PDA

View Full Version : major panic attack

bubbleblitt
22-06-07, 08:36
here I go again.....have been counting down to a flight next week.have been feeling major panicky feeling for weeks and weeks and getting up very early.This morning I decided I couldn't cope with this feeling of fear so I took a valium and it's even worse now because I don't feel even slightly better!I wsa in tears when I took my son to school and he says I should just drop out of the trip and let my family go without me.he says it's upsetting for all of them to see me like this and that makes me feel guilty.Just don't know what to do>this fear seesm to be getting worse the more I fly, Bubble

lucy0927
22-06-07, 16:47
Hi Bubble,

I know how you feel, I haven't been away for about 5 years as I just can't face the flying and how I think I'll feel when I get there. I think you're brave to have even got up to a week before the flight without dropping out.

There's two ways to look at it, JFDI and hopefully once you get there you'll enjoy yourself and you'll have a fantastic time (maybe feel a little anxious but nothing like you thought you would). That's the positive way of dealing with it, but as you and I and everyone else knows that's the hardest way. The other option is to not go but then you feel like you're letting everyone down and what if you feel no better at home on your own than you would away, you have to do what's best for you.

I know that right now, I couldn't do it, I'm not strong enough to take that big step yet while I'm still trying to think positively about my other anxieties. So I don't do it, I tell my friends and family that at the moment I can't fly and I can't stay away from home too long. I'm trying to take baby steps and do days away and then maybe a night, then maybe a weekend, but a little at a time. It's how I cope best, some people JFDI and go for it.

Try not to think about it too much but do what is going to be right for you, try looking at what is going to be right for you and what will help you. If it's not going then so be it, you'll try it again another time, maybe a little bit of a smaller step. But try not to beat yourself up about it, think positive things and try not to focus on all the negative stuff you think will happen.

I've found recently saying to myself, what's the worse that could happen and can I deal with it if it does. In most cases it's 'yes', even if you feel bad there you can get a flight home (worst case scenario). Do what's right for you.

Sorry about the long reply, once I started typing I couldn't stop :blush:

bubbleblitt
23-06-07, 07:43
Hi Lucy, thank you so much for your reply.It makes such a difference when you can share the anxiety with other people who are going through it/have gone through it and are sympathetic.Every time I take a trip that involves flying I get off and say never again and then a few months later I book another flight! My husband thinks I'm crazy! I used to be very panicky before and during the flight and then wind down on holiday and be ok ish until a few days before the return flight.The last few years the anxiety builds up here weeks before we fly out and then I never really wind down in Florida because the thought of the return flight makes me anxious.
This year we are taking my daughter and our two lovely grandsons with us and that is actually adding to the pressure.My husband keeps saying think how upset the grandsons will be if you don't go.Sorry to ramble on!
Your plan of baby steps sounds better.I have decided that whatever happens next week I am taking some time out from flying.I have ben doing this for the last 20 odd years and it seems to be getting worse not better.
You're right about what you say about making the decision.I have to work out would I be more or less panicky if I dropped out and stayed here by myself ( my 24 yr old son would be here though)Although the thought of having a few weeks to myself is quite tempting too.I lead a very busy life and have never been by myself since I had my first baby 26 years ago! Will keep you posted and hope you are ok, Bev

michellemumof4
23-06-07, 08:40
hi there,

I am so sorry to hear that your thinking of not going , I flew at xmas to florida ( long flight ) like you i was petrified, I even had a pa In the car on the way to the airport, then lots more in the airport too ... I took lots of things to distract myself - ie wordsearches, games , books - I also took mints , and wipes to cool myself down it was my anxiety first aid kit lol.

In my mind i split the trip into 2 hour sessions , i said ok done two hours , 2 more to do it made it easier somehow, I did tell one of the cabin crew that I suffrered from SEVERE anxiety and they were fantastic , they gave me ice if i got all hot and bothered and even allowed me into the kitchen area to take some deep breaths when it got a bit too much.

I made sure that i wore loose clothing , so i didnt feel restricted in any way, and made sure my hubbie gave me lots of love and attention too lol

It wasnt easy but oh boy the satisfaction of having ahceived it was FANTASTIC, it gave me a new lease of life , we spent a fantastic 3 weeks in Florida - I even managed to go on some scary rides , which was a big thing too ............

I hope you do go and have a wonderful time, remember anxiety is a big horrible bully , pls dont let it win ...

Once more thing , if you have a freind who is a support buddy back home, text them whilst your away send them progress reports , it always helps me to have my support buddy kick me up the butt when i need it

GOOD LUCK :yesyes:

bubbleblitt
24-06-07, 07:44
thanks for your reply Michelle.I am still struggling with the anxiety-the mornings are definately the worst time.My mind goes in to overdrive! I'll let you know how I get on.I just can't make my mind up about if I'll be okay when I get there.Last year we went for 4 weeks and I spent the first week recovering for the flight and the 2nd week relaxing and then next two weesk worked up about flying home! Bev

bubbleblitt
25-06-07, 05:48
still struggling with this....really nervous now as the day approaches and keep wondering if I have the nerve to go through with the flight.My husband is saying that he would rather I didn't go than have to watch me panicking.He says if I am nervous because I think the plane's going to crash then I'm being selfish by just thinking about me! It's horrible because I don't want to make him upset but I feel like it's all out of my control.I'll keep posting here Bev

bubbleblitt
27-06-07, 07:15
Just over 24 hours to go before the flight to heathrow and still panicking but really want to get this over and done with now.I know I've done this dozens of times but the fear is tremendous.I'm still drinking the camomile tea and taking the Rescue Remedy. Then have 48 hours to get through and the long haul flight! Will keep posting here and do my best Bev x

michellemumof4
27-06-07, 08:48
Hi Bev ,

as you know i work for NO PANIC telephone - 08088080545 take this number with you if you go - it may cost a little as i dont remember where your travellin too ,

Do you have a text budy if not let me know I will happily supply a mobile number for you to contact me if you need to , I promise to be there whilst your away no matter what ,,, as some by another post I am on of them that JFDI lol , its hard but i promise you - YOU CAN DO THIS - Remember tell the cabin crew you have anxiety so they can help too

Good luck love

I am thinking of you xxxx

panicdiva
27-06-07, 23:36
If you want my mobile no, please pm me & I will send it to you. You can text me whenever you want & I will try my best to help you through this too. I really mean it .

bubbleblitt
28-06-07, 05:35
thank you both so much.I am wide awake and we leave at around half 7 this morning for the airport.I have decided that I will try and fly to Heathrow and then see how I do on that flight.I'm doing my best but all the memories of my previous flights and panic attacks keep flooding back! I have told my husband that I will do my best but I am so stressed out with all the panic over the last few weeks.If I can get online in the next few days I'll keep in touch, thanks again for your support Bev

bubbleblitt
11-07-07, 12:22
just a quick update-I'm here in Florida and so I made it on the flights! It was SO hard though and now I'm already worked up about coming back! I can't spoil my family's holiday so theythink I have a tummy bug but I know it's the panic attacks back.Can't wait to be safely home, Bev

lucy0927
11-07-07, 14:28
Hi Bev,

Well done for making it over there :hugs: - you did so well getting there in the first place, try to use that strength to get yourself back.

Try to enjoy yourself and put it as much out of your mind as possible (I know it's hard) but think, once you're back at home that's it you did it, hopefully the sense of achievement you should feel may help build on future successes.

Hope you're having a lovely holiday (not counting the anxiety!!) :)

Lucy xx

bubbleblitt
12-07-07, 19:29
quick update-flew home last night, two weeks early.Just couldn't cope with the build up of panic about coming home.I'm tired but so relieved to be back

bubbleblitt
23-07-07, 00:37
feel loads better now-no more panic since I've been back.Many thanks to all of you who sent messages and posted here with your kind words and support