PDA

View Full Version : Work put me in 5 days stressed

phil06
24-11-17, 23:27
This issue has happened before however it was only for one week and was told it was because I’d get some extra overtime out of it.

But time the manager has put me In 5 days until Xmas 4 hour shifts rather than 6 so an extra day.

In past jobs I couldn’t cope with 5 days full time. Already feel like packing the job in now but may ask for a transfer.

My thinking is she will try it on with 5 days then make me work that all the time despite her saying it was just till Xmas.

I’ve had issues where I had a breakdown and was off work 7 weeks about a year and a half ago so if I go back to the doctor would they be supportive or my psychiatrist as they could explain my issues and work places can’t really discrimate these days can they?

Bigboyuk
25-11-17, 10:38
This issue has happened before however it was only for one week and was told it was because I’d get some extra overtime out of it.

But time the manager has put me In 5 days until Xmas 4 hour shifts rather than 6 so an extra day.

In past jobs I couldn’t cope with 5 days full time. Already feel like packing the job in now but may ask for a transfer.

My thinking is she will try it on with 5 days then make me work that all the time despite her saying it was just till Xmas.

I’ve had issues where I had a breakdown and was off work 7 weeks about a year and a half ago so if I go back to the doctor would they be supportive or my psychiatrist as they could explain my issues and work places can’t really discrimate these days can they? Hi Phil no they can't make you do it,Overtime is NOT compulsory and it not a discrimination issue I was a while back at my work and was asked, we need you to do x y z I said sorry iam not doing it oh we are desperate tough I thought still not doing it :) If it's not overtime related
then yes they can get you to do it as you have to be 'flexible' these days. So in your case No HTH ATB

phil06
25-11-17, 20:26
Hi Phil no they can't make you do it,Overtime is NOT compulsory and it not a discrimination issue I was a while back at my work and was asked, we need you to do x y z I said sorry iam not doing it oh we are desperate tough I thought still not doing it :) If it's not overtime related
then yes they can get you to do it as you have to be 'flexible' these days. So in your case No HTH ATB

It’s not overtime it’s 24 hours over 5 days rather than 4 days.

Obviously it may only be a few weeks but my fear is she will try and make me do this all the time in which case I couldn’t cope with this.

I may have to see the doctor and see if I can get a note if that happens?

phil06
26-11-17, 20:58
Anybody?

venusbluejeans
26-11-17, 21:46
It all depends what it says on your contract for the job. if it says you will work a certain amount of hours/days etc

they can't make you do what isn't written in your contract but if you have signed a contract that says you will do these hours then yes you have to do these contractually

phil06
26-11-17, 21:52
It all depends what it says on your contract for the job. if it says you will work a certain amount of hours/days etc

they can't make you do what isn't written in your contract but if you have signed a contract that says you will do these hours then yes you have to do these contractually

I don’t remember reading the contract I may try and find a copy if I have one.

I agreed to work 3 days when I got the job but they changed it to 4 just before I started.

phil06
28-11-17, 18:05
Anybody?

.Poppy.
28-11-17, 20:53
I don’t remember reading the contract I may try and find a copy if I have one.

I agreed to work 3 days when I got the job but they changed it to 4 just before I started.

Does your job pick up over the holidays? Are there people who are sick, or otherwise going to be gone? Those could be simple explanations as to why they need you to work this five day schedule just this once.

If your contract says 4 days, I would definitely speak with your boss. Let her know you are willing to do the 5 days this time (if you are) but that your contract says only 4 on a regular basis and that's all you can manage to do. As long as she understands that, she shouldn't schedule you differently going forward.

It's very possible, depending on what you do, that she's just in a jam and needs help covering certain times.

phil06
28-11-17, 21:03
Does your job pick up over the holidays? Are there people who are sick, or otherwise going to be gone? Those could be simple explanations as to why they need you to work this five day schedule just this once.

If your contract says 4 days, I would definitely speak with your boss. Let her know you are willing to do the 5 days this time (if you are) but that your contract says only 4 on a regular basis and that's all you can manage to do. As long as she understands that, she shouldn't schedule you differently going forward.

It's very possible, depending on what you do, that she's just in a jam and needs help covering certain times.

I can’t find my contract so would it no Be cheeky to ask to see my contract to confirm?

I know it may be just a one off but I still worry as it’s a few weeks of horrible working 5 days. My fear is she will try and put me in 5 days all the time then I have to figure out what to do as I couldn’t continue in the role :winks:

.Poppy.
30-11-17, 20:15
I can’t find my contract so would it no Be cheeky to ask to see my contract to confirm?

I know it may be just a one off but I still worry as it’s a few weeks of horrible working 5 days. My fear is she will try and put me in 5 days all the time then I have to figure out what to do as I couldn’t continue in the role :winks:

It'll be stressful, but I'd have a talk with your manager. Let her know you're happy to help her out if she needs it but you cannot cope with working 5 days on a regular basis.

phil06
01-12-17, 22:27
I’m feeling stressed at work due to knowing I will work 5 days. It’s also worrying me if it goes on after Xmas I will tell them I won’t be doing it so it’s an awkward siutiaon I always worry about what the future holds.

May ask for transfer to another shop.