PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal to smell diesel fumes on a bus? Is it bad?

WorriedTex
12-12-17, 09:01
I've been noticing, when my local bus gets crowded on a cold morning especially, the smell of diesel fumes, not too strongly, but still noticeable. I personally can't stand them and my chest tightens, however my co-worker who rides the bus with me says they don't bother him, nor give him a tight chest. Is this normal? My ride is only 15 minutes, but I'm still worried of damage to my organs, and possibly cancer.

raggamuffin
12-12-17, 10:24
The engine is at the back. So if it bothers you site near the front and ask to open a window.

EKB
12-12-17, 16:06
There are certain smells that get me going too - I dreaded moving back into my house after we had renos done, because I was afraid I would smell the off-gassing of spray foam. Thankfully this has not been the case. My husband uses mineral spirits to clean his tools, and I can smell a drop on a rag a mile away.

The amount of diesel fumes you are exposed to on your 15 minute bus ride are minute compared to folks who work in garages, or other work sites with heavy equipment - and who go on to live long hardy lives. So no, the fumes aren't going to harm you. But, it's totally legitimate that you have an anxious reaction with physical symptoms.

So, now that you know those fumes aren't causing any significant damage to you, try and manage your anxiety during that bus ride. Maybe strike up conversation, or listen to a book, or count landmarks. Anything to get you through the 15 minutes of discomfort.

Good luck. I know it sucks being triggered by a smell - I've been there. But I take comfort knowing that I'm just sensitive to things - even if that sensitivity is purely a product of anxiety.