PDA

View Full Version : Scared of flesh eating strep bacteria after relative had strep?

scaredpt
24-11-17, 21:58
If someone in your family has strep and you by mistake scratch yourself, what are the chances of their strep getting into your skin and causing a flesh eating reaction?

tmckenzie-orr
24-11-17, 22:11
1% lol ain’t happening don’t worry

scaredpt
24-11-17, 22:14
1%? If it’s that high that’s a real chance. Maybe I should go to emergency room?

Fishmanpa
24-11-17, 23:27
If you do run to the ER, I'd like to be a fly on the wall when you tell them why you're there! If something like that did happen, we'd be reading about it in the Daily Mail and you'd be forever remembered in the medical history books :D

Positive thoughts

scaredpt
25-11-17, 00:23
there have been tons of articles about it :(

MyNameIsTerry
25-11-17, 05:22
1%? If it’s that high that’s a real chance. Maybe I should go to emergency room?

But how many cases happen?

We often won't know who has strep throat and be coughed on them when out & about. Think of people working in offices with naff air con (been there, done that) and everyone gets stuff all the time. Or those who work in schools with kids who are always sick with something. How many of them have had strep throat?

If this was a real issue, wouldn't there be much tighter infection controls in those places? Put it this way, as a former manager in a large corporation in an office over 1000 people...I've never heard it mentioned. If it was such an issue we would have had it covered by HR in our numerous health & safety training sessions over the years because we would be expected to tell our staff to go home or not come in because of this risk.

Annaboodle
25-11-17, 07:47
Has any fear you've ever posted about on here come true?

Someone posted about this elsewhere and it's a good question to ask yourself when you have a new fear with HA.