PDA

View Full Version : Could this be a case of too much caffeine?

beasty340
30-11-17, 20:08
One thing that I have noticed recently is when I drink coffee, I get very shaky, a little dizzy, and kind of just feel unwell. This has been going on for 2-3 years now and I can't seem to enjoy coffee anymore. BUT, I can drink Dr. Pepper, Coke, and tea (black and green) without feeling unwell at all. I have even drank a Red Bull and it does not make me feel bad, but a Monster (has higher caffeine) will make me feel bad. Could this just be from too much caffeine? I've kind been worried about my blood sugar (not diabetic) or even my blood pressure being off. Thanks!

Fishmanpa
30-11-17, 20:15
One thing that I have noticed recently is when I drink coffee, I get very shaky, a little dizzy, and kind of just feel unwell. This has been going on for 2-3 years now and I can't seem to enjoy coffee anymore. BUT, I can drink Dr. Pepper, Coke, and tea (black and green) without feeling unwell at all. I have even drank a Red Bull and it does not make me feel bad, but a Monster (has higher caffeine) will make me feel bad. Could this just be from too much caffeine? I've kind been worried about my blood sugar (not diabetic) or even my blood pressure being off. Thanks!

Based on what you said, what's your opinion?

Positive thoughts

.Poppy.
30-11-17, 20:18
Oh yeah, that's a classic sign of too much caffeine.

I can drink tea and pop pretty well, but if I drink coffee or any kind of coffee-based drink or any energy drink, I feel awful. It's sad, because I'm a sucker for Dunkin' Donuts Dunkachinos (don't judge!) but I can only get a small and even then sometimes I feel bad after.

Make sure to drink lots of water, and limit your caffeine intake. I wish that caffeine would just give me energy like everyone else, but I guess we're just unlucky. :/ It might be for the best though - my friend is addicted to caffeine, to the point she feels bad if she DOESN'T drink her coffee!

beasty340
30-11-17, 20:57
Oh yeah, that's a classic sign of too much caffeine.

I can drink tea and pop pretty well, but if I drink coffee or any kind of coffee-based drink or any energy drink, I feel awful. It's sad, because I'm a sucker for Dunkin' Donuts Dunkachinos (don't judge!) but I can only get a small and even then sometimes I feel bad after.

Make sure to drink lots of water, and limit your caffeine intake. I wish that caffeine would just give me energy like everyone else, but I guess we're just unlucky. :/ It might be for the best though - my friend is addicted to caffeine, to the point she feels bad if she DOESN'T drink her coffee!

Yes, soda, green tea, and sweet tea do not do anything to me. But, as soon as I have some coffee I am jittery, shaky, and just do not feel great. I guess it is just too much of a concentration of caffeine.

---------- Post added at 15:57 ---------- Previous post was at 15:55 ----------

Based on what you said, what's your opinion?

Positive thoughts

I think it is most likely a sensitivity to caffeine, but I used to be able to drink coffee a lot and feel fine. I guess that is the part that worries me. It seems to only be coffee that really gets to me and those high caffeine energy drinks.

Fishmanpa
30-11-17, 21:15
I think it is most likely a sensitivity to caffeine, but I used to be able to drink coffee a lot and feel fine. I guess that is the part that worries me. It seems to only be coffee that really gets to me and those high caffeine energy drinks.

My wife used to be able to drink whole milk. She developed an intolerance to it seemingly overnight. Our bodies change and we have to adapt. Cut out the caffeine and see what happens. Nothing to lose but unpleasant symptoms right? ;)

Positive thoughts

bella33
30-11-17, 21:30
Hi, I used to get this too. I used to be a heavy coffee drinker and then realized it was worsening my anxiety, so I cut it down and then eventually cut it out of my diet. I used to get really shaky, dizzy and jittery every time I would drink it and it just kind of worsened my anxiety (especially my physical symptoms). Maybe try to just limit your coffee intake, or try decaf? I drank decaf for a while, and it was especially useful for when I was "craving" coffee or just really wanted to drink it. It doesn't really taste too much different.

Siffi
01-12-17, 00:46
Yeah I get that too, hence why I stay away from anything caffeinated. Like I get that horrible feeling I'm on edge. Sounds like your body doesn't like that stuff haha

MyNameIsTerry
01-12-17, 02:08
Examine the caffeine content. Coffee is higher than tea. Teas vary by caffeine strength e.g. green is lower than black. Soft drinks tend to have little caffeine content.

I tolerate tea, soft drinks fine. But I never liked coffee anyway.

Some energy drinks include guarana. That has a much higher level of caffeine in it than other sources of caffeine. I used to take high strength guarana in my training days. It's also advised against in certain antidepressants so always check that one out.

They even put Taurine in energy drinks to counteract the effects of the caffeine or it would make them even more powerful. Several cases have shown how too many of these drinks can be detrimental. It's a reason the diagnostic manuals have included a caffeine-induced form of anxiety disorder in the same categories as drugs.

What you describe is classic caffeine to me. It's supposed to do that to you. Take less and you feel it less. Take more and you might be bouncing off the walls.