PDA

View Full Version : Convinced it’s liver cancer (or something equally serious)

fehercsongor
26-11-17, 14:44
I’m 24/M, and I’ve been a health anxiety sufferer for my whole life.
I felt more or less alright for more than two years, but it started over about a month ago.
It started with a small skin lesion next to my ear, which I thought to be nonmelanoma skin cancer (it’s a scar that doesn’t heal). I went to the dermatologist, and felt extremely anxious about it. I was told that it’s just a scar and not to worry about it. However, I developed other, much more serious symptoms: A small pain in my upper right back that I only feel when I breath in very deeply. For a few days, I thought it was okay and it it would go away on its own. But it didn’t, and it started freaking me out. I knew this could be caused by an enlarged liver, so I tried to check my abdomen for an enlarged liver. It felt okay at first, but I kept pressing around that area, and I found a huge lump that’s always there in the upper right corner, just where the liver is. It’s always there, and I’m 100% convinced it’s my liver. I also developed some vague pains in that area at my ribs, which is extremely worrying.
There is a very rare kind of liver cancer called fibrolamellar, which mostly targets people of my age. It has no specific symptoms, only vague pains and an enlarged liver. I just know this time it’s what I have. My life has been ruined, and I’m unable to function.
I decided to go to the doctor, to get it diagnosed. I just know I will be admitted to the hospital and die within a few months. I try to spend time with my family, all I can think of is dying soon. I’m just crying thinking about it.
I feel so hopeless, and I just wanted to write this down.

tmckenzie-orr
26-11-17, 17:38
Chill the hell out wow, we have all been there, we have all believed we have had throat cancer skin cancer bowel cancer testicular cancer and list is endless as a worrier of health anxiety we think everything is what google has told us, but google is a bloody lier and it likes to make people think differently so stop breath and go doctors for CBT treatment nothing more nothing less

fehercsongor
30-11-17, 21:50
Thanks, I try to stay calm. I actually went to the doctor this Monday, and she checked my liver by palpation, but she said it wasn't enlarged. This calmed me down for a day, but it returned very quickly. I can still feel my liver, so I'll have an ultrasound next Tuesday. Really hope it turns out to be nothing, but I'm so worried.

Fishmanpa
30-11-17, 22:07
The "Told ya so gang" will be standing by ;)

Positive thoughts

Siffi
01-12-17, 00:38
Good news! Fingers crossed for your ultrasound. Just try and take it easy, I know it's hard but the doctor gave you good news

fehercsongor
05-12-17, 19:31
So, I had the ultrasound today, and thankfully it came back fine! I’m so relieved now. It was hard for me to believe the doctor when she said everything looked fine. I specifically asked her to check my liver too, and she said it’s 9cm long, and it’s normal under 15cm. This is just another proof that anxiety can totally make physical symptoms appear, and it’s an extremely bad idea to try checking our own organs. I could 100% palpate my own liver, which turned out to be a hoax. I will definitely look for professional help, because this is not the first time health anxiety took away weeks of my life. Thank you for the support everyone!

Fishmanpa
05-12-17, 19:43
The "Told ya so gang" will be standing by ;)

Here's your "Told ya so!" Compliments of your friendly neighborhood "Told ya so gang" :D

Positive thoughts

Bigboyuk
08-01-18, 14:54
And to add now you have been given the all clear on any physical symptoms isn't it time to get help for your HA? Get some help ATB

Careful1
08-01-18, 15:31
Wish my liver was 9cm... Mine is 20cm, its enlarged but they dont know why... Glad you got the all clear from your ultrasound... Now its time to work on your anxiety before it steals away all your happiness...