PDA

View Full Version : Broken wrist at school

Nikki02
12-12-17, 22:54
Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I broke my wrist last week. Today I had a PE lesson, and it didn't occur to me that I would need a sick note to get out of it, so I still had to do the lesson. Is that right?

venusbluejeans
12-12-17, 23:17
Hiya Nikki and Welcome to No More Panic.

What are you worried about exactly? As long as it didn't harm your broken wrist then I would say it is fine.... just remember to take one next time.

Can I ask how old you are please?

Nikki02
12-12-17, 23:23
Hi. Thanks. They knew my wrist was broken (it should have been obvious as it was in a cast!)
But I wasn't expecting to have to do the PE lesson, so didn't even have my PE kit with me!

nomorepanic
12-12-17, 23:34
You really need to talk to your parents about this and get them to complain if they made you do a PE lesson.

You do know this is a panic and anxiety site yeah?

Nikki02
12-12-17, 23:38
Yes, but having to do the PE lesson like that has made me a bit anxious about going into school tomorrow

---------- Post added at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this

nomorepanic
12-12-17, 23:45
How old are you can I ask?

Just get your parents to write a note now saying you cannot do any PE lessons.

Do you suffer with anxiety then?

Nikki02
12-12-17, 23:48
Sorry - I'm 15. I'll get my parents to write me a sick note for next time, but it was too late for yesterday and I still had to do the lesson. Because I didn't have my PE kit with me and everyone saw me having to do the lesson without kit, I'm a bit anxious about having to go into school tomorrow

nomorepanic
12-12-17, 23:55
You will be fine - the incident is done and over with and you just have to move on.

Nothing bad happened and there is no reason to be worried about school again I promise.

Nikki02
12-12-17, 23:57
But I had to do the lesson wearing just my knickers! Just for not having my kit. I don't know how I can go in tomorrow after everyone seeing me like that

venusbluejeans
13-12-17, 00:03
You need to get your parents to send a complaint to your school about it all I think... because if they did that then that isn't right.... they would normally make you use lost property.

nomorepanic
13-12-17, 00:04
If they made you do this then your parents should complain tomorrow.

I am pretty sure they do not do that in 2017

Nikki02
13-12-17, 00:07
Our school doesn't keep lost property - anyone without PE kit has to do it in underwear. I just didn't realise that they would make me do it with a broken wrist, and I can't tell my parents I had to do the lesson in my underwear!

venusbluejeans
13-12-17, 00:08
you have too because it is wrong that you had to do that..

nomorepanic
13-12-17, 00:10
why can't you tell them - this is almost like child abuse to me!!

Nikki02
13-12-17, 13:34
why can't you tell them - this is almost like child abuse to me!!

Yes, but its a bit embarrassing to tell them!

Nikki02
14-12-17, 22:20
Does anyone else think that I shouldn't have had to do PE wearing just my bra and knickers?

ServerError
14-12-17, 22:45
Nobody can be forced to do anything in their underwear. If this really happened the way you describe, then a crime has been committed.

Nikki02
14-12-17, 23:02
What crime?

ServerError
14-12-17, 23:11
I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure you can't legally force anyone to do something in their underwear, including at school.

KK77
14-12-17, 23:15
What crime?

Humiliating a young girl by making her wear only underwear to PE is against your school's duty of care and a serious violation.

You should speak to your parents and explain exactly what happened. There is no other way forward.

Fishmanpa
14-12-17, 23:17
anyone without PE kit has to do it in underwear.

This implies that it's a rule. I cannot imagine any school having such a policy :ohmy: Seriously... They actually make young teens take a PE class in their underwear just because they don't have a note? At worse, you just make up the class. That's just common sense. But this? Really? Maybe it's just the recent rash of sexual harassment stories happening but this sounds suspiciously similar to those stories.

Regardless, making a student with an obvious broken arm take PE in their underwear just because they didn't have a note is far and above abuse and it needs to be reported! That's just some messed up $^%$ there! :mad:

Positive thoughts

KK77
14-12-17, 23:28
Even in an all girls school this is not acceptable, as it's humiliation.

Nikki02
14-12-17, 23:31
Is a mixed school, with boys in the lesson too

KK77
14-12-17, 23:33
Is a mixed school, with boys in the lesson too

That's even more serious then, so you should tell your parents now.

Fishmanpa
14-12-17, 23:37
Even in an all girls school this is not acceptable, as it's humiliation.

Agreed!

Nikki, this event obviously has caused you some trauma and distress. So much so that you ended up here on an internet website for people that suffer from anxiety and other mental illnesses. You shouldn't have to be dealing with this.

You're asking for advice and seriously (this coming from a father of two children, one with anxiety and depression), you need to TALK TO YOUR PARENTS! Unless you can show me in writing such a rule, I have to conclude this is abuse.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
15-12-17, 04:52
Yes, it does go on. I'm surprised people haven't seen these cases as they appear in the news from time to time:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/education/2017/11/24/anger-after-telford-primary-pupils-do-pe-in-their-underwear/

As the council member and headteacher said...

Mrs Cousins said that there was no option to hand out spare kits. She said: “Unfortunately all of our spare PE Kits had been previously issued to children and had not been returned.“ Telford & Wrekin Council claimed that getting children who have forgotten their PE kit to do the class in their underwear happens every day across the country.

Advertising

Council spokesman Russell Griffin said: “This was a decision taken on the day by staff at a particular school based on the fact that the pupils in question had indicated they did want to take part in the PE lesson.

“I understand that all the pupils concerned enjoyed the lesson

“There is no national guidance on the subject but pragmatic decisions like this are taken every day in schools up and down the country.”

So, it's accepted as possible by schools and who govern them.

It used to go on when I was at school many years ago but you would think these days with new awareness over sexual abuse cases that it would have stopped. That and the fact I regard it as demeaning. Any kids forced to do it in their underwear in my day were teased by the rest of the class, a load of kids (and likely the teacher) laughing. This was also at secondary school but more common in primary.

Something I would deeply disapprove of would be a mixed class in pubescent children. That really is wrong. And again, I worry about pervert teachers & staff.

I would put it to your parents. It has upset you and they need to sort this out. If the class was also with boys (at least at my school we took PE separately although I doubt a teacher would have had the brains if it happened in the mixed sessions for boys but would expect girls to be considered due to their breast development) then doing so brings an unpleasant sexual aspect to this.

It beggars belief that at a time when schools are having to create more diverse policies to address the complex issues children are accepted as facing (homosexuality, transgenderism, etc make good examples) that they can't get the basics right when it comes to opening the door to demeaning & bullying! :doh:

---------- Post added at 04:52 ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 ----------

I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure you can't legally force anyone to do something in their underwear, including at school.

Like many things teachers do, they rely on a position of power as the parent in the article I linked complained. They've been "persuading" kids to do things forever.

If a kid refused, they face punishment. Again it comes back to bringing your parents in.

When I was a teenager we had a maladjusted PE teacher who lined us up against the gym wall with our hands spread to the side while he kicked an indoor football at us. He thought it was funny. Sadly not all in teaching are moral. We didn't want to do that either, perhaps times were different years ago... corporal punishment was just on it's way out in my day.

Magic
15-12-17, 14:28
Well, I think this is a diabolical thing.
No way would my 9 year old g/daughter do PE in her underwear with a mixed class.
or same sex. If this happened to her she would tell her parents.
She would not be embarrassed by doing so either.

Nikki. Please tell your parents. It is not the thing teacher's should be doing in this day and age.

Annaboodle
15-12-17, 19:04
They did this at my school! I'm 43 now, but can still remember the humiliation. It was vest and navy blue knickers for us. If you forgot your swimming kit it was the same. I'd hoped this kind of thing had completely died out now, but sadly not. Sorry Nikki, I know what it's like - awful.

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Like many things teachers do, they rely on a position of power as the parent in the article I linked complained. They've been "persuading" kids to do things forever.

If a kid refused, they face punishment. Again it comes back to bringing your parents in.

When I was a teenager we had a maladjusted PE teacher who lined us up against the gym wall with our hands spread to the side while he kicked an indoor football at us. He thought it was funny. Sadly not all in teaching are moral. We didn't want to do that either, perhaps times were different years ago... corporal punishment was just on it's way out in my day.

Yep, we faced corporal punishment - being given the belt in front of the whole class if we refused to do anything. The football thing also made it as far as Aberdeen I'm afraid too Terry :(

Nikki02
16-12-17, 00:44
Yes, it does go on. I'm surprised people haven't seen these cases as they appear in the news from time to time:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/education/2017/11/24/anger-after-telford-primary-pupils-do-pe-in-their-underwear/

I've seen that. Obviously a 7 year old is going to be wearing a vest rather than a bra like I was, and I doubt her knickers were as skimpy as mine were. I certainly will be wearing more modest knickers to school in the future!

---------- Post added at 00:44 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

Nikki. Please tell your parents. It is not the thing teacher's should be doing in this day and age.

I honestly can't

Fishmanpa
16-12-17, 01:11

I honestly can't

As a parent, this is so frustrating, maddening and sad. This is an internet forum and unfortunately, one cannot come through the screen and make sure something is done about this! If my daughter ever came to me and told me something like this?... Let's just say it wouldn't be pretty.

There's nothing we can do but advise you as to the best course of action. I hope you find the inner strength to ask for help in real life.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
16-12-17, 02:46
I've seen that. Obviously a 7 year old is going to be wearing a vest rather than a bra like I was, and I doubt her knickers were as skimpy as mine were. I certainly will be wearing more modest knickers to school in the future!

Nikki,

I just posted that as forum members wree questioning whether this goes on and whether it's abuse, when I've been seeing cases just like in the news for years so I was surprised. It's common knowledge.

I suspect it's more likely in primary schools or same sex lessons. It seems unusual in a mixed class of 15 year olds, it takes a pretty dumb adult to not to release the impact on this on your self esteem as well as the horny 15 year old boys who will act as they are bound to for their age.

The teacher needs a serious rollocking in my opinion.

Not all parents are obsessed with running to the media to find their fame. Most parents will just do what is needed and move on.

I really do think you need to talk to your parents. They won't be angry or disappointed with you. They will be very angry with the school.

---------- Post added at 02:46 ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 ----------

Yep, we faced corporal punishment - being given the belt in front of the whole class if we refused to do anything. The football thing also made it as far as Aberdeen I'm afraid too Terry :(

Sorry to hear that, Anna. Maybe it was in their teacher training back then?!!! I had teachers who didn't do it though, I remember several who commanded more respect from their voices than a cane ever would have done.

We had the cane, the hand and the slipper. The latter was more for primary schools. The cane was the choice for secondary. We had a change of head teacher though and she didn't believe in it and to be honest, she commanded respect without it!

It's a far cry from the stories of my parents childhood though.

swajj
16-12-17, 04:29

---------- Post added at 00:44 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

I honestly can't

Why not?

What’s the name of the school?

Phuzella
16-12-17, 05:16
Doing PE with a cast on your arm and in bra and pants at age 15? In any school let alone a mixed school.
I don't believe it sorry .
Actually at any age

MyNameIsTerry
16-12-17, 05:22
Doing PE with a cast on your arm and in bra and pants at age 15? In any school let alone a mixed school.
Actually at any age

I suggest you read the link I added then where there is such a case currently in the media (and it's hardly the first time) where the council themselves say it goes on all the time around the UK.

Naming the school is irrelevant, it proves nothing either way as I'm sure we know.

I'm surprised Admin haven't moved this thread to a more relevant board, perhaps one less "animated" :winks:

swajj
16-12-17, 05:38
It isn’t irrelevant at all. If this is the sort of practice that is occurring then the school should be named and shamed.

That’s if it’s true.

MyNameIsTerry
16-12-17, 05:51
I agree it should be named & shamed, but a post on a random internet forum won't do that. It needs a complaint from the parents and an investigation. It could be the work of one idiotic teacher without school agreement and the school should also have the right to investigate & defend itself.

The OP naming & shaming their school wouldn't be a good idea for them anyway, they could face repercussions from it if the teacher is the unpleasant type, not that I think a post on a small forum like this will ever be seen by anyone.

My point about being irrelevant was regarding whether it could be used in any way to validate anything because anyone can post a random school name with them all being in the public domain.

Phuzella
16-12-17, 05:53
I've worked in approx 25 schools over the last 20 years, all primary, and have never seen any child doing PE in their underwear. Maybe having to take their shoes off once or twice, but most kids wear trainers to school these days so can keep them on to do PE.
But given today's compensation culture it would be stupid for a school to let any pupil do PE with an obviously broken bone. If this thread is genuine, it's diabolical and action needs to be taken.
I attended primary school in the 1960s :ohmy: and it was the norm for girls to do PE with their dress tucked in their pants.
That was 50 years ago though.
Anyway this needs the parents taking action if this did occur

MyNameIsTerry
16-12-17, 06:04
I'm 41, it used to go on at my primary & secondary schools. We were in same sex PE sessions at least (in secondary) but you would get laughed at for doing it in your Y fronts. We didn;'t forget them much!

But Telford & Wrekin council actually put in their statement to the media that they are aware it goes on in schools across the UK. Even the school stated they use spare kits but they had all gone missing so they allowed children to do it in their underwear. It seems very strange in 2017 but if they say it goes on, I have to believe them as strange as it sounds. Someone needs to just bring in a rule to say it's unacceptable and anyone doing it will have to stop. Why they don't just do that, who knows? I guess it comes to down to expecting schools to know how to handle it using common sense.

In pubescent children though it beings a whole new slant on it for me.

With a break, it would be ludicrous and you would be sitting it out even in my schooldays unless we were doing something non physical.

It just goes to show you have worked in schools with common sense, Phuzella!

KK77
16-12-17, 18:03
If this case is true, the school in question has failed and breached two major areas in its duty of care it has for every pupil:

1. Forcing a pupil who has an injury - in this case a "broken wrist" in a cast - to participate in a PE class and exposing them to further injury.

2. Forcing a pupil of pubescent age to participate in a PE class in their "underwear", thereby exposing them to ridicule and/or verbal abuse, sexual discrimination/harassment and humiliation.

Furthermore, the OP says her knickers were "skimpy" which further implies a highly inappropriate sexualised slant to this. I would expect the school to be in a lot of shit, whether this has happened once or a 100 times, and I'm sure any parent would be justifiably outraged too. I would.

Fishmanpa
16-12-17, 18:13
If this case is true, the school in question has failed and breached two major areas in its duty of care it has for every pupil:

1. Forcing a pupil who has an injury - in this case a "broken wrist" in a cast - to participate in a PE class and exposing them to further injury.

2. Forcing a pupil of pubescent age to participate in a PE class in their "underwear", thereby exposing them to ridicule and/or verbal abuse, sexual discrimination/harassment and humiliation.

Furthermore, the OP says her knickers were "skimpy" which further implies a highly inappropriate sexualised slant to this. I would expect the school to be in a lot of shit, whether this has happened once or a 100 times, and I'm sure any parent would be justifiably outraged too. I would.

I agree.

Nikki, I know this has caused you emotional trauma and stress, you wouldn't have sought out the forum otherwise, but I have to question what we can actually do for you :shrug: One way or another you have to address this in real life. Whether you go to your parents, a school counselor or a trusted adult, something needs to be done about this. Sadly, we can't do that in this medium. You're a minor that has been essentially assaulted.

Positive thoughts

Magic
16-12-17, 18:25
None of the girls in any of my schools were asked to do PE in their under clothes ever.
Cannot remember about the infants.
The only thing I can remember is no one ever did have to do PE in their underwear.
The 15 year old who started this thread maybe cannot talk to her parents!!!!!
The school that Terry mentioned in Telford should be investigated further.
It's downright disgraceful.

Nikki02
17-12-17, 00:44

What do you mean by sexualised? Anyone who doesn't have their kit does it in their underwear - I wasn't wearing anything particularly 'skimpy'

ServerError
17-12-17, 00:54
Look, there's nothing appropriate or right about making 15 year old girls (or boys) do a PE lesson in their underwear. It sounds downright sinister. I had no idea it goes on and am shocked to hear it does. I find it really hard to believe it's legal.

Please find somebody you trust who can approach the school about this.

Nikki02
17-12-17, 01:10
Actually at any age

Its true. If we don't have our kit they make girls do gym or swimming in vest/bra and knickers - for boys its just boxers /pants. Outdoor PE its shirt or jumper and pants

---------- Post added at 01:02 ---------- Previous post was at 00:58 ----------

Look, there's nothing appropriate or right about making 15 year old girls (or boys) do a PE lesson in their underwear. It sounds downright sinister. I had no idea it goes on and am shocked to hear it does. I find it really hard to believe it's legal.

Please find somebody you trust who can approach the school about this.

I'll just make sure I've always got my PE kit on PE days!

---------- Post added at 01:10 ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 ----------

I'm surprised Admin haven't moved this thread to a more relevant board, perhaps one less "animated" :winks:

I wasn't sure which board to post it on, so if someone can move it to a better one?

KK77
17-12-17, 01:12
What do you mean by sexualised? Anyone who doesn't have their kit does it in their underwear - I wasn't wearing anything particularly 'skimpy'

See below...

Obviously a 7 year old is going to be wearing a vest rather than a bra like I was, and I doubt her knickers were as skimpy as mine were. I certainly will be wearing more modest knickers to school in the future!

Nikki02
17-12-17, 01:15
See below...

What I meant was a 7 year old's underwear isn't going to be the same as a teenager's. I wasn't wearing a thong or anything!

KK77
17-12-17, 01:20
What I meant was a 7 year old's underwear isn't going to be the same as a teenager's. I wasn't wearing a thong or anything!

Have you told your parents yet?

Phuzella
17-12-17, 05:00
Outdoor PE in jumper and pants? ! Swimming in underwear? !.

swajj
17-12-17, 05:38
I think you missed my question. Why can’t you tell your parents?

Also if you name the school then you don’t have to do anything about it. Someone else will.

MyNameIsTerry
17-12-17, 06:26
Naming the school on here won't mean anyone follows anything up. A complaint needs to be made through the proper channels, unless someone is banking on a journo wanting to dig around about it (maybe they will but this is a small forum so will it ever be seen?). The issue needs to be proven.

---------- Post added at 06:18 ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 ----------

Nikki,

I think we all understand this but putting a 15 year old girl in front of 15 year old boys means they have thoughts about you. They are viewing areas of your body that they would not normally and shouldn't either. Even in swimming I'm assuming girls still wear costumers and don't swim in bikinis?!!! Kids talk, make fun of others. It's a situation that can easily lead to bullying or inappropriate sexual behaviour.

There is also the matter of teachers. I would have a serious issue with adult males looking at 15 year old girls in their underwear. Imagine a male teacher walking in on you in the changing room? That would be highly inappropriate and a matter fir disciplinary investigation, if not criminal investigation.

I'm very sure any parent would have a problem with teenage boys leering over their daughter. You wouldn't be asked to strip in a maths class because it would become sexualised as KK says.

And any adult would have a major problem with adult teachers, male & female, looking at 15 year old girls in their underwear. If you took that image to a form of media, say a photo on the internet, that would become child porn and a matter for criminal investigation.

A male teacher seeing a child at primary school in their pants in PE would raise some serious eyebrows these days as we've moved on from the old days where society didn't think much about such things in schools.

It may be legal, but it's still nuts. It's a high profile media case in the making.

---------- Post added at 06:26 ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 ----------

None of the girls in any of my schools were asked to do PE in their under clothes ever.
Cannot remember about the infants.
The only thing I can remember is no one ever did have to do PE in their underwear.
The 15 year old who started this thread maybe cannot talk to her parents!!!!!
The school that Terry mentioned in Telford should be investigated further.
It's downright disgraceful.

We used to have spare kits too but they used to go missing. They should have charged the parents who didn't bring them back in my opinion.

Yep, that school should have a massive kick up the backside. Sadly, as they say, there is no national guidance therefore it sounds like those in charge of national governance, and LA's, are happy to point the finger at each other and nothing really happens.

I find it utterly weird that this is still going on given how awareness of sexual abuse, paedophilia, etc has grown in recent decades. If I was a teacher I wouldn't want to open myself up to an issue over this, especially being male although female sexual abusers exist in lower numbers.

AntsyVee
17-12-17, 07:29
This young lady’s parents need to complain to the school district or however it is run through the UK. The PE Department at this school is messed up. She’s had two incidences in PE in less than a week.