PDA

View Full Version : Scared I've damaged my brain

Mountains_Lakes
04-12-17, 16:38
I was in the gym a fortnight ago and dropped weights on the floor from a seated position, some of the vibration came back up through me and felt my brain rattle a tiny bit.

Since then I've been experiencing intense anxiety about concussion and mild brain injury.

I've been to my GP several times about this since (they even sent me to the hospital at one point).

The GP firmly believes its my anxiety and depression, which they have signed me off sick for - but I'm so convinced otherwise because of my symptoms (brain fog, bad memory, disorientation, clumsiness).

Can anyone offer some perspective/reassurance?

Elen
04-12-17, 16:46
Try looking at the symptoms page on the main forum as this should show you that what you are experiencing can indeed be caused by anxiety.

The vibration you felt could in no way damage your brain.

Juustopallo
04-12-17, 17:41
We all feel all kinds of weird sensations, feelings and even perceptions all the time. Normally we just forget about them in a short time. It doesn't matter what was the cause of your sensation. What matters is to move on with your life. "I might have a brain damage but that's okay. I'll deal with the consequences when it's time to. Now I'll focus on doing the usual stuff even with this scary thought in my head". Trying to wrestle with the possibility just makes the obsession worse. Accept tye uncertainty and keep doing what's really important even while experiencing that uncertainty. Soon you'll realize you've had hours, days and even weeks without thinking about your problem. And it starts to sound funny you even thought about it so much in the first place.

Fishmanpa
04-12-17, 18:31
Try looking at the symptoms page on the main forum as this should show you that what you are experiencing can indeed be caused by anxiety.

The vibration you felt could in no way damage your brain.

Exactly... But I believe you know this deep down.

Positive thoughts

venusbluejeans
04-12-17, 19:35
If we got head injurys from the way you are describing then everybody would be brain damaged....

Driving cars going over pot holes especially in this country would cause more vibration. Builders using Pneumatic drills, horse riders.... etc etc etc even walking causes that sort of vibration.... yet we aren't brain damaged from it.

Mountains_Lakes
04-12-17, 20:17
I really appreciate everyone's input and part of me knows that I'm reassurring seeking now, but when I did drop the weights I still partially had hold of them to prevent them bouncing round (stupid I know), so I did absorb some of that impact and felt it rattle my brain - its this that is making me think i've inflicted a whiplash injury on myself.

On the other hand, this year has been horrible in terms of traumatic life events and I am aware this could clinical depression due to extreme stress and anxiety - for which I was prescribed Sertraline 50mg 2 weeks ago

MyNameIsTerry
05-12-17, 01:57
If you bounced the weight off the floor you will have received some recoil from the impact as you mention. But if that force was dangerous how could anyone life weights? Weights get bounced all the time, even extreme levels if weight when you consider strongmen comps.

If that level of vibration was dangerous to the brain, car crashes would be far worse and what about earthquakes?