PDA

View Full Version : cancer anxiety after several tests negative

exbenzo
02-12-17, 02:12
Hey guys, I need your help again. I had endoscopy (April), colonoscopy (September), some blood tests (in between), some ultrasounds (in between), CT scan (June). Overall, besides colitis and GERD (I'm sure mine is LPR / silent reflux), there were no other worrying results came out from those tests.

Now I'm anxious again having experiencing a slight warm feel in the stomach, tingling in the back, black stool (I'm sure not from food), constipation, recurring GERD and my unsolved weight loss (although I know my diet change has also a hand on this). You know, reading about stomach cancer, although I also read about stomach ulcer which has interchangeable symptoms, more to the burning feeling, etc., and also H. Pylori.

So I'm wondering, can cancer go undiagnosed even with all those tests - or - can it really grow in such short amount of time (about six months)? I know anxiety also plays a huge role here.

I've just been to my GI doc and waiting for my 2nd endoscopy. So while I'm waiting my upcoming scope, could you guys help me ease my anxiety a bit? It's not like that I keep complaining without having myself checked to the doctor - so could you help me on this - especially to those who had experienced this.

Thanks a lot.

Fishmanpa
02-12-17, 02:46
So I'm wondering, can cancer go undiagnosed even with all those tests - or - can it really grow in such short amount of time (about six months)?

Let's put it this way... I don't think we'll be reading about your case in the Daily Mail ;)

Positive thoughts

exbenzo
02-12-17, 02:57
Hello Fishmanpa, could you elaborate what you mean? Sorry because English is not my main language. Thanks.

Fishmanpa
02-12-17, 03:08
Hello Fishmanpa, could you elaborate what you mean? Sorry because English is not my main language. Thanks.

The Daily Mail is a gossip and scare mongering news agency that reports on crazy rare events and soap opera drama. It uses them as scare mongering and BS stories tactics that help sell the advertising and readers. Basically a lot of BS with a few facts thrown in for validity. Think of it like the British Version of The National Enquirer.

Positive thoughts

exbenzo
02-12-17, 03:46
Aha! Now I get it! Thanks, Fishmanpa! I'd also like to thank you for being a senior member (besides one of the real life case cancer survivors here) who answers frequently to members. I often read your helpful posts even though in the thread that I didn't have any post in there, and it helps me a lot (although I know that this too, is a form of reassurance. I know I have to keep improving myself on this).

All the best.

poppy77
02-12-17, 09:24
Colitis can cause a bit of bleeding can it not? I don't think you've anything to worry about. You've can two of the most invasive diagnostic tests, ultrasounds and blood tests and nothing was found. For something like stomach cancer, it would usually be very far progressed to cause any symptoms (that's why it's usually diagnosed in later stages)and usually is slow growing and and if you had these tests done thisyear, it would have definitely shown up to cause noticeable symptoms.

If you have had a blood in your poo, again probably not blood but down to food. However, if it is blood, you've been diagnosed with colitis, which I'm sure can cause bleeding.

However, if this is the case, you're going to the Dr and getting another endoscopy, so this should reassure you and they can advise if colitis is playing up.

exbenzo
02-12-17, 09:41
Colitis can cause a bit of bleeding can it not? I don't think you've anything to worry about. You've can two of the most invasive diagnostic tests, ultrasounds and blood tests and nothing was found. For something like stomach cancer, it would usually be very far progressed to cause any symptoms (that's why it's usually diagnosed in later stages)and usually is slow growing and and if you had these tests done thisyear, it would have definitely shown up to cause noticeable symptoms.

If you have had a blood in your poo, again probably not blood but down to food. However, if it is blood, you've been diagnosed with colitis, which I'm sure can cause bleeding.

However, if this is the case, you're going to the Dr and getting another endoscopy, so this should reassure you and they can advise if colitis is playing up.

Thanks, poppy77!

My colitis is more to the rectum area, so I experience constipation rather than diarrhea. Also, from what I read the red stool can mean blood but in the lower intestine area (as opposed to the black), so I think I would be more fit if I got the red one if indeed this was from my colitis. But again, I suspect stomach ulcer (because of my warm sensation, although not to the point of excrutiating pain) or even Crohn's, I don't know yet, I just hope in my upcoming 2nd endoscopy, nothing really serious will come out. Thanks again!

poppy77
02-12-17, 13:38
I would think blood tests would indicate blood loss through abnormalities in the result such as low red blood cell count/anaemia. I'm sure you've nothing to worry about but your Dr and up coming endoscopy should put your mind at rest.

You've mentioned GERD - are you on any medication for it like a PPI (Esomeprazole/lanzaprazole/omneprazole)? If so, has this improved your symptoms at all? I have a small hiatus hernia caused by three pregnancies with big babies! This causes a bit of acid reflux causing mainly LPR symptoms but occasional nausea as well. I'd love to completely get rid of it!

exbenzo
02-12-17, 14:51
I would think blood tests would indicate blood loss through abnormalities in the result such as low red blood cell count/anaemia. I'm sure you've nothing to worry about but your Dr and up coming endoscopy should put your mind at rest.

You've mentioned GERD - are you on any medication for it like a PPI (Esomeprazole/lanzaprazole/omneprazole)? If so, has this improved your symptoms at all? I have a small hiatus hernia caused by three pregnancies with big babies! This causes a bit of acid reflux causing mainly LPR symptoms but occasional nausea as well. I'd love to completely get rid of it!

Yeah I have GERD which I suspect more as LPR from many of my symptoms. Have you checked Dr. Jamie Koufman? She's very well known in LPR, I think. By reading Fishmanpa's posts, I incorporated low FODMAP diet as well besides watching out my suspected histamine intolerance, along with other lifestyle change, including not drinking too much water during meal, give it a space 30 minutes or so.

As far as I know, any meds that supress the acid can make the gallbladder sluggish. PPIs are too strong for me in this regard. Meanwhile the less powerful H2 Blocker meds give me allergy, so my only choice is the least effective here, the antacids (which is fine by me since I don't want my stomach acid to be significantly reduced - I don't like its long term effects). Even so my gallbladder oftentimes feel tight, so I have to keep an eye on this matter.

Sometimes ny GERD / LPR reduced tremendously, which I hope mine is more likely due to stomach problem, or bacterial imbalance or something like that so if that is the case then hopefully it will be easy to fix.

I hope you can solve your LPR soon as well.