PDA

View Full Version : "I'm not worried, so you shouldn't be."

shiggins
22-11-17, 23:49
Another trip through Hypochondria Hills -- a suburb just outside of Hell. Here's what's on the menu this time: an ominous, palpable groin node.

It's fairly big (pea-sized?), firm (kind of flicks under my thumb but still pretty "fixed"?) and rubbery (sign of lymphoma according to Dr. Google). I may or may not have had this thing for a while, but you know how HA works: you find something and fixate on it. In exquisite detail. Either way, I've been out of my mind the past few days. Checking the latest cancer stats (got 'em bookmarked). Sifting through the clinical literature on lymphadenopathy (there's more than you might think). Wondering what it's like to die (probably easier than dealing with hypochondria).

So I go to the Doc today. He feels around and says that I've got "shotty nodes." A fairly common finding. "Come see me if this thing doubles in size," he said. "And it won't. I see it all the time." Before I left his office he looked at me and said: "I'm not worried, so you shouldn't be. Happy Thanksgiving."

Interesting.

I should still be freaking out, right? I should still be slipping my hand down the front of my pants so I can give this death-node another feel. Just one more check. Right? I should be drafting up my will.

"I'm not worried, so you shouldn't be."

I've been through this rodeo so many times. Demanded a colonoscopy because I was convinced I had colon cancer: clean. Demanded a brain scan to check for a tumor: clean. Demanded a supraclavicular ultrasound because of Virchow's node. You guessed it. Clean. You'd think I'd have this figured out by now.

So: "I'm not worried, so you shouldn't be." Maybe there's something to that. Maybe this time I'm going to try listening to the doctor instead of my addiction to misery.

Well. Just wanted to get that off my chest. Happy Thanksgiving, guys.

lyndau63
22-11-17, 23:52
Good for you!:yesyes:

.Poppy.
26-11-17, 01:38
It's wonderful advice :)

Shoddy nodes are pretty common, I think. I've got one behind my ear, one under my chin, and I have a groin one as well. Thought for the longest time that it was cancer and I was dying. My doc has felt them multiple times and given me the all clear. And since I've had them for well over 10 years, I'm inclined to believe him. :D

goldie84
26-11-17, 01:51
Another trip through Hypochondria Hills -- a suburb just outside of Hell. Here's what's on the menu this time: an ominous, palpable groin node.

It's fairly big (pea-sized?), firm (kind of flicks under my thumb but still pretty "fixed"?) and rubbery (sign of lymphoma according to Dr. Google). I may or may not have had this thing for a while, but you know how HA works: you find something and fixate on it. In exquisite detail. Either way, I've been out of my mind the past few days. Checking the latest cancer stats (got 'em bookmarked). Sifting through the clinical literature on lymphadenopathy (there's more than you might think). Wondering what it's like to die (probably easier than dealing with hypochondria).

So I go to the Doc today. He feels around and says that I've got "shotty nodes." A fairly common finding. "Come see me if this thing doubles in size," he said. "And it won't. I see it all the time." Before I left his office he looked at me and said: "I'm not worried, so you shouldn't be. Happy Thanksgiving."

Interesting.

I should still be freaking out, right? I should still be slipping my hand down the front of my pants so I can give this death-node another feel. Just one more check. Right? I should be drafting up my will.

"I'm not worried, so you shouldn't be."

I've been through this rodeo so many times. Demanded a colonoscopy because I was convinced I had colon cancer: clean. Demanded a brain scan to check for a tumor: clean. Demanded a supraclavicular ultrasound because of Virchow's node. You guessed it. Clean. You'd think I'd have this figured out by now.

So: "I'm not worried, so you shouldn't be." Maybe there's something to that. Maybe this time I'm going to try listening to the doctor instead of my addiction to misery.

Well. Just wanted to get that off my chest. Happy Thanksgiving, guys.

AWESOME! As a life long hypo- this has been one of my steps to recovery - BELIEVING the doctor. I have my moments of doubt, but now - I force myself to believe the doctor and push the concerns aside. It has helped drastically. It is one of the tools I use whenever I feel myself wondering..what if. I think back to my last doctors visit. I take comfort in knowing that my doctor HAS been concerned before, and HAS sent me to test for something, on their own instinct and education. And even then, they HAVE reassured me "Don't worry too much.. this is likely nothing" And I believe it, and guess what, THEY WERE RIGHT. I had a hard fixed GIANT lump on the side of my thyroid pop up in my mid twenties (a few years ago). And all signs (to me) pointed to thyroid cancer. The doctor wasted no time getting me in for all the tests. I remember when he told me, "BENIGN!" over the phone, I should've been jumping for joy, and I said "BUT could it come back as cancer???" and he said, "Look, you are more likely to get hit by a bus tomorrow... try and take comfort in the results". It took me a long time to accept that and to trust my current medical team..but I am finally 90% there.. and this has helped just so so much keep my sanity. Find yourself a good team of doctors (for women, GYN as well) and try your hardest to trust them.