PDA

View Full Version : Is it likely for someone with hypochondria to actually have an illness?

sarah4856
25-11-17, 10:00
I'm looking for some reassurance, as I am a 17-year-old girl, who has a history of health anxiety. Over the past two years, I have been worried I have schizophrenia, a brain tumor, and the fear that has really stuck with me over this time and the one I can't seem to shake is the fear that I have multiple sclerosis.

I have not had any testing done for MS, so no MRI's lumbar puncture etc so, therefore, have never really been completely assured I do not have it. I have been to the doctors a couple of times and have been given a basic neurological test but have not been referred to a neurologist. I have, however, been referred to a psychologist which I have not been too as I do not believe my symptoms are psychosomatic in nature.

Some of the symptoms that have been more or less constant for the past month are:
- Tingling in the left side of my left foot which is there from morning till night and worsens with heat
- Constant tingling in left side of left hand much like my left foot
- Small 'buzzing' patch under my left knee
- Have experienced moments where the room looks 'smokey' in the presence of NO smoke, wondering whether this is optic neuritis
- Cannot sit in any position for a prolonged period without limbs going numb
- Did experience numb left big toe for 1-2 weeks
- Legs feel 'numb' and rubbery when running
- And in the past few days, my legs have felt extremely weak

I am worried because having sensory symptoms in multiple locations, or the reoccurrence of similar symptoms in different locations is a hallmark symptom of MS. However I am reluctant to visit the doctor again as I have a past history of health anxiety...

So was just wondering how uncommon, if at all, would it be possible for someone with health anxiety to actually have the illness they are worried about? Thanks

Fishmanpa
25-11-17, 12:58
The fact is, anyone, at any time can become ill. From the moment a cold is caught to the moment a cell divides abnormally and cancer starts. That's just the way it is.

That being said, you're far more likely to be hurt, injured or killed just living life day to day. The vast majority of people get sick many times through their lives and even those with serious illnesses survive. I'm a living testament to that.

So... Is it likely for someone with hypochondria to actually have an illness?

The answer to the question in your thread title is "No". It's not likely for a person with HA to have an illness. Of the US population the number of people suffering from anxiety disorders are around 2 out of ten. The number of those suffering from HA in that group is even smaller. You're already in the minority X2 so actually, the opposite is true. It's less likely that a person with HA will get ill just due to the math.

BUT... here's the thing. You do have an illness. It's just not a physical one. I have a daughter with anxiety and depression. She's not much older than you.
She came to me when she was your age and told me what was going on. As a father, I cannot tell you how it pained me to know she was suffering so badly :weep: I, along with her mother, made sure she got help. She struggled hard but also worked hard on herself. She's doing great now. She has her moments but she understands her illness, takes her meds, continues with therapy and knows how to help herself.

I have real physical issues that can put me six feet under. You have something that's doing that to you above ground. The number of young people on the forum saddens me. You're much too young to be dealing with this. I know your parents don't have a positive view of mental illness but perhaps there's a relative or trusted adult you can speak with and ask for help? Real life help is truly what will help you feel better.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
25-11-17, 19:38
Yes, BUT they have a cold, not throat cancer. They have a migraine, not a brain tumor. They have indigestion, not heart problems. You see the pattern here?

People with HA tend to focus on the worst case diagnosis and most obscure cause.

I have never met anyone on here or another forum who actually had rabies, schizophrenia, ALS, SFI, fill-in-the-blank cancer, etc.

My advice? Do what FMP said to you.