PDA

View Full Version : Milk bleb on nipple but not breast feeding or pregnant?

BrokenGirl
12-12-17, 22:42
I've been worrying about my breast lately, have been to the doctor a few times. She examined me and said everything felt fine but I'm worrying about something that I didn't mention to her.
One of my nipples has a lot of white/yellow on it.
Does anyone else have anything like this?
I'm not breast feeding - it's been 10 years since my last child.
I've heard of things called milk blebs. I'm not sure if it could be this or do you have to be breast feeding or pregnant to have these.
I'd really appreciate any advice cause I'm trying not to fall down the rabbit hole with this.

Leslie735
13-12-17, 13:21
I've been in a breast rabbit hole myself lately. Its SO hard to keep yourself from spiraling, I know. Anyway, not sure if its the same thing but my right nipple has an area that turns white/yellow on it sometimes. Almost like the color completely fades away but the it'll return a few minutes later. Its not painful or anything I've just noticed it. Its right on the tip of my nipple and like you I googled and found milk blebs but I don't think that is what mine is. It doesn't behave that way anyway. Sorry if that wasn't any help at all.

BrokenGirl
13-12-17, 14:50
Thanks for replying Leslie - it's always so nice when someone does.
I've read some of your posts so I know you're going through breast HA yourself - it really sucks :weep:
Do you mind me asking how much of your nipple is white/yellow?
There always seems to be a small bit of mine that colour, but then sometimes at least half of the nipple (and not the areola) turns yellowish and it can fade away again after a while.
I'm trying so hard not to freak and there's a voice deep in my head telling me my nipple has always been that way, but lately I'm just noticing everything about my body and I'm not sure any more what I've had for years or not :shrug:
And my doctor has given me a few breast exams over the last few months so surely she would have seen it.

Leslie735
13-12-17, 14:54
As women we are drilled to check our breasts and ANYTHING that is off have it looked at. But then we do and are told we are looking TOO much. That happened to me a couple weeks ago when I went in for something I felt. My ObGyn said I was over looking and making things out of nothing. But it was a concern to me and we are told to do exactly what I did. Its all so confusing!

Anyway, its the tip of my nipple and I'd say like half of it will all of sudden lose color for a little bit then come back later. I noticed it about 6 months ago when I was worrying about something else with that breast. I googled it and it seemed to be a common thing while breastfeeding (started with a v but I can't remember what it was called exactly) but whatever it was, it was harmless so I didn't worry about it.

BrokenGirl
13-12-17, 16:07
It is hard to know where to draw the line. I definitely over analyse everything and it's come to the stage that I don't know any more what I should or shouldn't be concerned with.
I really don't want to go to the doctor about this. She has been really patient with me regarding my breast issues over the past few months. I'm hoping that she saw the yellow on my nipple but didn't mention it because it's nothing to worry about.
Would you think what I have described (or tried to describe anyway) is similar to what you have on your nipple?
I'm just surprised there aren't more women on here with similar issues....

Leslie735
13-12-17, 17:54
You sound exactly like me. I have been to the doctor more times than I'd like to admit about my breasts. Its almost embarrassing. My doctor literally drilled me at my last visit, 2 weeks ago, about what I should and shouldn't be concerned over. But then I read stuff on the BC forums and websites that go against what she said. So which is it? Ugh!

It does sound very much like the same thing. Its like the tip of my nipple blanches white for a little bit then comes back to reddish/pink color. Its not the entire tip just part of it. Like the center I guess. Does that make sense? Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk further because I know exactly how you feel right now. I am feeling similar too. *hugs*

I know sometimes I post here or on some HA facebook groups and I'm amazed I don't get more responses from women. I'm like, this HAS to be something that has happened to someone before.

BrokenGirl
13-12-17, 19:52
I'm gone into panic mode here and I don't know what to do.
I think by the way you're describing it that mine covers a much larger area. And it seems to be worst when my nipple is popped.
I just looked at my nipples in the mirror a while ago and the left one just looked so yellow. The only positive thing I can say at the moment is that I can see very small amounts of it in my other nipple, but I have to look very closely to see it. When it's at it's worst it covers about 3 quarters of my entire nipple.
I wondering if I should ring my doctor tomorrow and see if she'll talk to me over the phone, maybe she'll say something to calm me down and tell me that whatever it is it's not serious.
Breast HA really is the worst. Once it takes hold of me I can't get rid of it.
And thanks for taking the time to reply Leslie - it means a lot xx

Leslie735
14-12-17, 13:19
I'm so sorry you're struggling. I know how you feel, I'm in a very similar boat this morning. The lump I had checked a couple weeks ago is still nagging at me. She told me it was normal breast tissue but I'm afraid it isn't. I've read SO many stories on the BC forums of women saying theirs felt like normal tissue and it ended up not being. Ugh!

That is encouraging you see it on the other nipple too. I'm sure its nothing. Does it stay yellow/white or does it come back to the pink color at all? I do have a tiny white bump on one of my nipples, sorta off to the side. Its there all the time. I never really thought anything of it. Kinda looks like a white head of a pimple (sorry gross) but its not.

Let me know what your doctor says!!!

ETA: Not sure if this is what you're talking about or not but I'll throw it out there, On my aerola (the darker part around the nipple) my right one has a white look to it. Like part of it is pinkish and it has white splotches like bleached out spots sorta. Its always been like that. My other nipple has it too but its VERY faint and hardly noticeable.

BrokenGirl
14-12-17, 13:58
I'm sorry you're feeling this way too. I know what it's like to be worried about a breast lump - I've been there many times. But if a doctor checked it then you really need to try to take their word for it. I know it can be easier said than done but they are trained in it and they know what the red flags are as far as lumps are concerned. Any doubt at all, no matter how small, and they will investigate it further.
Do try to stay away from the BC forums, That's one thing I haven't done and i hope I won't either. I don't think I could handle the horror stories there!!

I've been trying to ring the doctor all morning but I can't get through. I think the phone lines are down. What a time for it to happen cause even if i get through in the afternoon my doctor doesn't work afternoons. And I'm not sure if she's in tomorrow. I was really hoping she might have calmed me down by now.

I have a little whitish bump on that nipple as well which is there all the time, but of course I've no idea how long it's been there. When the rest of the nipple goes yellow/white it does eventually go back to pinkish and if my nipple isn't popped it's usually the normal pinkish colour.

That thing on your aerola doesn't sound at all like what I have. Mine is definitely nipple area.
Don't you just have having boobs sometimes :weep:

Leslie735
14-12-17, 14:06
Oh no I'm sorry you cannot get through. Ugh! Hopefully you can here soon to get some words of encouragement. Thats great you can speak to your doctor over the phone though! Here you have to go in to talk to them, usually.

I think what you are describing is what I have too. The tip of my nipple blanches white/yellow (like its completely lost color) and then goes back to the pink color eventually. I googled it and its called vasospasm. Its harmless and nothing to worry about.

The lump I'm worrying over I didn't point out to her at my last visit. I was there for a different one about 2 inches from this one. She did do a full breast exam though but it concerns me because I feel it MUCH better standing than laying down and I was laying down for the exam. I also have to press pretty deep and she didn't. Ugh! I hate anxiety!!

BrokenGirl
14-12-17, 14:29
I just googled vasospasm - it's possible that's what it is, hopefully anyway. And it only seems to happen to my nipple when it's popped, which happens a lot if I'm cold. And I read that vasospasm can often happen, especially in fingers, when they get cold.
But I think I'll keep trying the doctor in the afternoon and in the morning. I just need to be told by a doctor that it's ok, nothing else will calm me down.

And what you describe with your lump happened me about 2 months ago. I went to the doc concerned about a lump, she gave me a full breast exam, and then I found a new one about a week later. And like you, i could feel it a lot more standing up and I was lying down for the breast exam.
Off I went anyway for yet another breast exam only to be told everything was fine. There's a reason they get us to lie down for breast exams but I'm not sure what it is. I'm sure she would have noticed your new lump if it was anything to be worried about.
Is this new lump taking over your life at the moment? I know they all say on here that we shouldn't keep going back to the doctor for reassurance, but if you're a complete mess over something then I can't see anything else we can do.
Are you dealing with your HA? Because living like this is crap. I'm currently on the waiting list for counselling - it can't come fast enough. But I hear the waiting list is very long.....

Leslie735
14-12-17, 15:54
It really sounds that is what is going on with your nipple. I think that is what mine does anyway. I really think its the same thing.

Yes, I think the purpose of laying down for an exam is so your breast flatten out and the fatty tissue falls to the side exposing the breast tissue. Over a year ago I saw a surgeon about something else and he told me that lumps that hide when you lay down is normal breast tissue. He said true lumps are always there no matter what position you are in.

I'd like to go back and see my doctor but I have been to her so much lately that I'm pretty sure she'd fire me if I came back. I have my annual with her (pap smear and all) at the beginning of February so that is only about 8 weeks away. When I was there 2 weeks ago she wasn't thrilled I was there because I had just been there the month before. She told me she wanted me to wait until my annual in February to address any more breast issues unless I felt something rock hard, so it doesn't feed my anxiety. I'm not a complete mess over it but it has my radar going that is for sure. I'm pretty sure it feels smaller than it did 2 weeks ago when I saw her. She did tell me if I feel something that isn't rock hard, then to give it a month or so to see if it goes away.

I have been working on my anxiety lately. I cannot do medication and I can't afford therapy so I'm doing alternative things. I started eating gluten free about 7 weeks ago and I started taking B12 supplements because my B12 was low in my lab work. I had read both can cause anxiety. I have noticed a difference in my anxiety since doing these two things so I am hopeful! I also started back going to church regularly and I want to start walking again in the evenings. Its probably not a cure for it but if it takes it down a notch or two I'll be happy with that!

Blonde123
14-12-17, 16:11
Hi girls. Just wanted to add that I went through a boob scare about 6 years ago. It was the start of my anxiety. Turns out my lump is fibroadenosis. Since then I've had several other cancer anxieties but I'm still here panicking! Just lately I've thought. I wish I could get rid of my girlie bits and then quite a few of us wouldn't have so many anxieties! Imagine!

BrokenGirl
15-12-17, 10:00
I'm right there with you Blonde about getting rid of our girlie bits - life would be so much simplier!!!

I'm still worried about my nipple colour. I finally got through to the doctor's surgery this morning but was told my doctor is off this week. She's not back till Monday. So I'm going to have yet another miserable weekend worrying.

The things I'm thinking it could be are either vasospasm or blocked milk ducts/pores. But nearly every website talking about these goes on about breast feeding and how common they are during breast feeding. None of them mention having either of these things without breast feeding.

Surely my doctor would have seen of felt something sinister a few weeks ago during my breast exam. That's what I'm hoping anyway.......

Leslie735
15-12-17, 20:25
The things I'm thinking it could be are either vasospasm or blocked milk ducts/pores. But nearly every website talking about these goes on about breast feeding and how common they are during breast feeding. None of them mention having either of these things without breast feeding.

I noticed this when I was googling about nipple burning a few months back. EVERYTHING was either pregnancy or breastfeeding. It was frustrating! I KNOW I cannot be the only one that wasn't in either of those categories that this issue has happened to. Ugh!

I'm sorry you have to wait until Monday. I know how difficult it is, but do your best to keep yourself busy during the weekend. I know how hard that is though when you have a worry. :scared15: I really don't think you have anything to worry about. I'm positive I have the same thing with mine.

BrokenGirl
16-12-17, 22:59
Deep down I think I've nothing to worry about, but the HA is too strong to let me have any peace of mind. And I also think that you have nothing to worry about either.
But I've been checking so much that last few days that I've found something new. I knew this would happen - when you look at something for long enough you'll see things you never did before. This time it's on the other nipple. There's a tiny lump/spot near the nipple. It's sort of like the ones around the outside of the aerola except it's more pink/red than those ones. And when the other ones get bigger and harder (usually when the nipple is popping if I'm cold) then this one gets harder and bigger like them. It seems like one of them but it's the only one in closer to the nipple.
I'm tempted now to make an appointment to see the doc on monday. One one had I think I have to (at least to enjoy xmas) but on the other hand I think I'm being totally irrational. I just don't know what to do any more :weep:

Leslie735
17-12-17, 05:08
I'm sorry you're struggling so much. I know how you feel. :( I really don't think the bump your describing is anything. I have a few outside of my nipple area, too.

Right there with you though. I found a dimple yesterday when I was looking at mine when I press into my breast tissue it forms at the bottom of my breast. Uggghhh!!

BrokenGirl
17-12-17, 15:30
Oh Leslie I wish I knew what to do. I know that all this worrying isn't normal but as soon as I notice something that triggers me off then I can't help but fall down the rabbit hole.
I think I've decided to ring my doctor tomorrow and make an appointment. Hopefully I'll get in in the next few days. I know I'll be terrified and even embarrassed going in to see her but I don't want to be feeling like this all of christmas. And then I'm worried that she won't tell me what I want to hear.
Are you going to stick it out or are you going to be brave enough to see your doctor?
I really hate having breasts sometimes :weep:

Leslie735
18-12-17, 20:24
Did you end up seeing your Dr today? I was thinking of you. :)

I have my annual with my GYN in February so I plan to address it then. I was JUST at my GYN office 3 weeks ago for a breast exam.

BrokenGirl
18-12-17, 21:21
Hi Leslie, yeah I went to my doctor today. I felt embarrassed going because I'm there so much but she was so kind about it. Anyway I told her about both of my nipples issues, she gave me yet another breast exam and had a close look at both nipples with her light and said everything was fine.
She said a nipple changing colour in never a sign of breast cancer, so that's good to know for the future. And the lump thing on the other nipple was nothing, as I knew deep down it was but my HA was screaming otherwise at me. So for now I'm relieved and refusing to even look at my boobs until my breast clinic appointment, which will be in a few months.
How are you feeling today? Having a breast exam only 3 weeks ago is very positive. You really have nothing to worry about, but I know how hard it can be sometimes.
I'm here if you need to chat. My heart goes out to you cause I know what you're going through :hugs:
We'll get through this, and eventually wonder what the hell we were so worried about xxx

BrokenGirl
11-02-18, 22:50
NIPPLE DISCHARGE AND NOT PREGNANT - REALLY WORRIED!

Freaking out a bit here, I was getting ready for a shower this evening when I noticed a little bit of liquid on one of my nipples. It wasn't much and it looked clear, or maybe a little bit white. I'm definitely not pregnant.
I can't stop thinking the worst. Is this normal? Has anyone ever had this and not pregnant?

Candy1
16-06-23, 15:22
I'm so sorry you're struggling. I know how you feel, I'm in a very similar boat this morning. The lump I had checked a couple weeks ago is still nagging at me. She told me it was normal breast tissue but I'm afraid it isn't. I've read SO many stories on the BC forums of women saying theirs felt like normal tissue and it ended up not being. Ugh!

That is encouraging you see it on the other nipple too. I'm sure its nothing. Does it stay yellow/white or does it come back to the pink color at all? I do have a tiny white bump on one of my nipples, sorta off to the side. Its there all the time. I never really thought anything of it. Kinda looks like a white head of a pimple (sorry gross) but its not.

Let me know what your doctor says!!!

ETA: Not sure if this is what you're talking about or not but I'll throw it out there, On my aerola (the darker part around the nipple) my right one has a white look to it. Like part of it is pinkish and it has white splotches like bleached out spots sorta. Its always been like that. My other nipple has it too but its VERY faint and hardly noticeable.

Hi Leslie, I know this is an old thread, but hoping you will see this. I'm going through a scare right now. I have the same thing you are describing. A small white flat spot on my areola, looks like it is bleached out or the pigmentation is gone. A dr did a breast exam last week and all was normal. No lumps. But I don't know if he saw that spot. Did you ask your dr about it? I'm so scared right now.

Candy1
16-06-23, 20:31
[QUOTE=Candy1;2075803]Hi Leslie, I know this is an old thread, but hoping you will see this. I'm going through a scare right now. I have the same thing you are describing. A small white flat spot on my areola, looks like it is bleached out or the pigmentation is gone. A dr did a breast exam last week and all was normal. No lumps. But I don't know if he saw that spot. Did you ask your dr about it? I'm so scared right now.