PDA

View Full Version : TO ask when/what started your health anxiety??

bingjam
03-12-17, 19:53
Ok not sure f a thread like This has been made before but I’m curious about how it started for other people

I remember being about 8/9 and learning that when people have cancer get loose their hair. So I was washing my hair and I remember having hair come out when I washed in my hands and freaking out thinking that I must have cancer. (Didn’t realise it was a side effect of chemo at the time)

I think That’s when it started for me. Obviously not as bad then as it is now as I went years with nothing until I started high school around year 7 time and someone told me about breast cancer and I had a mark on my breast and told myself I had it and the rest is history.

Wounder why it happens to some people but not others?

Pandarug
03-12-17, 20:32
I remember being in first grade and we had to watch a video on cancer. I had the same hair panic too. I also remember sitting in the dingy gym and looking yellow and thinking something was wrong with my liver.

Darwin73
03-12-17, 20:48
When I was 3. I was playing in the hallway and my mum stepped over me carrrying a fan heater and accidentally dropped the plug on my head. I know this sounds weird, but directly after that I got a sore throat (the first ever that I can recall) and I felt utterly panicked by this new sensation.

emmegee
03-12-17, 22:33
Ok not sure f a thread like This has been made before but I’m curious about how it started for other people

I remember being about 8/9 and learning that when people have cancer get loose their hair. So I was washing my hair and I remember having hair come out when I washed in my hands and freaking out thinking that I must have cancer. (Didn’t realise it was a side effect of chemo at the time)

I think That’s when it started for me. Obviously not as bad then as it is now as I went years with nothing until I started high school around year 7 time and someone told me about breast cancer and I had a mark on my breast and told myself I had it and the rest is history.

Wounder why it happens to some people but not others?

Sounds the same for me... probably 7 or 8 years old... but didn't recognize it at the time as health anxiety. Learning about scary cancer and death frightened me. My episodes last a couple months with crippling anxiety over my fear and the anxiety itself taking over. I have continued to have episodes every few years ever since.

Weasley123
03-12-17, 22:36
I've always been anxious HA started for me at 36. I felt old and my coworkers wife died of cancer I became convinced I had it. I'll ge 40 in march. I'm married no kids by choice and I'm very scared as husband and I enter middle age. I feel so old and like our times running out

CHELLEB1017
03-12-17, 23:27
I'm 2015 I became pregnant with my second son and had a health scare. My chin went numb and I got on Google and of course cancer came up. Went to dentist and a shadow was seen on my X-ray so was referred to an oral surgeon and he said I had a large cystic structure in my jaw and did a biopsy. During this time my grandmas melanoma came back and spread to her brain and my great aunts breast cancer came back and also spread to her brain. My biopsy was benign and it turns out I had a large odontogentic keratocyst which ate through some of my jaw bone. My surgeon put a tube in my jaw to shrink the cyst since I couldn't t be put under ga until after I had my son. My grandma and aunt both passed away before I had my son. I ended up getting my cyst out and thought it would all go back to normal. I think being pregnant the cyst and my grandma and aunt passing all at the same time just took its toll on me. I realized one day I will die and honestly I thought I was invincible. I was your popular, outgoing, outspoken, badass, party chic and then bam life smacks me in the face and now I'm petrified of everything! Ugh I do good for the most part but once every other month something flares up and I think I'm biting it!

RJJones
03-12-17, 23:56
Its good to read others stories, great topic!

My life was great 20 years ago until i smoked marijuana for a year. The marijuana must have set off something in my nervous system. From that moment onward, 20 years of dizziness, anxiety and panic attacks. After 15 years i was actually starting to feel a tiny bit better, like still dizzy etc, but eased a bit. Till a few months ago when i had high blood pressure. Now my anxiety is back in full force again, but for some reason it seems different. Its like a new type of anxiety. Panic attacks are the same though lol. Thanks for letting me read your stories guys. Cheers.

Leslie735
04-12-17, 00:15
I've always been a "worrier" but not always with health related things. It mostly started in my teens (I'm 33 now) with OCD compulsions. Then in my very early 20s I had my first bout of health anxiety when I had some bleeding after a bowel movement. The anxiety was there but it didn't disrupt my life. When I was 24 I became obsessed with my heart and chest pains. Again, I had the fear and anxiety but I was able to carry on with my life. It was more like background noise. Then in my mid 20s until about the time I turned 30 I had an intense fear of vomiting. It was so bad I would wash my hands until they were raw and red. I would bleach things in my house daily and was afraid of being in public. Then when I was 31 I had my first breast scare and ever since then its one scare after another and they take over my brain and my life. I just recently started taking steps to work on my anxiety. I saw my primary dr. and had a check up and full panel of blood work done. Found out I'm low in B12 so I started supplements and injections and I believe it has helped. I also went gluten free about a month ago and have noticed some positive changes there too.