PDA

View Full Version : Unusual heartbeats - ectopics?

rob3231
23-06-07, 19:10
A few months back I started getting odd but isolated heartbeats when cycling. Everynow and again I'd feel a louder 'thump' in my chest, usually following what felt like my heart missing a beat.

They got worse last weekend (while out cycling) and this shook me up a bit. They have started happening when walking (not so frequently) and while resting, though they are very rare then. There may be one, or two and then nothing for a few hours. On Tuesday I went the whole day without one.

I have been winding myself up about this all week and finally saw a doctor yesterday. I had an ECG and it was fine, but the doctor just to be sure has referred me to a cardiologist to have a 'stress' ECG, as the symptoms are worse when exercising.

I (think I) have "white coat syndrome", a phobia about illness and especially hospitals. I can hardly read about medical stuff without feeling faint and shaking slightly. My blood pressure was higher in the surgery than normal, though the doctor wasn't concerned by it. I read the symptoms of anxiety in another part of this site and I ticked just about every one - excessive urinating, frequent "visits to the toilet", you name it. I have also lost my appetite, I'm worried that my weight has dropped between 4 and 5 lbs this week. Great, another reason to get anxious!

Having a phobia about illness, and having the effects of that phobia appear to make the illness exist or worsen it, is a horrible cycle of positive feedback. As we know though, phobias are impervious to reason. My age (youngish), fitness (good), weight (slightly over), non-smoker, light drinker and of course the ECG and doctor's examination all say that a heart attack isn't going to happen, but anxiety just brushes those aside.

I've rambled a bit there, and I have a specific question...

My question, and it sounds like a stupid one, is can an ECG miss heart problems? Or would it pick them up, even if they were not manifesting themselves at the time the ECG was taken?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

dizzy
24-06-07, 00:40
hi rob.

My question, and it sounds like a stupid one, is can an ECG miss heart problems? Or would it pick them up, even if they were not manifesting themselves at the time the ECG was taken?

from the symptoms u have described it sounds like ur getting ectopic beats, wat people call missed beats but are in fact extra beats. they are totally harmless and dont really need treatment. the ECG would pick up these ectopic beats...if you were having them at the time. i had two ECGs done and at both times my ectopics were not caught..even though i usually get them all day long! bad luck or wat?
the only thing ECGs can miss are tachycardias..as once again you may not suffer from one at the time of having the ECG on. however it will put ur mind at rest once u get the stress ECG done to see if you may have any other condition..hopefully you wont, especially as you seem to be healthy in every other way. ectopics are caused by anxiety...so ask urself if ur an anxious person..then decide whether you thing you fit the critera. dont stress rob, i stressed loads about my ectopics bcos i used to get that hard thump in the chest ur feeling..and scared myself senseless..but after having it listened to by my doc he said theyr ectopics..totally benign! :D

cazza
24-06-07, 09:56
Hi Rob it sounds like your getting ectopics they feed off anxiety so try your best to ignore them. My cardiologist said they can see from an ecg if any thing is wrong with your heart they dont need to catch ectopics on there to see if they are ok try not to worry carol

rob3231
24-06-07, 12:00
Thanks for your replies - I spent a very long, sleepless night on Friday and a very long day on Saturday before I found this site. These things declined after I read about them and my anxiety symptoms declined also. I also managed to sleep last night and I haven't had one this morning.

I just wish my appointment was today, not in two days time. I just want to get it over with.