PDA

View Full Version : Low fasting blood sugar?

ChiefsCML
30-11-17, 11:48
I checked my blood sugar after 8 hours of not eating when I couldn’t sleep in the middle of the night (I’ve been having lots of HA over diabetes lately) and my blood sugar actually came out to 65. I had been really busy all day and only eaten about 500-600 calories, so I ate a yogurt/some turkey, then tested again after 30 mins and it was at 87.

I have also been getting light headed at times recently. Is the low blood sugar cause for concern? Is it because I didn’t eat much yesterday?

fbmb
30-11-17, 12:48
That's a little low but not concerning - especially after eating so little. One time I checked mine after not eating for 5 hours and it was 66. But I'm thin and I drink a lot of water. If I don't eat for several hours I feel like it's low. That's not unusual. You need a balanced diet with lots of healthy fiber and protein. If you eat sugar alone (like a donut) your blood sugars could end up even lower and could crash. Balance it out with protein.

I am knowledgeable about diabetes because my grandparents have it, my mom and 4 of her siblings have it, my 4 cousins have it. A couple have T1 but the rest have T2. Its very hereditary to have type 2. Been around it my whole life. People with diabetes have high blood sugars. Your fasting glucose would need to be in the mid 100s before a doctor would even look at that. The fact that it's low says you don't have it. And if after eating yogurt (which has lactose and other sugars) your blood sugar was a healthy 87 - that's a good thing. My mom's would probably jump to 150 after a yogurt.

---------- Post added at 05:48 ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 ----------

And feeling light headed, sweaty, nauseous, shaky - that's all from low blood sugar. When mine was 66 I felt that way. Again, normal. Just eat so that doesn't happen. It's hard on your body.

au Lait
30-11-17, 15:53
Yes, it’s just because you didn’t eat enough. Try to make time for more frequent smaller meals or snacks throughout the day if you don’t have time for regular meals. Not getting enough fuel will definitely make you feel light headed.