PDA

View Full Version : Long-term generalised anxiety caused by Prozac

Melchior
06-12-17, 01:58
Hi everyone,

I've been reading these forums for a while and wanted to share my experience with Prozac...and possibly meet someone with a similar experience.

I started Prozac in January 2016 (almost 1 year ago) for clinical depression, which I have had since late teens (age 33 at present).

Having previously tolerated Cymbalta I wasn't concerned about taking Prozac.

The first week (20mg - never went higher) was fine. But in the 2nd week anxiety started to occur, something I have never, ever had trouble with before. This continued, my GP suggested increasing to 40mg or just waiting it out, as side effects are normal in the beginning stage.

I opted to wait it out, without any anxiety medication being prescribed, but by week 5 I quit because I was having daily panic attacks (never had one before this time).

Since then I have had terrible anxiety all the time. I can only attribute it to the Prozac. It is gradually getting better, but seems to have hit a plateau of low-medium general anxiety every day. The regular panic attacks lasted about 3-4 months now they are maybe 1-2 times a month.

I have basically overcome the depression by with Tryptophan, healthy diet, exercise and significantly reducing alcohol. But I still have anxiety that started with the Prozac. (Wish i had tried something else first, if I could be this way without the anxiety it would be perfect).

I am now concerned that this level of general anxiety is my new 'normal' and I will never get better. I am seeing a therapist for CBT, learning about mindfulness meditation and continuing to improve my overall health. However doctors can only suggest SSRI treatments, which I am now scared of or Seroquel (25mg) for attacks, which does work but puts me to sleep within 3-4 hours, even when I halve the tablet so can only be taken at night. (Doctors where I am RARELY prescribe benzo type meds).

Honestly don't feel like I can live the rest of my life feeling this way. I actually think I was better off with the depression.

Anyway, just hoping someone has some insights, maybe a similar experience. I know we all experience SSRI meds differently, so I don't want to scare anyone off of Prozac, but I think it is important to know possible side effects too.

Thanks for reading

- Richard