PDA

View Full Version : Christmas and health anxiety

Liziik
08-12-17, 00:09
Hello!
So Christmas meant to be a time to be happy enjoy family and good times. But when it comes to health anxiety why is my mind trying to find things wrong! Like it doesn't want me to have a good time and enjoy the festive season!
I'm sure some of you feel the same too!
At the moment I recently had to have two dental implants, the procedure wasn't as straight forward as it could have been but it got finished in the end! and the last few days I've been having bleeding gums around them and it's just freaking me out! Baring in mind I've had the implants since September and there hasn't been a problem. I guess I'm just scared of getting ill over Christmas. And all I want to do it try and enjoy myself but right now I feel like that isn't going to happen and if I don't get ill I'm just going to spend my time worrying about getting ill 🙄
Argh guess I just needed a little rant!

MoleHill
08-12-17, 01:36
I am the same way. Any time an important event is coming up that I want to enjoy, I self sabotage with ha.

lyndau63
08-12-17, 07:08
Me too. I am always worse before something exciting, especially Christmas. At the moment I am sitting here worrying about pancreas. 5hus week I have imagined three different types of cancer. Well, I hope I am imagining! I definitely have pain at the moment but had just cheered up because I hadn't felt it for a couple of days and then back it came. I have been up since 2.30 am because my father called to say he was waiting for an ambulance for my mother. I have been sitting with them for four hours waiting and now trying to get a bit of rest before following them to the hospital and then get back in time to fetch grandchildren for the morning. Sorry, didn't mean to make this about me but I know just how you feel.:hugs:

Blonde123
08-12-17, 07:56
Me too. I seem to measure my life expectancy against an event. So it’s like if I make it to Christmas or that birthday etc. It’s bonkers but you can’t help how you feel. I’m so glad my kids aren’t little anymore because I’m totally unfestive this year and although I’m organised I can’t be bothered with Christmas this year!

Tiatyrah
13-12-17, 10:53
I'm the same. Trying my best to enjoy Christmas and the days before it (presents etc), but it's hard to do so. Last year I said to myself, "if I make it to next Christmas (so this year), I had to stop worrying about cancer because lymphoma would definitely show something in a year.." But, now that it's almost Christmas time, I start to notice that I'm still scared of having lymphoma because I can feel my nodes in my neck and collarbone. This wont stop..

BrokenGirl
13-12-17, 11:39
Just want to say I totally agree with everyone above. I'm wrapping the children's xmas presents this morning while they are at school and I just feel totally miserable. My HA has spiraled these last few months and it's currently breast cancer. I even posted in the female forum but no replies, which makes me freak out even more because now I'm thinking my symptom isn't normal or I would have got replies telling me it was ok, so must be something serious.
I used to love Christmas so much - I'd give anything to feel that way again :weep:

Rhiannon.
13-12-17, 11:53
Christmas is the worst time for me too!

I believe that my body is misinterpreting my excitement as anxiety

snowflake293
13-12-17, 12:38
I am exactly the same. My health anxiety started in December 3 years ago. I think the pressure of being 'happy' at Christmas time makes it worse! At the moment I am worrying over a mole I picked on my arm, and some self-harm scars on my leg, and my acid reflux and my breasts (always worrying I will find a lump!)

My parents are moving house over Christmas too which is making it even more stressful and on top of all that I am recovering from a breakdown and trying to stop drinking.

My husband left for work today (I am signed off sick) and I just feel totally lost.

I guess the good thing about Christmas and health anxiety though is the distractions. Even silly things like putting the tree up, making mince pies etc... little things like that do take my mind off the worries. It is hard to get out of the slump though once you are in it.

It is interesting what you say about your body misinterpreting excitement as anxiety, I think there is an element of that in it too.

Hope you feel better soon, always here if you need to talk :)

Leslie735
13-12-17, 13:32
Just want to say I totally agree with everyone above. I'm wrapping the children's xmas presents this morning while they are at school and I just feel totally miserable. My HA has spiraled these last few months and it's currently breast cancer. I even posted in the female forum but no replies, which makes me freak out even more because now I'm thinking my symptom isn't normal or I would have got replies telling me it was ok, so must be something serious.
I used to love Christmas so much - I'd give anything to feel that way again :weep:

I replied to your thread this morning. ;) I know how you feel though, I do the same thing when I don't get replies, I immediately assume that it must mean its bad. *hugs* :hugs:

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:28 ----------

Yes, yes, YES!!!! I LOVE Christmas and look forward to it every year but with anxiety it makes it SO difficult to even try and enjoy it. I'm so afraid something is going to ruin it and I'll spend it worrying myself or waiting on test results or worse. Four years ago, 12/12/13, is when my HA really took off. I came down with, what I thought, was a UTI. It wasn't and I learned about interstitial cystis. That sent me down the HA path and I haven't left it since. I have since moved on from that fear but I've had loads others. It seems my breasts are my biggest HA fear.

oxoshannon
13-12-17, 14:41
I always get so anxious over Christmas, has happened for years and years and I just hope this year I will enjoy myself. I think the feeling of lots of things happening, the lack of structure and routine always messes with me over Christmas. However, positive thoughts and I am hopeful we will all give ourselves that little break we need to enjoy the season and feel the love and happiness around us!

Blonde123
13-12-17, 15:22
Lack of structure and normality is why I hate holiday of any sort. I have to go to Spain in January and I'll be anxious as hell. I'm trying to be super organised and then there's no surprises or last minute rushing about to do.

oxoshannon
13-12-17, 18:57
Lack of structure and normality is why I hate holiday of any sort. I have to go to Spain in January and I'll be anxious as hell. I'm trying to be super organised and then there's no surprises or last minute rushing about to do.

Totally the same! Not only does it occur with big things like Christmas, holidays, etc. But even on my days off from work, my routine of work goes out of the window and my anxiety levels are sky high. I need to learn how to really occupy myself on the days off

melfish
13-12-17, 19:48
Lack of structure and normality is why I hate holiday of any sort. I have to go to Spain in January and I'll be anxious as hell.

Me too! I pretend to myself that I hate routine, but the moment it's gone, my anxiety skyrockets. Holidays are hell. I went on a four-week trip to France early this year (before my HA came back) and I was anxious the whole time. Even though I had NOTHING to be anxious about. I kick myself now for taking those carefree days for granted :weep:

Blonde123
14-12-17, 16:22
I'm the same mel. Even if I don't have any symptoms I'm still anxious. I think I'm turning into a complete fruitcake, I'm worrying about worrying about going on holiday in a months time! I'll be knackered at this rate haha. I'm seeing a private therapist so I'm hoping she will help me out. That and my vitamins which I'm popping at the minute :D

---------- Post added at 16:22 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

I always get so anxious over Christmas, has happened for years and years and I just hope this year I will enjoy myself. I think the feeling of lots of things happening, the lack of structure and routine always messes with me over Christmas. However, positive thoughts and I am hopeful we will all give ourselves that little break we need to enjoy the season and feel the love and happiness around us!

Positive thought back atchya! :hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
14-12-17, 17:46
I'm the same with routine, although I'm better than I was. .I used to be terrified by a change in my daily routine because ay my worst I slowly clawed myself out of sitting all day terrified into daily tasks. Those tasks became my compulsion.

I took healthy walking activity into a demand by my fear to do them. You would see me our walking on Xmas day some years, I would get stopped by the police wondering why I was doing my usual backstreet or industrial area walks!

Beware of this. It may be necessary to pull yourself out of the worst but if you find yourself unable to sit with your anxiety, it's a negative, even if it's healthy behaviour as walking was for me. It holds you back, it's just another cell in the anxiety prison.