PDA

View Full Version : Memory Issues, Anxiety Escalated, Feel Like I’m At The End

TheTempestuous
30-11-17, 22:59
To introduce myself, I’m a 26-year-old man from Texas, currently living with my roommate (I’d moved out a little over 3 years ago). I work as a janitor over at a local elementary school.

My current symptoms seem to have started at work during the summer, though I’m no stranger to anxiety (convinced myself I’d never be able to sleep again around summer 2014 because it’d get too hot to sleep sometimes, and a few years before that I had a panic attack stemming from a shortness of breath, and his combined with other factors forced me to drop out of college). Now it’s general anxiety about my memory.

This summer we had to deep-clean the school, top to bottom, the whole nine yards. my own assigned task was to shampoo the carpets; this involved using an extraction/vacuum machine in a school that wasn’t well-air conditioned for about an hour or so per room, for eight hours (with an hour’s break in the middle). A suffice to say I was dripping sweat during the day, to the point that it was cascading down my forehead onto the insides of my glasses. I had to do this for two weeks, and afterwards there were some general hangups with staff problems and supply problems and every other issue you could think of.

At the same time, I had a couple of friends who were going through an argument about rent; it ended up with one of them moving out and cutting off all communication with him, and me. We used to hang out at least once a week and play cards, but that hasn’t happened for months now.

Anyway, back to the symptoms. At one point in mid August I was carrying tables from the gym to a side ramp that connects it to the cafeteria; I was also listening to a podcast at the time, since no one was around and I like to have something to listen to when I’m working. I pick up a table while I’m listening to this podcast and I divert my attention away back to the table, and suddenly my mind goes numb; for almost a half minute I forgot where the tables were supposed to go, even though it was just across the gym. I remembered eventually, but it weirded me out.

Further along as autumn approached, I started forgetting names: bands I enjoyed listening to, the name of a local college (Texas A&M, which I kept thinking was A&T for some reason); the words “hourglass”, “inspired”, “proliferate” (in the context of Magic the Gathering), “soiled”, etc. Then about a month ago, I did a big no-no: I consulted with Dr. Google, who told me my symptoms could definitely line up with early-onset Alzheimer’s.

So... this is all I’ve been thinking about the past month or so. I brought up my concerns with my GP, and she ordered a blood test which came out normal save for a slightly elevated glucose (104) and rather low B12 (274). I also found this site, and the legacy of Rutherford Rane, which gave me a bit of relief during my darker moments. I’m also taking 10mg of Lexapro each day, along with 2000 IU of D3 and 1000mcg of B12, all started since the 19th of October. But now it’s to the point where, yesterday (Wednesday), I was watching a video during break and remembered... something that I’d briefly forgotten, then kept watching the video and suddenly couldn’t recall what I’d forgotten. This has put me over the edge: I’m shaky, my muscles are tensing up, and I’m convinced more than ever I’m going to become like my grandmother, who is 82 and has dementia (though it could be a product of her diabetes, I haven’t confirmed that).

I just want to know whether or not I should be alarmed. I’m convinced I’m going to forget everything and descend into what I always feared the most, and the thought has become so consuming I don’t feel like doing anything else. I’ve barely gotten out of bed; all I can think of is the friends I have online, the family I have, who I could forget all about as I slowly sink into a miserable death that I’ll never be cognizant of. My one and only hope is that this is all stemming from some nutritional deficiency and I *know* deep down that Alz at 26 is laughably rare, especially with no family history of EOA... but still.

I know this was a long post but it’s what’s been lurking in the back of my mind for a month. There are other small things I forget: I have to double check trash cans sometimes to make sure I’ve emptied them, stuff like that. But I haven’t gotten lost in my own apartment or questioned who familiar people are or whatnot. But I can only think of how long I have until that becomes a reality. What can I do?

SG
01-12-17, 12:47
Your memory symptoms happen to me too sometimes, and I too have been paranoid about early onset dementia or Alzheimers after reading an article about it. (I'm 30). My grandmother is also in her 80s and doesn't recognise her family now and her sister also died in her 70s from complications due to the disease.

This has been one of the only issues I've had recently that I've been able to rationalize. I think it's natural to have mind blanks sometimes and happens to everyone. In moments of absent-mindedness I've done some ridiculous things like put my phone down somewhere and 30 seconds later have no memory of where I've put it, or walk into the kitchen and can't remember what I intended to do there. This happens to almost everyone I know sometimes too. I also think with people like us who are prone to anxiety, the racing thoughts/overthinking distract our minds even further and become all-consuming which stops our brains from focusing on other things and makes us forgetful.

Early on-set dementia is obviously very rare and one thing that helps me feel better with anxieties like this is to remind myself if it is already so unlikely for one of us to be suffering from it, the odds are even smaller that we've both got it, and yet we're both having these same worrying thoughts so the chances are it is just anxiety.

TheTempestuous
01-12-17, 20:49
That is somewhat of a relief, yeah - I know I’m not alone in this, which is why I posted here. But it’s rough; it doesn’t help that I have ADHD and some of this may be overlapping with my ADHD - I can’t relax and turn off my thoughts at all, which has contributed to this new spike in anxiety, because it feels like if I do so, I won’t ever get my thoughts back. It sounds silly, but that’s just been my thought process the past month and especially this past week. I just don’t know what to do anymore; I’ve requested another appointment with my doctor, so hopefully I’ll be able to come in as soon as possible and finally be on my way to recovery, whatever the heck is actually wrong with me, but it feels torturous to have to wait.

Juggar
04-12-17, 08:18
You kinda sound like me. I am almost the same age as well and live with a roommate, but I guess the roommate part is irrelevant haha.

I also convinced myself last November that I would never sleep again. It lead to months of terrible insomnia and terrible generalized anxiety was the net result of it. I also got panic attacks and such. Pretty much the definition of generalized anxiety and I suffer with it daily.

Like you, I have random periods where I will focus on one thing and it constantly changes. Right now, I have hard time in public places since I’m worried I’ll get dizzy and faint or have a panic attack. As a college graduate I KNOW these thoughts are silly but I just can’t help what I feel.

The way I see it, the metal “immune system” we have has been compromised and this cascade of problems/anxiety/overthinking/OCD/constant self reflection seems to be the result of it.

It’s in your DNA, some people are simply more prone to anxiety and issues like this. I had my DNA tested by 23andme and also ran it through Prometheus for potential health issues and the results really gave me insight into the issues i was facing. Even letting me know what drugs I may respond best to.

https://selfhacked.com/blog/worrier-warrior-explaining-rs4680comt-v158m-gene/#TheWorrier_ALower_COMT_Higher_Dopamine_Met

I got the worrier “AA” according to my results. And man, the definition for “AA” fits me like a glove.

Knowing this has helped me understand why I am the way I am and has helped me accept and process this anxiety. It’s no longer a mystery and can be treated.

Honestly OP, you’re 26, you don’t have Alzheimer’s or dementia. Sounds to me like you might have too involved in the pod cast and you simply forgot the task at hand.

It also may be normal to have memory blips, it’s just that you are paying far too much attention to them. I’m quite sure that’s what’s happening, as I’ve noticed slightly worse memory function since the anxiety but really, it’s just the constant analysis of anything that I think might be threat to my wellbeing. I feel like you may be in the same boat.

You mentioned deficiencies, in today’s world we eat a lot of processed foods and it’s just not good for us. We are facing a nationwide mental health crisis, unlike anything that’s been seen before. Men end up with low testosterone and depression and anxiety can easily result from this. Low self worth as well. Adrenal fatigue is another one. Basically think of it like this, garbage in garbage out. If you eat fast food every day you are not helping yourself. Even 30 years ago people just didn’t live like this. I look around me and see people I grew up with and went to school with and many of them are facing severe anxiety, depression, OCD etc...

I do believe that talking about it with someone that understands can genuinely help you. CBT may be an option. I myself have tried talking to my friends but they just don’t understand. I don’t blame them though, you really have to have experienced it to actually understand.

I know it’s a lot to read but I really felt the need to reply. You’re not alone in this and I truly, truly hope you feel better soon.

Fishmanpa
04-12-17, 12:52
Actually, the fact you're able to recall the timeline of events leading up to you posting proves otherwise. We all forget stuff. Heck, I get up from my chair to do something and forget what I was going to do more times than I'd like to admit ~lol~ Besides, it's a common anxiety symptom as your mind is pre-occupied with worry.

Positive thoughts, senior moments and brain farts. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nndS22Qda0)

TheTempestuous
13-04-18, 03:52
Bit of an update, after several months.

After I posted I continued my regimen of vitamins and the Lexapro, and for the most part I was feeling better regarding both my anxiety and the fears that were triggering it. I voiced some concerns with my GP (whom I saw again both in mid-December and early February) and I had a generally solid holiday period.

Late January however brought about a bit of an odd predicament: my three month trial of my Lexapro was up, and CVS called me up when I had about three pills left to say they couldn’t refill it because they didn’t have permission from my GP (or something along those lines, I don’t recall the exact wording). So I scheduled an appointment with my GP for “asap”... and nothing. A week pases mend my request times out, so I do so again and finally get one for the 9th of February. Unfortunately this meant I was making three 10 mg pills last for multiple weeks, which, after taking them regularly for months, probably was not the greatest idea.

Day of the appointment arrives and I’m giving an update to my GP, telling her that I did experience immediate withdrawal symptoms (panic attacks and the like, though they actually seemed to dissipate pretty soon afterwards) and she advised I up my dose to 20; I was apprehensive of this and desired to stick with 10. The prescription was filled and I was on my way.

Then things got weird.

I don’t know exactly when it started, but quite soon after (a week or so?) I started experiencing odd symptoms. Anorgasmia was one that caught me off guard; I have no romantic partner so it’s not that kind of problem, but “relaxing” at night or in the afternoon, most especially soon after I take my medication (about 12:00 or 1:00, at lunchtime) would prove difficult or impossible. The most worrisome to me, though, is that my short term memory - sometimes my memory in general - has decided it doesn’t want to cooperate anymore. At work I’d double back and check trash cans I’d cleaned because I couldn’t recall if I’d emptied them before. Thinking of minor events (meals and such) throughout the week beforehand was difficult, and I’d have to spend a bit trying to ascertain these minor details. Ordering events was also odd - I was trying to remember one day when I did the laundry in conjunction with a D&D game I was in, but suddenly I felt uncertain when I’d done so, whether it was Saturday night or Sunday (the clothes in my hamper were still warm from the dryer, so obviously Sunday, but my brain seemed locked in some weird mire).

More recently it’s encompassed things like:
* Buying a bottle of soda at work, taking it to a classroom, leaving the classroom to talk to my coworker (throwing away the bottle in transit) then later as I’m walking home remembering the soda, but not the act of tossing the bottle, wondering whether I’d left the bottle in the classroom overnight
* Mixing up the word “confetti” with “graffiti”
* Double-checking mirrors and trash cans at my new work place (I transferred schools a week before Good Friday/Easter break) because my brain didn’t recall me actually doing them like 5 minutes ago
* Waking up to my phone informing me about a charge on my card from the vending machine at work and remembering dumping out what I purchased from the machine, but not the actual action of buying the bottle (though in hindsight I was listening to a video on earbuds so my attention wasn’t wholly on it)
* Being stuck on my roommate’s old house number, instead of his cellphone number, when I was trying to remember what his number was because I was intending on messaging him about the mail (this was today and kind of the impetus for resurrecting this thread in the first place)
* Also from today: getting my paycheck, recognizing that I wasn’t paid for a day’s worth, knowing that there was a perfectly rational reason for it but for some reason having a mental block about it until I looked back through text messages I knew referenced it and remembered it was for Good Friday

... among other, similarly minor things. I still haven’t done anything like misplace my valuables in odd locations or gotten lost at work or home or on the streets, and I was able to learn my new work routine and the names of my new coworkers and a good chunk of the staff that work there without much issue. But ultimately my old fears of cognitive decline, 40 years early, have resurfaced, infinitesimal as I know the chances are (I turned 27 a month ago). I know I should talk to my GP about this (though a blood test and follow up were both already scheduled for late April/May 2 respectively), and I’m 80% convinced going back on the Lexapro has triggered this somehow... but in the back of my mind I fear something greater and more dire has occurred. It doesn’t feel like it did back in August and September - most of that was long-term issues probably anxiety/depression related and again, it seemed to have abated somewhat as Inwas taking the medication - but my fervent thirst for information has led me back through the same dark path of internet browsing for what could be going wrong.

Thus I’m back here, hoping for more advice; y’all were helpful back then and I hope I can assuage my anxiety once more. My brain just feels like I’m missing half of it, and I’m dreading the worst, again.