PDA

View Full Version : My Story - My Ven Journey

Jem21
28-11-17, 17:49
Hey all, my name is Jemma and i've just been prescribed Venlafaxine yesterday, so i thought i would post here a little of my story and reasons for taking these and keep a bit of a diary on how things are going on them.

I'm 42 and i've had anxiety on and off for a lot of years which has always been controlled with Citalopram. I relapsed while on the cit and i couldnt handle the increase in dose. I then tried Sertraline but i dint really find that too effective and i have been sat on half the minimum dose of this for quite a while. After another crash i found myself back at the doctors. They advised that i stop taking the sert and start the ven tomorrow.

At the moment my anxiety is 24/7, i'm struggling to eat and sleep is here and there with very early wakening in the mornings. To be really honest i'm all over the place. I'm off work this week and starting the ven 37.5 tomorrow morning and i'm even more scared about that with increased anxiety and other side effects i may get. Doc has given me 2mg diazepam to use as required although i've managed not to touch them yet. I keep changing my mind on why i have the anxiety and i cant seem to settle on anything. Also feeling a lot of agitation which is horrible. I'm praying the ven works for me as this is torture.

Anyone else just starting wants to jump in here with me then please feel free, also if anyone has any positive stories then please share, no horror stories though please.

Well that's it for today, i'll update after i've taken my first one tomorrow.

Jem21
29-11-17, 09:59
Morning campers, well today is the day!!
Slept well last night from 10 till 6:30 this morning and woke with high anxiety, tried to go back to sleep and I dosed till 8am. Had a really vivid dream which I imagine has come from stopping the sert! Took my first ven at 8:20 with a cup of tea and the anxiety seems to have settled at the moment! I just feel very blah, don't really know what to do with myself as I feel exhausted and very flat. I know the anxiety is there under the surface waiting to come back. Feel very out of breath and I think I could just lay in bed all day! Is this what depression is as I've been feeling like that for a while which is what triggers the anxiety I think! Feel a little out of things as well. I know none of this can be the ven yet as I only took it an hour and a half ago!
Partner is off with me today and need to pop to bank to sign some forms so I'll update more tonight.

Jem21
30-11-17, 07:52
Good morning, well today is day 2 and i will be taking my second ven shortly.
Anxiety was about a 6 all day yesterday but i was very agitated all day. I spent a lot of the day pacing and couldn't keep still. I went over to my nans for an hour but found it hard to settle, then i came back and went to the bank. Still have no appetite and am forcing myself to try and eat little and often. I took the dog for a walk about 6:30 and the agitation cleared after that, just felt very strange for the rest of the evening.

Up to now i'd say i was feeling: Anxiety, agitation, upset stomach, heavy eyes, very heavy body, general feeling of unwell and unsettled mind.

Jem21
01-12-17, 17:17
Well yesterday turned out to be a horrific day, i was agitated beyond belief and literally couldn't keep still, anxiety was quite high too. There was also some tears. I wound up taking a diazepam about 6pm.
My doctor has prescribed me 28 which is 3 times per day for about 9 days but i am only taking them when i feel i really need to and i have only taken 1 up to now.
So today is day 3, the anxiety has been here all day and i don't really know what to do with myself. Did manage to have a shower this morning and also have been out with my partner to the supermarket and to collect some parcels but i found myself wanting to rush everywhere to get home. Still having a lot of scary thoughts such as what if the ven doesn't work? Also been googling a lot trying to decide if i have depression, i never seem to come up with any answers though. I've been reading a lot of threads on here and generally just trying to fill my time until bed time, which isn't easy when every minute feels like an hour. Still have no appetite but my sleeping seems ok.

I suppose i can't expect anything yet as today is only day three and i still have a long way to go.

Jem21
03-12-17, 09:47
Well it seems like I am on my own with this journey as no one else starting ven is about! Today is the morning of day 5. Yesterday was a strange one, I got up, had the anxiety but got dressed and went to my parents for an hour or so, I then came home and did some washing and pottered about. Felt very jittery but managed ok. I then dropped my son and his friend at the skate park and came home. I then started feeling very wound up as about 2pm I became really tired and was struggling to keep my eyes open. I went back to my parents house and fell asleep from 3 till 6pm. I came home after that and felt very weird for the rest of the evening. My body just feels like lead and I feel I am dragging myself around. Also having quite a bit of nausea. Took quite a while to fall asleep last night and woke feeling dreadful this morning. I was meant to be going to a Christmas market with my mum but I cancelled.
I keep trying to remind myself that I'm only at day 5 but I'm so scared these won't work and I really want myself back! I feel like I am telling myself all the positives but it just doesn't work. Bit worried about tomorrow as everyone is back at work so I will be on my own.
Any reassurance right now would be much appreciated.

clio51
03-12-17, 20:28
Hi

Take the Diazepam, honestly it will help loads:)
There only 2mg( I’m on them) which is tiny but will help you feel less agitated and will help you feel more relaxed so your stomachs not so churned up so you can eat something.

I take 150mg and 2mg of diazepam as needed. Like you I was scared to death of taking ANY meds but in order to get some rest and start eating again I had no choice.
It will get worse before it get better, as it needs to settle in your system.
Don’t let the Gp move you, till your a bit more settled on the 37.5 first. The have a tendency to push up ASAP to 150mg

Well done for feeling so bad, but getting out and about. Don’t be hard on yourself, your doing very well. One day at a time, as I’m sure your already know.

Ethansmom
04-12-17, 00:57
I'm on day 3 of desvenlafaxine- otherwise, known as prostiq. Having the same symptoms of you. I feel more anxious . I take klonopin, but may switch to xanax if the anxiety is really bad. Keep me posted

Jem21
04-12-17, 07:53
Thanks for the message Clio it means a lot. I'm not due back at the doctors until I have been on these for two weeks so I'll see how I feel and what she says when I go. I know what you mean about the diazepam and my family feel the same as you but I prefer to take them when I really need them rather than the 3 times per day. I'm also on propanalol and I do take that 3 times a day!

Ethansmom also nice to hear from you, I found the extra anxiety hit around day 3-4, do you have anything to help if it does? You may be totally fine though. I think our tablets are similar though so it will be nice to help each other through.

Yesterday was a strange one, woke with anxiety but it settled to a jittery on edge feeling, I had that really horrible feeling in my tummy all day which made me feel something was wrong. I got a shower and pottered around in the morning but I was waiting for the tiredness to hit, it didn't which was good. Took the dog for a long walk early afternoon. I am very conscious of every feeling though and totally obsessed with what's happening in my body. Started getting a bit wound up early evening and had a bit of health anxiety which I talked myself out of but had to take a diazepam. Went to bed around 10 and slept through till half 6 this morning.
Today is day 6 and everyone is at work today so I may have a drive over to see my nan. Still worried these won't work but I'm trying to keep talking to my family and eat and sleep well to give myself the best chance.

Jem21
05-12-17, 09:13
Well day 6 started a bit shakey but I got up and went to my parents to see my dad for a while, I then went home, had a tidy round and put some more Xmas decs up and took the dog for a walk, I had the anxiety all the time! About 2:30 I started getting tired and it went down hill from there! I got extremely wound up and agitated and wound up taking a diazepam about half 4. Last night was awful. I felt like I could burst the TV was getting on my nerves, my vision went funny and it took me about 2 hours to get to sleep. I did sleep through till 6 this morning but I've woken up feeling terrible. This is the worst I've felt up to now. Tears last night and this morning. I feel very sick and my body feels like it has nothing on it. I keep telling myself the doctor said it would get worse before it got better and this is sure worse! I'm wondering if it takes a while before the side effects hit. I felt bad before I started the ven but after 6 days on them I feel even worse! When is this going to end? I'm trying to stay strong but it's difficult at the minute!
Today is day 7 and I'm about to go for a ride out in the car with my dad. Fingers crossed today is a better day.

Jem21
06-12-17, 09:03
Good morning it's day 8 today! So I've managed a full week on the 37.5m of ven.
Yesterday saw some new side effects hit, I spent most of the morning in a haze. I went out for a drive with my dad while he did some work and I sat in the car. We then called into my nan's on the way home where I managed some toast. Just felt really spaced out and very non talkative. When we got back I walked to the shop and came back and had a bacon sarnie then came home about 3:30. The evening was relatively calm but I felt extremely flat. The thoughts are constant though and there is about 4 or 5 things all health related that I constantly think about. I also keep trying to think of the right answers for these things. They are all to do with a physical ache and then I run through a load of possibilities of what they could be and my mind won't settle on one so I spend the full day going round and round and round. It's very frustrating.
I am back at the doctors on Monday for a ven review so I will ask her about them then I think. Last night was the calmest I've been up to now, I managed to watch some tv and even ate a full burger for tea. I've had this mornings tablet with some shreddies and my nan is coming over today for a few hours so I'm not on my own all day! My mum is off tomorrow and Friday which is good too.
Ok that's me for today, really wish there was more people on here just starting or doing well who could offer encouragement but I'll keep going anyway!

clio51
06-12-17, 16:44
Hi Jem
Your doing really well:) you seem to have a lot of support(bit jealous)
Your motivated and sound a strong person, which is great.
I was a wreck to scared sometimes to even get of the sofa because of the physical anxiety sensation. Day 6/8 and eating sounds good to me.
I’d be that wired I couldn’t sleep for days in a row, and ended up exhausted and had to resort to zopiclone(which I hated, fear of meds and how I’d feel) but had to do something to function.

Your managing great ��

The thought thing, I think is quite normal. We are always questioning ourselves, regardless of what it is. Even like what shall I do today, this is a biggie for me as I don’t work.

Keep posting, I’m sure people are reading, if it does you good to write it down continue
You could be helping somebody who maybe can’t write theirs down

Jem21
07-12-17, 07:41
Hi Clio thanks for the encouragement X I don't feel strong at all but I know I have to get through this as I want my life back.

Well yesterday was day 8 and I think it was one of the worst so far, the first 6 days were ok then day 7 was where it started changing for the worst, is this normal? I got up and my nan came over for a couple of hours, we chatted and took the dog for a walk but I really just wanted her to leave. She left around 1pm and the day went rapidly down hill from there. I felt so low. I was meant to go and get a parcel and I just couldn't go. I then got sleepy around 3 but my anxiety just wouldn't let me lay down. My partner got home at 6 and I just started sobbing. Took a diazepam and tried to watch some tv but I went to bed at 9 as I just couldn't stand it and I wanted to be asleep just to get away from it for a while. I'm assuming this is the worse before better the doc was talking about? I have an appointment with the chiropractor at 8:30, I woke at half 6 and got a shower and I'm going to force some breakfast down. I'm eating 3 meals a day but not by choice I'd happily not eat but my family are making me and I know I should. I'm struggling to see a way out at the moment. I've read that if sleep, energy or appetite improve in the first two weeks that this is a good indication the tablets will work. My sleep was fine before I started them and I'm still sleeping through the night but my energy and appetite are still very low. This worries me as I'm on day 9 now and no change. My mum is off for the rest of the week so I'm going there after chiropractors. I also need to make an appointment to see my doc on Monday as that's when she wanted to see me.

Here goes day 9 - please be better!

Jem21
08-12-17, 09:21
Morning to whoever may be reading this. It's day 10 today!
Yesterday was a better day than the previous ones. I got up had a shower and went to the chiropractors. Wow it hurt!! Can't remember all the details but I have a very hollow back and my muscles are extremely tight. He pulled me all over the place and I have to go back Monday! I then went in town with my mum for a while. Got home and took the dog on a long walk then came back and walked to doctors to pick up my sick note! Then went to pets at home with my mum to get some things for their new puppy. Came home around half 4 and felt my anxiety building a little. Had underlying anxiety all day and felt I was dragging myself around at times and the thoughts were still there all day! Took my son to his boxing training and then picked him up at half 7 and then watched some to till 10. Took a while to get to sleep as I ached all over. Not having intense panics but the anxiety is still there all day Under the surface and it peaks on and off due to my thoughts or physical feelings.
Mum is off today so I'm going to go get dressed and head there now and hope today is better.

Till tomorrow....

Jem21
09-12-17, 09:02
Well day 11 and not too much to report!
Yesterday was a little like the day before. Still have low level anxiety all day but I am coping with it better than I was at the beginning. Having tired spells here and there and still worrying everything in my head constantly. Did manage to watch some tv last night, the anxiety wasn't to bad but my mind was wandering a lot. I think the doc may put me up to 75m on Monday as I've heard that's the lowest therapeutic dose? But we will see, I'll go with whatever she says! My back has been hurting a lot and I think I'm having some sinus issues at the moment which is all very annoying! Did manage a long walk again yesterday. No appetite still but I am making myself eat 3 meals a day. Yesterday was shreddies, a ham sandwich and some chicken for tea! It's the weekend and partner is off today and we need to get a few Christmas presents. Let's hope today is a little better still.

Jem21
10-12-17, 17:34
Day 12... It's been horrendous!!! I've spent most of today in tears. Woke very spacey and had a headache and felt tired. I've felt so agitated and wound up today. Yesterday wasn't that great either to be honest and had tears last night at bedtime. Took a diazepam so I could get some sleep. I was hoping for some improvement by now. I've come to stay at my parents tonight as I think this is my safe place. My mum made me take a diazepam and she wasn't impressed as the doctor had given me 28 when I first started these as I've taken 5. I worry so much about addiction to them though. She also made me message the cbt guy as she said I need to help myself. Just taken the dog for a long walk so that's twice today (I bet he's loving this.) my mind just keeps going over and over it all and I get so wound up.
I'm at the doctors tomorrow afternoon as she wanted to see me at about 2 weeks. Not sure what she will do but I imagine it will be an increase to 75m. Don't know how I'll feel about this as I've struggled on the 37.5 but on the other hand I'm not any better yet so I'll go with whatever she says. I'm really hoping I turn a corner soon as this isn't fun at all.

clio51
10-12-17, 20:17
Hi jem
Or I feel for you so much:hugs:
There’s nothing worse than not being able to make a decision and for it to be going round in your head .

It is really very early days yet for a new med to settle and you to adjust to it. I’d say more like 4/6 weeks.
It’s great you can go back home to mum, just the thought/feeling of safeness and comforting is really nice.

Why wasn’t your mum impressed with the Gp given you 28, mine does the same.
I think they like you to take them 3 times a day, to keep your anxiety stable lower so you are able to cope better with the start up of new med.

As I said I am exactly the same as you about meds, they freak me out. I really don’t like taking them at all.
The place I was in last time was horrendous(similar to you) and I needed restbite from the high anxiety state I was in.
So in the end I took the Diazepam 3x2mg a day, for few days on the run. This really helped, I could then manage to eat and get at least a few hours sleep.
I didn’t get addicted (honestly) I’m to bloody scared.
Even now at the moment, my anxiety is up most morning and can feel depression feeling popping up, ie no motivation, withdrawal, tears. So I’ve gone on 2mg every morning just to get me settled and able to go out and feel a bit better in myself. This lifts me out of the depression and high anxiety state.

Honestly 2mg 3 times a day is tiny, so people are on 15mg.
Why don’t you try and do this, instead of waiting till it gets to the point of distress.
Xx

Jem21
11-12-17, 07:42
Hi Clio thank you so much for your support it really means a lot!
I meant my mum wasn't impressed with me not taking them not about the doctor giving me them. She thinks I should be taking them and you are probably both right that I should take them rather than wait till the desperation stage. I had an OK evening after I took 1. Stayed up till 10:40 watching tv with my parents and I wasn't to bad I also slept through till 7am this morning. Got my cbt at 11 and everyone is at work so I'm going to get a shower and wash my hair, it takes ages to dry my hair and straighten it so that should take a bit of time! I'm going to ask the doctor about going back to work tomorrow but I might ask for shorter hours for this week say 9-2, work are ok with this and I wake really early. I think it will give me something to fill my time as all I do at the minute is wander the house and take the dog out! I'll update tonight after my cbt and doctors appointment.
Once again thanks Clio and I hope your morning anxiety settles soon.

Jem21
11-12-17, 15:18
Quick update, just got back from the doctors and she has increased my dose to 75m she said that no one really gets results on 37.5 but had to start me lower because of my anxiety. She thinks I will need to go to 150m but wants to see me in 3 weeks to assess. Bit concerned about the increase but I know I need to do it. I also asked to go back to work tomorrow and she has agreed but only on reduced hours for 2 weeks. I'm starting them tomorrow and I have promised to use the diazepam as needed rather than desperate measures only. Wish me luck.

clio51
11-12-17, 16:28
Good luck tomorrow at work:)
And very well done for going back, so positive.

I’d take diazepam before you go out to work, I think they take about 20 mins or so to kick in and last about 5 hrs but obviously stay in your system longer if I’m not right I’m sure somebody will put me right.

How did the cbt go, was that your first one ?

Jem21
11-12-17, 17:33
Yes it was the first one and it was ok, he asked questions and I talked and talked lol. He said I take no time for myself as I work and I have an hours drive to work then home again and I'm also doing everything at home and I've stopped doing all the fun things in my life and I get no help at home from the boys (partner and 2 lads) he said I don't eat properly and exercise enough and I get so run down and that's when the anxiety sets in as I don't feel well so we need to work on both. Bit scary knowing things need to change but he seemed to know his stuff. I'm back there next week.
Took a diazepam about 4, it's like I have anxiety all day but it all peaks and I get worse about 3-4pm when it really peaks and I feel my face getting hot! I take them at 9am so I wonder if by 3pm they are at high concentration or something? What do you think?

clio51
11-12-17, 18:31
Sounds good idea :)
Bloody hell an hour in traffic before you start wow
What time do you leave and get home?
I think as mums we tend to do most things as we do them quicker, and it’s easy then giving instructions.

Don’t know how old the boys are, but could they take the dog out, say after school.?
Does partner get home before you, could he start the tea( if planned night before)

Re diazepam
I’m no expert! But if your first is 9am it will be at its peak about 1.5 hrs later your anxiety is there but perhaps at a lower level, it may be that it’s wearing off by then 3-4pm hence anxiety getting higher? As it only last about 4-6 hour but stays in your system longer.
So 3-4pm sounds like it’s effects have worn off.

I’m probably more the same age as your mum, I also used to do everything for son and partner(probably do still on good days) now both finished work
but Partner now does
Goes shopping
Does kitchen after tea
Washing machine, and put to dry
Bins
Washing 2 cars
Garden, mowing and hedges
And tea 2/3 times week

Son, out at work all day
But know when I’m not good and will ask if I’m ok or need anything (not much, but he’s getter better)

Again, hope all goes well at work tomoz xx

Ethansmom
11-12-17, 19:12
Hi,
I just wanted to reply that you are not alone. I am taking Desvenlafaxine (pristiq) and am feeling a bit more anxious at time. I just upped my dose and am having stomach pains, and muscle pain in my back. I'm not sure if this is normal or not? It makes me wonder if something else is going on inside. I see my doctor on Wednesday and will report back. FYI- I take Klonopin daily to help my anxiety settle until the meds kick in.

Jem21
11-12-17, 21:36
Thanks Clio, the boys are 13 and 19 so can defo do a little more around the house as can the other half... I see some changes coming lol.
I meant the ven not the diazepam that seems to peak around 4. I'll see how it goes on the increase.

Hi Ethansmum my doctor did say that stomach ache is a side effect so it might settle down as your increase kicks in... The backache could be tension maybe but mention to the doctor and see what he says. Let me know how you get on!

Diazepam has calmed me down and I watched some tv tonight. I'm going to hit the sack now as back to work tomorrow. Hope I do ok.

Speak soon all.

Jem21
12-12-17, 10:35
Well today is the first day of the 75m dose so I took 2 tablets this morning. Also came back to work today. Took nearly 2 hours to get here though due to traffic which was a bit stressful. Legs are a bit shakey and I feel a bit on edge like it's all waiting to start up but it doesn't I just get wound up and agitated. I have my diazepam in my bag if I need them. Finding it hard to concentrate but I'm taking it slowly. Everything I discussed with the cbt guy is going round in my head but I know I'm not in the right place yet to confront a lot of these issues which is frustrating. I just want to feel ok. It's so annoying!

Jem21
12-12-17, 17:29
Well I managed my first day back at work today did 9-3. Was late though as I got stuck in traffic for an hour so took me nearly 2 hours to get there. Had anxiety all day and found it hard to concentrate, I then got a bad case of the yawns about 2:30 which lasted till about 4. This time of day is usually when I am the most wound up and agitated although today for the first time I am having a calm period. Today has been exactly 2 weeks on the ven with 1 day on the 75m dose. I am hoping this is a sign they are doing something. Went out to lunch with my work mates and had a sandwich and chips, only managed half of it but better than nothing. My dad is now doing chilli for tea. Still at my parents and think I'm going to stay here for a while longer. My partner is at home with the boys so it's a nice break. I'm expecting side effects to hit in a few days again but hopefully they won't be as bad.

Jem21
13-12-17, 08:50
Morning 2 of the increased dose on the ven wagon. Same bad morning as usual. Anxiety, shakey, very foggy head. Watched some tv last night although only half took it all in. Went to bed about 10 and slept through till 6:30. Woke very anxious but nothing out of the ordinary there. Didn't need to take a diazepam yesterday but we will see what happens when the side effects kick in from increased dose. Just got to work so hoping this will keep me a bit distracted to pass the time. It's horrible waiting and hoping for meds to work! Oh well till later ven buddies.

Ethansmom
13-12-17, 21:33
I do find distraction helps. You are right, JEM 21 my doctor said it could be just gas or withdrawl from the Lexepro. I went from an SSRI to an SNRI, so my doctor said it's probably my body adjusting. Let's all keep each other posted.

clio51
15-12-17, 18:34
Hi jem
Hope your ok, and things have settled a bit you you
You still managing work still? You still resting at your mums
X

Jem21
16-12-17, 08:20
Hi ladies,
Ethansmum I also went from an ssri to an snri so you're doc will be right and takes a bit of adjusting.

Clio, yes I'm still at my mums and I have been back at work for 4 days now!

Today is day 5 on the increased dose to 75mg, not too much to report really, been back at work this week on reduced hours and it's been difficult but also kept me busy. Side effects haven't been too bad up to now on the increase. Few yawning spells, lot of nausea and a little tired. Had a few calm periods on an evening and still sleeping ok. It's been taking me about an hour to get to sleep and I tossed and turned last night but stayed asleep till half 7 this morning. A bit of agitation and frustration but I keep reminding I'm only day 5 into an increase. Also feel a bit flat so I'm hoping my mood picks up as time goes on.

Well that's it for now. I hope you both are doing well?

Oh appetite has also picked back up a bit so I'm eating again.

Jem21
19-12-17, 13:18
Day 8 today on increased dose of 75mg...
Underlying anxiety most of the day which seems to clear evening time, some nausea still and periods of yawning, also get a tired spell in the afternoon which lasts about an hour. Not much lift in mood yet or interest. Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon. Been a bit flat at times and last night I couldn't be bothered to talk to anyone just wanted to stare at the tv. Keep reminding myself I've only done a week on the theraputic dose but it's like I'm waiting for something to happen. Sleeping and eating fine. I know I can expect anything before 2-3 weeks but it's frustrating.
Oh well onwards and upwards hopefully.

Hope you are all doing well!

Domo-kun
19-12-17, 18:29
Hi all
Jem21, Interesting to read your experience as it closely matches my own; The increased anxiety, feeling jittery, and nausea were pretty bad for me at the start. I also had some depersonalisation, where I wasn't quite sure what I saw matched where I was or what I was doing. That was really odd, especially when in a meeting at work!
I started about 6 months back and I'm currently on 187.5mg of ven and going up to 225mg tomorrow.
For me, I was told to start on 75mg/day, but I quickly decided to drop down to 37.5mg when the side effects were too overwhelming. I spent a couple of weeks on 37.5mg before the side effects pretty much disappeared and then went up to 75mg. The step up wasn't pleasant, but mental side effects reduced within a week.
Since then, I've been increasing by 37.5 every four weeks or so and the mental side effects are pretty much gone.
For me, taking in the evening means highest concentration is whilst I'm sleeping, and much easier to cope during the day. Also, I find taking in the morning/afternoon means I feel a lot more nauseous when I try to eat. The nausea tends to be bad for a week after the increase, and then drops off.
Only major side effect for me right now is sleep quality. I might get 7 hours sleep, but it feels like I've had about 3. Trying to move dose to morning now and take Promethazine (Sominex here in UK) in the evening, to see if that helps.
Feeling 'some' improvement but expecting a lot more.
You're doing well - it really does get easier!

Jem21
19-12-17, 19:14
Hi Domo thanks for the message, I'm finding that I still have anxiety during the day but I find it goes in the evening but I feel flat like I don't really want to talk or interact with anyone. I keep reminding myself I'm only a week into the 75mg dose. Due back to see my doc in another 2 weeks so I'll reassess then although she did say she thinks I'll need 150mg. You sound like you are doing well and not rushing things which is always good. Are you finding that they are helping?

Domo-kun
20-12-17, 13:20
Not seeing a massive difference so far, but I'm really not sure what to expect. Overall - I guess I've had fewer bouts of anxiety and depression, so I'm hoping an increase in dose, and giving it time for those doses to work, will do the trick.
I've previously been on fluoxetine and mirtazipine. Both helped somewhat with anxiety, and I even had the rare day where I felt motivated (maybe that's what I'm striving for/expecting?), so I'm still hopeful.
In my experience, you're probably at the hardest part of the journey right now - the bit where your brain is trying to adjust to whatever levers the ven is pulling so it can even out. For me, that initial shock takes 2-3 weeks to get over, then any increases are much less of a shock to the system.
75mg is the recommended starting dose, so unless you feel better, I'm sure they'll want to increase. If you're worried, ask if the doc minds giving you some 75mg and some 37.5mg so you can try a 75+37.5/day for a week or two before going up to 150mg? My doc said I should do 37.5mg increase each time, but I've seen other people on here say they've at least doubled.

Jem21
20-12-17, 23:03
Hi Domo, well I'm pleased to be able to say I've felt totally normal tonight, I've been looking forward to Christmas, discussing going away next year on a few trips and no anxiety at all. Tonight has been the best I've felt in a long time!, I've been to my parents and help them decorate the tree and took the dog on a massive walk and I'm even still up after half 9 which hasn't happened for quite awhile. Today is day 9 on the 75mg dose so I'm really hoping this continues although I'm sure it won't be totally plain sailing as I've read that people can have blips along the way. Had a headache for the last 2 days and some nausea but still 2 weeks before I see the doc again so I hope I'm turning a corner. My doc is pretty clued up and won't let me increase more than the 37.5 at a time, she even started me that low for two weeks and said that dose wouldn't work but she didn't want me to go up to quickly. I'm happy on the 75mg for now and I'll see what the next couple of weeks bring. I really hope your new dose starts to help and you feel good soon.

123abc
20-12-17, 23:59
Hi Jem, good to hear that you're feeling ok! I'm set to start Ven after Christmas. Hoping it will work well for me.

Domo-kun
21-12-17, 10:02
Great to hear you're feeling better. Even if it doesn't last (sorry to sound negative), just remember you need time to even out and you can definitely expect ups and downs during that period.
Headaches were an issue for me too, but mainly at the beginning and nothing ibuprofen didn't sort out.
You can probably get anti-nausea medication from the doctor if needed. I got something called buccastem (prochlorperazine) and only needed to take 2-3 a month when the nausea got bad. Again, it's mainly when you increase dose and lasts about 2 weeks. For me, it was only really when I ate, and maybe a couple of 5 minute bouts every other day.
123abc, don't do what I did and read all the negative threads thinking that's how you'll be! The first 1-3 weeks (like most of these medications) can be overwhelming, but from what I've read and heard, this is one of the better for getting results.

Jem21
22-12-17, 07:21
Hi Domo and 123 well it didn't last, I had a great Wednesday night and also yesterday morning but I felt my mood dipping around lunchtime and then I got wound up and anxious. Yesterday evening wasn't that great either and I'm not sure how today will be. Keep reminding myself it's early days (day 11) and that the good evening and morning are what's coming when they level out properly. It's so frustrating though! I'm thinking the same things but it feels different when you're mood is better.
Domo how are you doing? 123 I've read good things about ven so best of luck when you start.

Off to work now so I'll update soon.

Domo-kun
23-12-17, 11:43
No anxiety, but very low mood today. It's not that unexpected though as I only increased dose to 225mg a few days ago, so it's levelling out time.
As you alluded to, it's difficult to see passed a low mood as your brain stops you from thinking about better times and being rational about why you feel like you do. The worst bit is I've not felt this low since getting past 75mg.
I read somewhere that the way these drugs (and many other similar) work is to flood your brain with seretonin to the point it over-reacts and shuts off the seretonin intake valve completely, leaving you feeling low. Then, you adjust, the valve opens again, lets some/lots of seretonin through and you feel better. Then rinse and repeat until it stabilises - and that's your levelling out period. Assuming that's true, it makes sense that you often need to feel worse before you feel better, and I try to convince myself that's why I feel rubbish after the last increase.

Domo-kun
25-12-17, 22:50
Feeling a bit better since last post. Time with family has certainly been challenging, but a much calmer experience than previous years. Maybe we're all just getting to old to worry about the insignificant stuff.
I guess 225mg/day without side effects is a good thing, but still worried I won't see anything like the improvement others report, and then have to start all over with a new drug.
Hope everyone's doing well.

Domo-kun
03-01-18, 19:46
I went up to 300mg/day yesterday. Feeling a little jittery and a couple of moments of slight nausea, but otherwise all good.
Feeling like I have a bit more energy and the anxiety is still a bit better than before I started.
Now it's fingers crossed this will do the trick as it seems 375mg/day is the max.

sammie13s
31-07-18, 13:52
Bumping this post back up. As iv started venlafaxine today along with my mirtazapine. Suffering with intense derealization. Praying this will work. Started on 37.5mg twice per day but considering just taking the 37.5 for a couple of weeks first. Hence scared if feeling worse x

Ethansmom
31-07-18, 17:49
@JEM 21- your post is very encouraging. Right now i'm at 25 MG of venlafaxine IR. I take half a pill twice a day. I'm supposed to double to dose tomorrow, but i'm too scared to take the leap. Right now I am feeling anxious. I also didn't get much sleep yesterday, so that could be part of the reason. I'm very sensitive to meds :( I just want to be anxiety free!

will351
06-08-18, 00:46
Can ventlafaxine work at 75xl after 30 days

Jem21
06-08-18, 17:23
It's nice to know my post has helped someone, it's been a bit of a help to me too recently. I settled well on 75mg and I've been fine for 6 months, then about 3 weeks ago I felt my anxiety building up again. I called the doctors and they increased me to 112.5 which I will have been on 3 weeks tomorrow. Been back today for a review and the anxiety is no better so we have decided to increase to 150mg tomorrow. Must admit I'm petrified but I need to do something as this anxiety is driving me nuts. Got another review at the doctors two weeks today. I'm still going to work which has been tough, I also have quite a few diazepam left from when I first started these, managed to not use any yet but that could change. Here goes.

Jem21
07-08-18, 12:41
Well yes that certainly did change, i wound up taking a diazepam at about half 6 last night as had a bit of a melt down and crying fit. Stayed at my parents and went to bed about half 9, took a while to get to sleep and i tossed and turned for a bit. Woke up at quarter to 6 this morning with really high anxiety, laid in bed till 7 then got up. Took my first 150mg dose today and i've had a very shakey day up to now, managed a piece of bread to take my tablet this morning and also just managed a chicken sarnie for Lunch. I'm trying to keep busy at work but it's hard when you have the anxiety/shaky feeling. Also having a lot of scary thoughts, like what if the tablets don't work and will this anxiety ever go. Can't say it's much fun.
Going to go out and about this afternoon so that should pass a bit of time.
Till later Ven buddies. x

Jem21
08-08-18, 17:18
Day 2 today and it's been another anxiety filled day.
The anxiety eased a little yesterday afternoon but i just felt weird, it came back at tea time though, i managed some dinner at my parents, they had done a BBQ so i forced some chicken down and some potatoes. The anxiety cleared a bit later on but i felt strange and quite flat. Went to bed at half 9 and slept through till 6 this morning, also had a really vivid dream last night which i remembered really clearly this morning. Had anxiety all day day and quite a few worrying thoughts which ramp it up again. It's been like that on and off for most of the day. Been a busy one at work though although i felt myself zoning out at times. When it's not full blown anxiety it's an on edge shakey feeling, also tensing my shoulders and arms up alot. Going to go back and sleep at home tonight i think. Not needed any diazepam as yet on this increase but i know it's really early. Still having a lot of scary thoughts about the medication not working though.
Got to battle on through Ven Warriors!!

Jem21
09-08-18, 08:38
Good morning day 3, last night was manageable, went home and had a bit of tea and watched some tv. Went to bed about 10 but it took a good two hours to get to sleep. Felt quite calm but had some tummy ache and quite restless until I fell asleep about 12. Woke at 7 this morning and feel quite shaky. I can really feel it in my legs and can't decide if I am jaw clenching slightly. Got lots of meetings at work this morning so that should keep me fairly busy. Here's hoping it's an ok day. Till later x

Jem21
12-08-18, 11:07
Day 3 was fairly difficult, I felt spaced out through most of my morning meetings, I left work about 3 and went over to visit my Nan, came home and took a diazepam the evening was alright after that, went to Sainsbury's with my partner to get some tea and managed to eat it all.

Day 4 started shaky but I went to work and coped ok, came home and my partner and the boys were out at rugby so I had a shower and washed my hair, made myself beans on toast and watched tv till they all came home at half ten. No diazepam needed.
Day 5 wasn't as good. Pottered about at home in the morning, I was very shaky and foggy headed. Went out on the motorbike with my partner in the afternoon to visit my Nan, was getting wound up with thoughts all afternoon. Came home and it went quite downhill. Took the dog for a walk but it didn't settle so took a diazepam about half 7 and then went to bed about quarter past nine.

Day 6... slept till half 9 this morning, another vivid dream last night. Woke quite shaky with a headache and foggy head. Am going out this afternoon to watch my step son play rugby. Feel quite flat today as well.
I hope today is better than yesterday but I know I am in side effects window at the moment so diazepam on standby.

Till later fellow venners xx

Linda 10
12-08-18, 18:05
I am glad you are managing ok and not to many diazepam , I am 4 weeks in to increase to 112.5 but think I will have to go up again as anxiety been high the last 2 days keek posting I will b reading your log with interest Take care. Linda. X
:bighug1:

Jem21
16-08-18, 17:26
Hi all....

Day 10 today, not really updated this for the last few days and things have been bad.
It all got quite worse from day 7, the anxiety really ramped up and things have been difficult. I've needed a diazepam the last few days to try and take the edge off but it's been really quite scary.

Today i'm praying that the extra anxiety side effect is calming down. Managed today up to now with no diazepam, i had quite high anxiety when i first woke up which settled to under the surface anxiety. I've felt quite spaced/zoned today and it's been quite hard to concentrate. Also had a really bad tired spell early for a couple of hours, it felt like i was dragging myself around and i really just wanted to sleep at my desk. It's so hard being at work but least i'm with people when i'm here rather than be at home on my own all day while everyone is at work. Most people at work know so i don't have to pretend.

Went for blood tests at the doctors this morning and i have a review with the doctor on Monday for my blood results and a ven review as i will have been on the 150mg for 2 weeks then.
I think the only way i can explain how i'm feeling is kinda flat and shaky.
Let's hope i am over the worst, this has by far been the hardest increase out of them all.
Take care xxx

Ethansmom
02-10-18, 15:34
Hi,
I am on day 10 of venlafaxine 150MG and feeling very anxious. Yesterday I had to take a Xanax to calm down. I am hoping that this feeling will pass in a few weeks. I don't want to go any higher than I have to. Still dealing with acid reflux with the meds. It comes and goes, so I'll try to still it out. I am feeling flat and tired. Not as much energy as I had one I first started the 112.5.

I hope this passes. I'm also dealing with pink eye, so this has been quite a rough week.

Linda 10
02-10-18, 16:58
What is pink eye ? Take care. Linda. Xx:bighug1:

Homer47
02-10-18, 19:22
Hi i will be starting next week after my reduced week on setraline bit nervy now reading reviews and stories on here. Venlafaxine next week i mean.

Jem21
24-12-19, 18:17
Wow time has passed and I'm back here again. I settled on 150mg of ven but after quite a while I started having a lot of arm tension and bad headaches, i put these down to the ven and dropped the dose back down to 112mg. I had no problems at all. After a few months of this I was still having problems so decided to drop down to 75mg as I knew I needed to be on that dose if I were to swap to something else. I suffered dizzy spells and brain zaps for a week but they were quite manageable. I wasnt waking up with a stiff neck and headache every day. I did all this without speaking to my doctor. Then low and behold 6 weeks later I get a flu bug, and within a week of that I'm back in anxiety hell. My family convinced me to go back up to 112mg till I can get into the doctors in january. I wasnt sure about this but did it and today is day 12 on the increased dose and it's not fun at all. To top it off I now have another bug, with a cough, blocked nose, sinus pain, and nausea. Although I dont know what are side effects, what's just me and what is the bug. Anxiety is high right now. I slept for 4 hours this afternoon and I've woken to it raging. I just feel too run down to deal with it which gives me even more anxiety. I've only taken 2 diazepam so far on this increase so I'm going to take one now and hope I can manage to get through Christmas eve ok. Merry christmas all. X

Maca44
25-12-19, 17:28
Sounds like the same mistake that I made some months ago. I would never change dose without seeing my doc first, it was a disaster.

panic_down_under
25-12-19, 21:42
To top it off I now have another bug, with a cough, blocked nose, sinus pain, and nausea. Although I dont know what are side effects, what's just me and what is the bug. Anxiety is high right now.

An immune system in overdrive can trigger or worsen anxiety and depression. In several respects, anxiety and depression are the symptoms of an immune system disorder (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3002174/). Patients taking immune system boosting meds such as interferon (http://www.hepmag.com/articles/hepatitis_interferon_depression_2501_22378.shtml) to treat viral diseases and cancers are now often also prescribed a SSRI because of this. Immune system proteins may also reduce the effectiveness (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3337012/) of antidepressants.

Jem21
26-12-19, 16:25
Learnt that the hard way Macca, day 14 on increased dose back up to 112 and still not in a good place. Last couple of days have been really bad. We went out for christmas lunch yesterday and managed my food ok, we got home and opened presents then my parents left at tea time. Sat with my partner and the kids and watched tv last night but made myself do it as I really just wanted to go to bed to get away from it all. Slept till 11am today, felt quite out of it and really couldn't explain to my partner what was wrong when he asked. Had a bit of a melt down and a cry and wound up taking a diazepam at lunch time although dont think it did too much. Been getting quite a bit of chest pain this time round which isn't an anxiety symptom I usually get so that's freaking me out. We've just got back from taking the dog out which was such an effort. Got the family all coming back tonight for games and pizza so I hope I manage ok. Till tomorrow my fellow ven comrades.

Maca44
26-12-19, 18:27
Do you suffer from HA anxiety ?. I have found Ven has worked quite well for this along with general anxiety. Im on top gp dose of 225mg slow release and its really helping but might ask if i can drop a dose as my sleep is terrible at the moment. Keep pushing on things will settle.

Jem21
29-12-19, 11:29
Yeah a little bit Maca but I usually do it for a few days then I can manage to talk myself out of it. I never tell anyone though just worry it in my head.

Today is day 18 on the increase to 112mg and still struggling. It's been a bad few days, had a bit of a meltdown and a cry yesterday. Got no motivation whatsoever and everything is an effort. I dont know what to do with myself so I tend to just sit and think rather than actually do anything. Back at work tomorrow which I think is a good thing as I will have to get up and go out early. I think the excess anxiety from the increase is settling but it does ramp up late afternoon and i also feel quite queasy then too. Also feel very flat and tired. I'm going to make a doctors appointment tomorrow. My son has a kids driving lesson this afternoon and then the family are coming for dinner so here's hoping for a better day today.

Maca44
29-12-19, 12:49
Alot of what you say rings true in my head. I often get HA which stays in my head the goes after a few days then onto the next health worry. Ven has helped alot with this but just sitting feeling unmotivated is horrible. Without my p/t work I feel I would be much worse.

Jo79
29-12-19, 14:54
Hi Jem, hopefully you’ll get there soon, you’ve done it before and you’ll do it again :bighug1:. I know it’s rough feeling like you can’t do anything but I always find getting out for a walk really helps. I really have to push myself sometimes but I always feel proud of myself for it. I’m 3 days into increasing to 300mg and also feeling the increasing anxiety hard at the moment. I’m hoping this will be the dose for me as i’ve always had to get up to max dose on antidepressants before they’re effective. I’m also on mirtazapine and quetiapine so I’m currently a walking pharmacy :D

Jem21
04-01-20, 10:50
Just over 3 weeks on the increased dose now, the excess anxiety has settled. My anxiety in general is slightly better but still having issues. I'm tense slot of the time, I have that uncomfortable feeling in my tummy and chest like something is wrong but I dont know what. I have no energy and everything is an effort, my arms and legs feel heavy and my head feels full and heavy. I'm sleeping fine, in fact I think I could sleep all day if I let myself. All I want to do is eat. I still think about it pretty much 24/7 but I am able to function now. I get wound up and stressed out very easily and it takes me ages to muster up any effort to do anything. I dont feel sad but I dont feel happy either and I'm struggling to find any enjoyment in things. I'm still locked into myself. I have a doctors appointment on monday and my other half is coming with me so we will see what my doc says then. I hope you are all doing ok on your own ven journeys and I'll update after I've been on monday. Take care all and happy new year. X

panic_down_under
04-01-20, 11:28
I have that uncomfortable feeling in my tummy and chest like something is wrong but I dont know what. I have no energy and everything is an effort, my arms and legs feel heavy and my head feels full and heavy. I'm sleeping fine, in fact I think I could sleep all day if I let myself. All I want to do is eat. I still think about it pretty much 24/7 but I am able to function now. I get wound up and stressed out very easily and it takes me ages to muster up any effort to do anything. I dont feel sad but I dont feel happy either and I'm struggling to find any enjoyment in things. I'm still locked into myself.

Three weeks is still very early days, Jemma. Unfortunately, there is nothing quick about ADs. Their therapeutic effect is mediated by biological changes and brain cells don't grow overnight. The anxiety easing is a good sign.

Maca44
04-01-20, 12:33
The best way for me to explain my Ven journey is this.

I see my anxiety as a door in my head which 6mths back, was constantly knocking and when I opened it Mr fear,anxiety,panic would just push past me run around in my head making me feel bad. As time has passed and Ven increased I find the door still is knocking but not so much and now when I open it maybe one will push past me but I can slam the door on the other two and the one who pushed past the door gets bored and leaves after a short time.
This is the only med that I can feel working in my head and I've tried a few over the years so I hope that the door knocking gets less and less.

Hope that makes sence.

Jo79
12-01-20, 16:21
Just over 3 weeks on the increased dose now, the excess anxiety has settled. My anxiety in general is slightly better but still having issues. I'm tense slot of the time, I have that uncomfortable feeling in my tummy and chest like something is wrong but I dont know what. I have no energy and everything is an effort, my arms and legs feel heavy and my head feels full and heavy. I'm sleeping fine, in fact I think I could sleep all day if I let myself. All I want to do is eat. I still think about it pretty much 24/7 but I am able to function now. I get wound up and stressed out very easily and it takes me ages to muster up any effort to do anything. I dont feel sad but I dont feel happy either and I'm struggling to find any enjoyment in things. I'm still locked into myself. I have a doctors appointment on monday and my other half is coming with me so we will see what my doc says then. I hope you are all doing ok on your own ven journeys and I'll update after I've been on monday. Take care all and happy new year. X

This is exactly how I’m feeling now, two weeks into 300mg. How are things now Jem?