS, I think you are having a recurrence. Especially because ALS is rare. Can you see that no outsider would think you actually have ALS? As I've said before, I'd bet my bank account (and there's some money in it!):)

jojo2316
22-11-17, 10:44
Hi- about six months ago a muscle on the base of my thumb twitches all day everyday for four whole weeks! I totally panicked about ALS, and of course then started to get other twitches too: so eventually went to neurologist who was brilliantly reassuring.... and then the twitches went! Apparently the thumb is a very common place to twitch