PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the first person here to correctly diagnose myself

ariana95
09-12-17, 17:13
I began getting numb patches on my back 7 months ago. Last week more appeared along with dizziness and weakness on my right side. I suspected MS from the minute my back went numb but doctors told me to put it out of my mind.

Now they think that not only is it possible that i have MS but that it could be PPMS - the worst type. I'm only 22, I feel as though my life has been robbed from me. I want to scream and cry and be sick every second of the day. Im having an MRI soon which I pray will be okay by some way of a miracle.

I don't know what to do, I feel like my life is over.

My advice to everyone here is to make the most of everyday and try not to worry about illness because when you have one you will know about it.

:weep::weep: Don't see the point anymore

God help me

Fishmanpa
09-12-17, 17:19
In a post you made on Monday you said:

Today I saw my doctor who said that I don't fit the criteria for RRMS which made me think she suspected PPMS and that made me panic. However, I don't think she suspects any type of MS at all. She has no idea what is causing my numb spots so she's sending me to a neurologist to be sure. I hope it's just a terrible case of anxiety. She said she couldn't feel the weakness I mentioned but I still feel it now. Funnily enough she told me that her foot used to buzz and she was convinced she had MS, turns out she obviously didn't

What has happened since then? Did you see the neurologist?

Positive thoughts

ariana95
09-12-17, 17:26
I paid to see a private neurologist and he said that my symptoms are consistent with PPMS rather than RRMS which is what all my doctors have been thinking of when they say I don't have MS. He has referred me for an MRI which I should be getting soon but I don't know if I even want to know. He said there was weakness in my right arm and leg and because I've had spreading numbness with no relapses that's also not a good sign.

I'm so upset and really don't want anyone telling me it's just anxiety because I've finally found a doctor who is listening to me. I just feel robbed. I'd rather die than suffer through years of this. I wanted to graduate and have kids, my boyfriend will find someone new.

RRMS would have been bad enough, but PPMS?! I'm too young. I feel like i Can't breathe

Fishmanpa
09-12-17, 17:40
Until they say you have it, you don't. Even if it turns out to be, it's not a death sentence, can be managed with medication and your life expectancy is actually no different than anyone else.

Positive thoughts

ariana95
09-12-17, 17:53
Until they say you have it, you don't. Even if it turns out to be, it's not a death sentence, can be managed with medication and your life expectancy is actually no different than anyone else.

Positive thoughts

There is no treatment for PPMS, just a slow and steady decline. For some people it takes decades, for others only a year before they can't walk. My neurologist said he strongly suspects it as he doesn't know of anything else it could be. I wish you could all feel how I feel in mown body right now. I can't walk without wobbling and i'm so dizzy and heavy on one side. It gets worse everyday :weep:

O_O
09-12-17, 19:14
Oh gosh Ariana I'm so sorry. You must be terrified. I know it doesn't help saying "you don't know for sure yet" but I do really really hope your MRI comes back clear. You don't have a definitive diagnosis yet. I know you may not want to give yourself any false hope though.

We'll all be thinking about you.

ariana95
09-12-17, 19:34
Oh gosh Ariana I'm so sorry. You must be terrified. I know it doesn't help saying "you don't know for sure yet" but I do really really hope your MRI comes back clear. You don't have a definitive diagnosis yet. I know you may not want to give yourself any false hope though.

We'll all be thinking about you.

Thank you so much :weep: i feel so silly for all the times I've worried about my health when there was nothing wrong with me. I'm trying to be hopeful but my neurologist gave me the shock of my life. He was very honest which I appreciate, hopefully I'll at least be given a diagnosis of RRMS but I can't see that happening:weep:

jojo2316
09-12-17, 19:44
PPMS is the rarest form of MS and it is generally diagnosed in people much older than you.
If it turns out you do have it, it will be a game changer but your life will NOT be over. There are so many people - and people I know - living happy and fulfilling lives with PPMS. It often progresses very slowly.
But let's hope for the best. Did your neurologist know you suffer from anxiety? I read a book recently by a neurologist about how the most severe neurological symptoms (complete paralysis and blindness) can have psychosomatic causes. Not saying that's you, but don't jump to conclusions just yet. Good luck!

cattia
09-12-17, 20:00
When he said he didn't know anything else that could possibly cause it, it makes me wonder as we all know tjat anxiety can cause physical symptoms. I'm not saying that your neurologist was wrong or that you don't have MS, but if he is just diagnosing you based on the fact that there is no other cause for your symptoms then he is missing the psychological factors. I know we would all be feeling very scared and alone in your situation, but try aa much as you can not to jump to the worst conclusion until you've had the MRI and you know for sure what you're dealing with.

tan235
09-12-17, 20:30
I had my Dr tell me I had a neurological condition and after testing she was wrong, they are not always right and they go by text book, I am not doubting that your symptoms are real, and possible it is MS - who am I to say otherwise but like Fishmapa says - till you've been diagnosed it's nothing - not a direct quote.

Deep breathes, people live with MS and the PPMS form.

Primary progressive multiple sclerosis (PPMS) is a relatively slow and steady disease. And many people live with it for years without severe disability. - taken from site.
I've also read all the symptoms and I get them too - I get pins and needles in my body, my toes go number which is super weird, I get numb patches as well, did the neurologist do an actual exam??

xo Keep us informed.

melfish
09-12-17, 20:31
It can take two or three years to diagnose PPMS. There are very strict criteria to be met, including brain and spinal lesions. You are very far from a diagnosis. I hope your upcoming tests are clear.

FamilyPicnic
09-12-17, 21:21
Hi - I'm sorry that you are going through such a scare right now. Doctors often have a way of saying things that can be interpreted in so many different ways and we often don't hear exactly what they mean. For him to say he strongly suspects ms because he doesn't know what else it could be might mean . . . hmmm, I'm stumped, I've never seen symptoms like this, I suppose it could be ms or it could be anxiety or the patient might be fixating on one little symptom that means nothing. I'm going to take my best guess and that's ms because there's an easy test to rule this out.

I've been having unusual and distressing neurological symptoms for two years and the doctors haven't been able to figure it out. Neurologist thought I had parkinson's or myasthenia gravis (sp?) but tests ruled those out. Another doctor thinks I have MS despite a clean MRI for "someone my age" (gotta love those last 3 words).

Is your MRI scheduled yet? Try to remember that just because the doctor is referring you for an MRI doesn't mean he thinks you have MS, more likely because it's an easy way to rule out what he thinks is a slim possibility.

ariana95
09-12-17, 22:43
He said he could feel the weakness in my limbs and that the numb patches would be long gone if they were anxiety. I also have terrible balance, the fact that my symptoms have been getting worse for 7 months without a break is what's pointing to PPMS

swajj
09-12-17, 23:13
If you do have MS you will deal with it. I think you will deal with having it a lot better than you are dealing with the fear of having it. If your boyfriend leaves you because of it then he was the wrong guy for you anyway.

tan235
10-12-17, 00:08
Yeah look I'll be honest, MS is probably the one I don't fear. Out of all the neurological disorders this is the one I'd have if I had to have one. There is so much you can do and Dr's can do to help you through this IF it is that.
Are you close to your family can you talk to them?

tryingtosurvive1
10-12-17, 02:08
I have an hereditary neuropathy called Charcot Marie Tooth that causes numbness and some clinical weakness. Unlike PPMS there's a clear pattern of muscle wasting below the knees and the central nervous system isn't involved. Make sure to get a nerve conduction study/EMG to make sure you don't have something in this family. They have a different course than PPMS.

Keep posting here, but also there's an MS board on reddit that can give you guidance as well.

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

also please seek emotional support. I got a therapist just to cope with the diagnosis process. I thought at times I didn't want to live but I'm now 1.5 years past the day I was diagnosed and dealing. And that's *if* you have something. xoxoxo

ariana95
10-12-17, 09:14
I have an hereditary neuropathy called Charcot Marie Tooth that causes numbness and some clinical weakness. Unlike PPMS there's a clear pattern of muscle wasting below the knees and the central nervous system isn't involved. Make sure to get a nerve conduction study/EMG to make sure you don't have something in this family. They have a different course than PPMS.

Keep posting here, but also there's an MS board on reddit that can give you guidance as well.

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

also please seek emotional support. I got a therapist just to cope with the diagnosis process. I thought at times I didn't want to live but I'm now 1.5 years past the day I was diagnosed and dealing. And that's *if* you have something. xoxoxo

Thank you, I will be sure to do all of that xx

---------- Post added at 09:14 ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 ----------

Yeah look I'll be honest, MS is probably the one I don't fear. Out of all the neurological disorders this is the one I'd have if I had to have one. There is so much you can do and Dr's can do to help you through this IF it is that.
Are you close to your family can you talk to them?

Yes but my symptoms point to PPMS. There is NOTHING you can do for that. If I had RRMS I would truly be over the moon right now. They have DMDs and Stem cell transplants.

AntsyVee
10-12-17, 11:28
It can take two or three years to diagnose PPMS. There are very strict criteria to be met, including brain and spinal lesions. You are very far from a diagnosis. I hope your upcoming tests are clear.

Exactly.

ariana95
10-12-17, 13:11
I really don't understand why people are trying to disprove me on this. My dr said I have all of the classical symptoms and the fact that they've been ongoing for 7 months (which is recorded by my GP) is also in favour of such a diagnosis. He said the only other explanation could just be that it is "just one of those things" where the body malfunctions for no reason but that is very uncommon (so is PPMS at 22 I said). I'm praying there's nothing wrong but I really can't see that happening. People on here get all kinds of sympathy when they're frightened of MS because they wake up with a numb hand after having slept on it funny. Whereas here I am with a genuine concern and there are people who think I'm being dramatic. Some site this is

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

Why should "being far from diagnosis" make this any less worrying? I'm living with these symptoms everyday

Annaboodle
10-12-17, 13:27
Hi. I just caught up with this thread. I don't see where anyone has called you "dramatic", and what you're saying about other people getting sympathy for what you maybe see as nothing - "a numb hand"- is offensive to other posters here who are suffering from health anxiety. This is a board for people to support each other with their health anxiety and HA is very much a "genuine concern".

AntsyVee
10-12-17, 18:51
I’m not trying to disprove you. I’m trying to stop you from catastophizing as you were doing earlier. There is no reason to go down the road of despair until you know exactly what you’re dealing with. You have to stay positive.

Potter86
10-12-17, 19:51
I really don't understand why people are trying to disprove me on this. My dr said I have all of the classical symptoms and the fact that they've been ongoing for 7 months (which is recorded by my GP) is also in favour of such a diagnosis. He said the only other explanation could just be that it is "just one of those things" where the body malfunctions for no reason but that is very uncommon (so is PPMS at 22 I said). I'm praying there's nothing wrong but I really can't see that happening. People on here get all kinds of sympathy when they're frightened of MS because they wake up with a numb hand after having slept on it funny. Whereas here I am with a genuine concern and there are people who think I'm being dramatic. Some site this is

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

Why should "being far from diagnosis" make this any less worrying? I'm living with these symptoms everyday
Hang on no one on here has said your being dramatic people are trying to comfort you and make you feel positive i understand your worried about ms as am i thats the thing that i think i have aswell but theres no need to be arsy with people on here who are trying to give you advice

ariana95
10-12-17, 23:33
I'm really not. I'm just sick of people telling me it's fine when I know it's not and my doctors know it's not. If it's not MS it's something bad

FamilyPicnic
11-12-17, 00:33
Ariana - I truly apologize, I didn't mean to sound dismissive of your symptoms. Whatever you are going through right now is understandably very concerning to you. I think any of us would panic if our doctor said to us what yours said to you.

I just did a little googling on PPMS as I'm not very familiar with this particular form of MS. I probably didn't find anything out that you haven't already seen though a couple things did stand out. The first being your age, it's extremely unlikely for someone to have it at the young age of 22. The second thing is that you must have a year of progressively worsening symptoms. That's a full year, not seven months.

I know when I am thinking I have some dreaded disease I try to find some ray of hope and I'm trying to offer you a bit of that as I believe others are. There are other symptoms that go along with PPMS that you didn't mention. And as your doctor said it might just be one of those things that happen for no reason. And that isn't at all that uncommon as lots here can attest to.

I know I often convince myself I have the worst case scenario to "prepare" myself for the diagnosis. That way when I'm told I have cancer, ALS, heart disease or whatever I can be prepared. And I get muffed at people who try to tell me I don't have what I think I do and I'm perfectly healthy so I can understand why you say what you did.

I'm praying for peace in your heart as you wait for the next step towards your diagnosis.

tryingtosurvive1
11-12-17, 03:21
I am sorry if anyone has tried to invalidate you. Try to stay realistic-you may have something but you may not. You *cannot* diagnose yourself. You have to get tests and let the doctors do it for you. I had never heard of CMT before--it was not on my mind as the most likely possibility. Your doctor said something was "possible" but he didn't give you a diagnosis. Please hang in there and wait.

ariana95
11-12-17, 08:18
Sorry everyone I'm just frightened out of my mind. The thought of a steady decline makes me want to kill myself. How has this happened to me. I'm praying I get well soon

swajj
11-12-17, 09:22
Well I figured you didn’t want people saying you don’t have it so I didn’t say that. I just said that you would probably deal with it better than you think. This is based on my own experiences. I have had a couple of “real” health scares this year, however, they did not turn out to be serious. I found I was quite calm throughout those periods. Unlike all the other times when it was all due to anxiety. I’m not sure what you want people to say.

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

If you asked me if I think your symptoms are due to anxiety then I would say almost certainly. Does that mean I don’t believe you have MS? No but you are on a health anxiety board and there must be a reason for that.

ariana95
11-12-17, 12:14
I wish my symptoms were due to anxiety. It's possible to have a health condition and anxiety at the same time. I just give up

angelasun
11-12-17, 16:42
How are you doing? I'm so sorry you have to go through this

ariana95
11-12-17, 21:25
How are you doing? I'm so sorry you have to go through this

I'm really scared :( my mum keeps shouting at me because I'm stressing her out and she thinks there's nothing wrong with me. I really hope there isn't or she'll feel so guilty

Fishmanpa
11-12-17, 21:32
So your Mom knows you were able to book a private appointment and the results of the exam? I ask because I would think she would be upset/concerned based on what you've said :huh:

Positive thoughts

ariana95
11-12-17, 21:37
So your Mom knows you were able to book a private appointment and the results of the exam? I ask because I would think she would be upset/concerned based on what you've said :huh:

Positive thoughts

She's already lost two kids, she's in denial and thinks I'm making it up so that I don't have to do my exams in university??? We have a difficult relationship. I hope you're not insinuating that I'm lying about my condition. I wish i were.

And of course she's upset, she handles her emotions terribly

Fishmanpa
11-12-17, 22:20
She's already lost two kids, she's in denial and thinks I'm making it up so that I don't have to do my exams in university??? We have a difficult relationship. I hope you're not insinuating that I'm lying about my condition. I wish i were.

And of course she's upset, she handles her emotions terribly

I'm sorry to hear that. Were these siblings? I understand you're deep into it and I get it as I'm a survivor and actually faced a diagnosis of cancer but I found it odd, based on what the doctor said, that she would act think and act this way. There's no need to be so defensive.

Good luck. I hope you get good news from the tests.

Positive thoughts

FamilyPicnic
12-12-17, 00:10
It's possible to have a health condition and anxiety at the same time.
Yes, unfortunately this is true.

ariana95
12-12-17, 10:18
at the minute I'm just trying to tell myself that it could be one of a thousand things

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 ----------

I'm sorry to hear that. Were these siblings? I understand you're deep into it and I get it as I'm a survivor and actually faced a diagnosis of cancer but I found it odd, based on what the doctor said, that she would act think and act this way. There's no need to be so defensive.

Good luck. I hope you get good news from the tests.

Positive thoughts

yes they were my brother and sister

miggymoggy
12-12-17, 16:22
Hiya. I just wanted to say even if you did have PPMS (which you still may not) my friend has it and was diagnosed over 10 years ago and hasn't really declined much at all in that time. She just has trouble with one leg but they give her something to sort that. It doesn't really affect her life at all and she still works as a hairdresser. Lots of love to you xxxxxxx

Potter86
12-12-17, 16:34
at the minute I'm just trying to tell myself that it could be one of a thousand things

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 ----------

yes they were my brother and sister

Thats terrible sorry to hear that snd fingers crossed you get some good news soon

Leslie735
12-12-17, 18:25
I'm really sorry to read this. I won't dimiss your fear at all, I know what its like to be terrified of something and its extremely scary. SO big *hugs* going out to you. I will also have you in my prayers. '

It may not mean anything at all, but I have a friend who was diagnosed back in 2004 with MS (she's about 37 years old so 24 when diagnosed) I have no idea what type of MS she has (I didn't realize there was types) but she is doing fantastic. You'd never know anything is going on. She leads a very normal life with a husband and 2 active boys. I also have another friend, her ex husband has MS and again, he leads a very normal life and as long as he has his medication he does great! I hope that gives you some hope at all. I'm so sorry you are going through this scare. Please keep us updated.

swgrl09
12-12-17, 18:42
Sending you support and positive thoughts at this time ... I can't imagine what it must be like and can completely understand why you'd be scared. You may surprise yourself once you have more solid information and a plan of treatment and may be stronger than you think. I am also truly sorry to hear that you lost your siblings ... cannot imagine that pain.:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Whyme07
12-12-17, 21:55
Big hugs

ariana95
13-12-17, 11:05
Thank you everyone, really appreciate all of those kind messages. I'm just going to stay positive no matter what and pray for some good news :) all is not lost

Leslie735
13-12-17, 13:33
Thank you everyone, really appreciate all of those kind messages. I'm just going to stay positive no matter what and pray for some good news :) all is not lost

I'm praying!!! Keep us updated. :hugs:

Colicab85
13-12-17, 14:59
Not being funny but people are being terrible here. A little more sympathetic language wouldn't go amiss.

Imagine it was you that had just had this news, while having health anxiety? why are a lot of you being awful?

Annaboodle
13-12-17, 15:54
Not being funny but people are being terrible here. A little more sympathetic language wouldn't go amiss.

Imagine it was you that had just had this news, while having health anxiety? why are a lot of you being awful?

I don't think that is true at all. People seem to me to be trying to help the OP to stay as positive as she can by focussing on the fact that she hasn't actually received any sort of diagnosis yet. Some have questioned whether she is therefore right to assume the worst - isn't that fair enough? When you have HA and are in a panic, as you know, it's easy to believe the absolute worst and our tendency to catastrophize takes over.

As Melfish said, it takes years to get a diagnosis for the form of MS the OP fears. It might well turn out to be caused by other things (as Adriana wrote, her doctor said, "the only other explanation could just be that it is "just one of those things" where the body malfunctions for no reason").

I think in her last few posts Adriana sounds more hopeful and optimistic, which is surely a good thing? Although the uncertainty is awful, it is surely better to focus on the fact that there isn't a diagnosis yet rather than worse case scenarios. If I was in this situation, I'd want to hear views that challenged my automatic HA-based assumption of the absolute worst that can happen.

AntsyVee
14-12-17, 04:09
I don't think that is true at all. People seem to me to be trying to help the OP to stay as positive as she can by focussing on the fact that she hasn't actually received any sort of diagnosis yet. Some have questioned whether she is therefore right to assume the worst - isn't that fair enough? When you have HA and are in a panic, as you know, it's easy to believe the absolute worst and our tendency to catastrophize takes over.

As Melfish said, it takes years to get a diagnosis for the form of MS the OP fears. It might well turn out to be caused by other things (as Adriana wrote, her doctor said, "the only other explanation could just be that it is "just one of those things" where the body malfunctions for no reason").

I think in her last few posts Adriana sounds more hopeful and optimistic, which is surely a good thing? Although the uncertainty is awful, it is surely better to focus on the fact that there isn't a diagnosis yet rather than worse case scenarios. If I was in this situation, I'd want to hear views that challenged my automatic HA-based assumption of the absolute worst that can happen.

Very well said.

Colicab85
14-12-17, 15:34

I dont disagree, maybe i overstated.

In my opinion, a small minority were being harsh.

ariana95
14-12-17, 19:34
I'm praying!!! Keep us updated. :hugs:

Thank you! I will :)

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

Thank you! They had a point about the lack of firm diagnosis but imagine your neuro telling you something like that?!

ariana95
16-12-17, 13:28
Just thought I would post an update. My weakness in the right side of my body is getting progressively worse, however, I just found out that I'm severely deficient in vitamin D. My neuro said that this does cause muscle weakness however, it normally affects all limbs, not just one or two. So we're still going ahead with an MRI on tuesday. The deficiency is either causing my symptoms or it's linked with MS. A lot of MS patients have a vitamin D deficiency. I'm praying for no lesions

swgrl09
16-12-17, 15:22
Hoping for the best for you ... please let us know how the MRI goes. It sounds like your neurologist is quite thorough and covering all the right bases. :hugs::hugs:

ariana95
16-12-17, 15:39
Hoping for the best for you ... please let us know how the MRI goes. It sounds like your neurologist is quite thorough and covering all the right bases. :hugs::hugs:

Thank you! I'm praying for good news. I'm feeling slightly more optimistic

EmmerLooeez
16-12-17, 15:42
I have no words of wisdom Ariana, but will be keeping an eye out for your results. Good luck lovely. Regardless of the diagnosis, I am so sorry you are going through this xx

ariana95
16-12-17, 15:59
I have no words of wisdom Ariana, but will be keeping an eye out for your results. Good luck lovely. Regardless of the diagnosis, I am so sorry you are going through this xx

Thank you so much, hopefully this will all just be a funny story to tell in a weeks time x

Fishmanpa
16-12-17, 16:13

Maybe the first person here to correctly diagnose myself

To answer your post title, no, you're not the first. In my time here on the boards, I know of two people that realized their worst fear and both are doing well. "Two". Think about that. Of the thousands of members and tens of thousands of threads... "two."

And an interesting thing happened with these two members. Their anxiety took a back seat while they dealt with things and has remained in the back seat ever since. At worst, you have a medical condition that can be treated. I have medical issues and side effects that I deal with every day. Not fun I can assure you but rarely does it stop me from living my life to the best of my ability.

I also know what it's like to be in limbo waiting for results. Been there done that a few times. I truly do sympathize with you on that. Regardless, you'll deal with the hand that's dealt and move forward from there. We really don't have any other choice do we? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Hypopotamus
16-12-17, 16:27
I am also sorry that you are going through this. I can only imagine what you are going through. I would just say that you don't have the MRI results yet, there is still a chance that it could be something else. Some symptoms are caused by anxiety, but all are amplified.
I am really hoping for you, and I hope the scan comes up good. But as other people said try to keep positive. Anxiety is something we all share here and it can run you down, it is hard, try to find the strength within to think positively..

We are thinking about you..

ariana95
16-12-17, 16:43
I am also sorry that you are going through this. I can only imagine what you are going through. I would just say that you don't have the MRI results yet, there is still a chance that it could be something else. Some symptoms are caused by anxiety, but all are amplified.
I am really hoping for you, and I hope the scan comes up good. But as other people said try to keep positive. Anxiety is something we all share here and it can run you down, it is hard, try to find the strength within to think positively..

We are thinking about you..

thanks very much, i'm trying my best!

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

Maybe the first person here to correctly diagnose myself

To answer your post title, no, you're not the first. In my time here on the boards, I know of two people that realized their worst fear and both are doing well. "Two". Think about that. Of the thousands of members and tens of thousands of threads... "two."

And an interesting thing happened with these two members. Their anxiety took a back seat while they dealt with things and has remained in the back seat ever since. At worst, you have a medical condition that can be treated. I have medical issues and side effects that I deal with every day. Not fun I can assure you but rarely does it stop me from living my life to the best of my ability.

I also know what it's like to be in limbo waiting for results. Been there done that a few times. I truly do sympathize with you on that. Regardless, you'll deal with the hand that's dealt and move forward from there. We really don't have any other choice do we? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

PPMS can't be treated... why do people keep saying this? I'm trying to remain positive

Fishmanpa
16-12-17, 17:02
PPMS can't be treated... why do people keep saying this? I'm trying to remain positive

True, MS in it's various forms can't be cured but there are treatments, meds and therapies that can help manage the symptoms. As has been said, diagnosis can take a long time (sometimes years) and this type of MS is very rarely found in people under 40. (thank's Dr. Google ;))

Positive thoughts

ariana95
19-12-17, 17:49
Went for my MRI today, praying that they find a cyst on my brain or ANYTHING that's not MS

Please keep me in your prayers x

swgrl09
19-12-17, 18:45
I'll be thinking of you and sending positive vibes your way. :hugs::hugs:

Leslie735
19-12-17, 18:46
Praying!!!!

ODA_555
19-12-17, 19:38
Went for my MRI today, praying that they find a cyst on my brain or ANYTHING that's not MS

Please keep me in your prayers x
I hope the results come out favorably for you.

susie1
19-12-17, 21:18
When will you get the results? I know how terrifying waiting for results can be but It could still be anxiety or 101 other things. Once you know you will have a plan moving forwards. thinking of you

ariana95
19-12-17, 22:15
Thank you so much everyone

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

When will you get the results? I know how terrifying waiting for results can be but It could still be anxiety or 101 other things. Once you know you will have a plan moving forwards. thinking of you

hopefully on friday! Hope it's something that can be fixed

ariana95
22-12-17, 11:40
Got my results. One tiny area of abnormal signal which has worried me but the doctor said it's fine. I suppose I should listen.

cattia
22-12-17, 12:54
That's an amazing result compared to what you were expecting. I hope you are going to have an awesome Christmas this year xxx

ariana95
22-12-17, 13:00
I'm really upset actually, the area where the spot was found corresponds exactly to where I'm having symptoms. I don't know why he never made the connection

Toronto girl
22-12-17, 13:48
I find it odd that doctors were telling that you might have the worst form of MS and they have now decided you are in fact fine. It’s concerning that there are doctors practicing medicine who have such bad bed side manners. They are actually verging on negligent in my opinion. Awful.

---------- Post added at 09:48 ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 ----------

Have a wonderful Christmas! You must be so happy.

ariana95
22-12-17, 15:01
No i'm really not happy sorry guys, my MRI report says abnormal signal in the right corona radiata - the radiographer said this is probably not a stroke??? My whole right side is weak. My stepmum works in a hospital and she's asked her friend who is a professor of neurology to read my report as the high signal area corresponds with where i'm having symptoms on my body. Maybe I'm just having a silent migraine? I've heard they can cause stroke-like symptoms and show up on MRIs

cattia
22-12-17, 15:35
Migraines definitely show on MRIs. Did the doctor not interpret the results for you? My friend had something similar show up on an MRI and his Dr told him that many people will actually have a slightly abnormal result but the neurologist can read it and tell you whether it's actually anything to worry about or not.

countrygirl
22-12-17, 15:46
Its good news. Mri is brilliant but it can throw up all sorts of "wonder what this is". 16 yrs ago a brain mri with me showed what they thoight was the demylienation of ms. Was told i might develop ms. Had to have repeat scans every 2 years for 10yrs and nothing ever changed. Then they said that loads of people have what looks like ms but isnt!!!

cattia
22-12-17, 15:54
Its good news. Mri is brilliant but it can throw up all sorts of "wonder what this is". 16 yrs ago a brain mri with me showed what they thoight was the demylienation of ms. Was told i might develop ms. Had to have repeat scans every 2 years for 10yrs and nothing ever changed. Then they said that loads of people have what looks like ms but isnt!!!

That is identical to what happened to my friend. He was told he had a patch of demylination and may develop MS but has since been told it's just 'one of those things'.

O_O
22-12-17, 16:26
Sorry you're still feeling bad Ariana. I would feel the same way as you if a high signal area was found that corresponded to where I was having symptoms. From an outsider's perspective, it's easy to see that it's just one of those things and nothing to worry about. Very different when it's happening to you though. It's so hard to get on with your life when you have symptoms that are apparently nothing but you feel, or know, that something is wrong.

ariana95
22-12-17, 17:46
Thanks everyone you've made me feel a lot better. I'm actually going to put it out my mind, if the neurologist isn't worried then I won't be either. I'm starting counselling soon so hopefully my symptoms will improve after a few months of that. Thanks so much, going to try and enjoy my christmas now, lots to be thankful for. Hope you all do the same x

swgrl09
22-12-17, 19:00
I agree, see if you can focus on Christmas. If the neurologist isn't worried, then you don't need to be either. It sounds like there could have been much worse outcomes, but suffering from HA myself, I know I would have a range of emotions about it. :hugs::hugs:

Potter86
22-12-17, 19:25
Thanks everyone you've made me feel a lot better. I'm actually going to put it out my mind, if the neurologist isn't worried then I won't be either. I'm starting counselling soon so hopefully my symptoms will improve after a few months of that. Thanks so much, going to try and enjoy my christmas now, lots to be thankful for. Hope you all do the same x

Good on you,have a good christmas

Mindphaser
23-12-17, 00:29
When i had obsession with MS, my body "produced" following symptoms:

-Constant Dizziness 24/7
-Constant urge to urinate
-A lot of muscle twitches
-My eye pupils were uneven sometimes
-Fatigue
-Nasty tingling and sensory changes

It was really difficult to live with them. But when i started drug therapy they all diminished. Currently I have only dizziness but in very tolerable state, i hope one day it will all go away. But I'm pretty sure I don't have MS.

ariana95
23-12-17, 11:00
Thanks for this, this is really reassuring. I’m going to speak to a doctor about medication for my anxiety. Hopefully that will help

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 ----------

I agree, see if you can focus on Christmas. If the neurologist isn't worried, then you don't need to be either. It sounds like there could have been much worse outcomes, but suffering from HA myself, I know I would have a range of emotions about it. :hugs::hugs:

Yes that’s true. I’m going to keep calm :)

melfish
23-12-17, 18:18
Ariana, were you diagnosed with FND before or after the MRI results?

ariana95
26-12-17, 15:04
Ariana, were you diagnosed with FND before or after the MRI results?

After

susie1
31-12-17, 15:19
Hi How are you feeling?

ariana95
03-01-18, 12:28
Hi How are you feeling?

I've sent you a message :)