PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine Overdose

itiswhatitis
09-12-17, 22:37
At about 12pm, I had a latte, then an hour or two later I had a coke/soda. After the soda I started feeling a bit weird, like I couldn't concentrate and increased heartbeat. It's 10:30pm now and I've felt like that on and off all day. I know I didn't consume a lot but I'm worried that I could be having a caffeine overdose lol
I sort of feel like I'm dissociating? I used to feel this way when I was younger and had panic attacks but haven't felt like this in a few years so could it just be anxiety?

snowflake293
09-12-17, 22:40
At about 12pm, I had a latte, then an hour or two later I had a coke/soda. After the soda I started feeling a bit weird, like I couldn't concentrate and increased heartbeat. It's 10:30pm now and I've felt like that on and off all day. I know I didn't consume a lot but I'm worried that I could be having a caffeine overdose lol
I sort of feel like I'm dissociating? I used to feel this way when I was younger and had panic attacks but haven't felt like this in a few years so could it just be anxiety?

My husband feels like this after he drinks coffee. Caffeine and anxiety generally don't mix well. I avoid caffeine when my anxiety is bad, as I find it makes it worse. You would have to drink A LOT of caffeinated drinks in order to overdose :) I don't think its that. I know how horrible it feels though (I felt like I was dissociating earlier on this evening) It sounds like its anxiety to me. Hope you can find a way to wind-down and distract yourself. I know how horrible it is feeling like this.

itiswhatitis
09-12-17, 22:50
My husband feels like this after he drinks coffee. Caffeine and anxiety generally don't mix well. I avoid caffeine when my anxiety is bad, as I find it makes it worse. You would have to drink A LOT of caffeinated drinks in order to overdose :) I don't think its that. I know how horrible it feels though (I felt like I was dissociating earlier on this evening) It sounds like its anxiety to me. Hope you can find a way to wind-down and distract yourself. I know how horrible it is feeling like this.

Thank you snowflake. It really is horrible. I usually avoid caffeine but I really like the lattes we have. I'm scared that because I don't usually drink it, it's affected me worse. My chest hurts too. I'm just really freaking out.

snowflake293
09-12-17, 22:56
Thank you snowflake. It really is horrible. I usually avoid caffeine but I really like the lattes we have. I'm scared that because I don't usually drink it, it's affected me worse. My chest hurts too. I'm just really freaking out.

I know the feeling well. It is horrible. I get chest pains too from too much coffee (and I love the stuff!) best thing you can do is drink plenty of water and try and distract yourself if you can.

itiswhatitis
09-12-17, 22:59
I know the feeling well. It is horrible. I get chest pains too from too much coffee (and I love the stuff!) best thing you can do is drink plenty of water and try and distract yourself if you can.

Thank you. I'll drink some water. Your replies are helpful :) I'll update in a bit and let you know how I am.

snowflake293
09-12-17, 23:32
Thank you. I'll drink some water. Your replies are helpful :) I'll update in a bit and let you know how I am.

You are welcome. I know how bad it feels now but I promise it will pass. I have talked my husband down from this many a time, and I have to remind myself that it is ok when it happens to me. You will be ok in an hour or so I imagine. Just keep sipping water and do some breathing exercises :)

katielovespizza
10-12-17, 03:20
I've definitely been there! I ordered a decaf coffee at around 8pm at night, and drank it all to come to realize they didn't give me decaf. It was definitely caffeinated (my husband drank some too and noticed the effects, but he didn't drink as much as I did!). I was up until 4am pacing the house thinking I had "caffeine overdose." You'd have to have sooooo much more caffeine to actually overdose, AND it's so rare. Caffeine causes anxiety (and yes, dissociation or depersonalization as a result), so I'd just wait it out. Water should definitely help. I bet you'll be feeling much better soon. :)