PDA

View Full Version : contraceptive question

helenhoo
26-11-17, 10:41
Sort of a general question with some anxious element's.

I was with my boyfriend, on the pill since I was 19 and off but I eventually read too many horror stories (Around time my anxiety peaked) about clots and such so came off and resorted to condoms.

Without getting icky but now I'm in new relationship i want to get back on the pill but worry if there will be any implicarions or will my body recongise them? I've been off them for a year, on them for 6 years prior with month here and there out.

ana
26-11-17, 10:45
From what I've heard, messing with your hormones creates a bunch of issues with your reproductive system. A close friend of mine has had severe complications due to the pill, in addition to infertility.
Saying that, I am no doctor, but I'd personally always stick with condoms. There is a variety of them available, and as a woman, you don't even notice them there. Plus, they protect you from STIs.

Clydesdale Epona
26-11-17, 11:00
Hiya Helen :)

It's completely up to you what you do but I remember when I was in the same situation.

my GP gave me some for my extremely painful period pains and after a while the pain was so bad I gave in and took them. I haven't had any complications and blood clots are so so so rare and are usually only accompanied by other health issues but they check if you have those first before putting you on them and if you've had them before you won't be at risk. Taking them again after being off them for a while won't make a difference on how they work or how your body will react and if the effectives are negative then you can simply go off them. are you considered anything else like the implant?
condoms alone aren't the greatest at protecting against unwanted pregnancy so its good to have something alongside it.
there is little evidence that proofs the pill affects fertility, I myself and my older sister has had no problems and as soon as she came off it she got pregnant.
if there's any other advice you need just let me know x

Best wishes :hugs:

helenhoo
26-11-17, 16:20
Tahnk you for your replies. I'll have a chat with my GP. I had never had any issues personally just read stories about young girls and clots which I know are rare. A nurae told me herself she'd been on my one for 10 years and was fine.

ana
26-11-17, 18:10
I guess everyone is different and everyone's body reacts to medication differently. You should have a chat with your GP, and decide what's best for you. :)