PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out about infection

CG5246
13-12-17, 10:16
Hello, I am new here. I Am 29 and have health anxiety and anxiety in general. I have had a long bout of health anxiety these past few months which has caused me to barely sleep and I’m worrying constantly. My family and I are American expats living in Germany. I am having a little bit of an issue with trusting the doctors here just because I don’t know what to expect and also because of the language barrier.

Anyway after going to a bunch of doctors to try to figure out what is wrong with me, my ENT did a mouth/throat culture and found that I had “low growth rate of Klebsiella oxytoca”. I’ve never heard of this before. He didn’t say much about it, didn’t seem concerned, and there was an Antibiogram next to it that listed the antibiotics and whether it was resistant or susceptible. It is resistant to ampicillin, amoxicillin, and mezlocillin, but is susceptible to all other antibiotics. SOOO basically I am very scared because of a few things. I googled this bacteria (I know, bad idea) and MOST of what I could find was all about how it’s resistant to antibiotics. I suppose I should trust that the antibiogram is about the particular bacteria strain that I have, so I should trust that if he gave me one of the susceptible ones it will go away. I’m just scared that it won’t because it’s resistant to a few and that’s all I can find on google about this bacteria!

Also I’m confused because more than one site said it’s naturallt found in the intestinal tract and the MOUTH? That’s where he swabbed me, so I don’t know if this is something really concerning or not. He has me on the highest dose of Cefuroxim so I guess it is :weep:

I also read that it’s rare and mostly only unhealthy people get it (long hospital stays and cancer and auto immune disease patients) so I’m scared that now I have cancer or an auto immune disease! My doctor said the opposite, he said you can get it from your kids or something and he wasn’t making a big deal. But I know he knows I worry about everything so he was probably just downplaying it!

The last thing I’m worried about is that this bacteria is one of the strains that can cause sepsis. I didnt sleep well at ALL last night because I’m so scared I’m going to die from this. Please help.

snowflake293
13-12-17, 12:47
Hi, I am sorry you have all this worry going on at the moment. It must be difficult being somewhere and not trusting the doctors too.

I was really worried about sepsis the other week due to cuts on my leg that I thought were infected. Like you I couldn't get to sleep as I was scared I would die/not wake up/wake up in hospital. It was really bad and I was beside myself with worry.

I also have the c-word fears. A few years ago I had shingles and it made me worry about my immune system or having the c-word - but it was actually stress that had run me down due to health anxiety!

If you doctor isn't concerned I would take that as a good sign. It is more than their job's worth to 'down play' things.

Pretty much any of us, if we have a load of tests done - various things are picked up on. It doesn't always mean something is wrong. I had a high rheumatoid factor show up on a blood test once, but there was nothing 'wrong' with me.

I know how scary it is when the fears set in, but from what you have said I don't think there is anything terrible going on :) I really hope that helps.

CG5246
13-12-17, 18:50
Hi, I am sorry you have all this worry going on at the moment. It must be difficult being somewhere and not trusting the doctors too.

I was really worried about sepsis the other week due to cuts on my leg that I thought were infected. Like you I couldn't get to sleep as I was scared I would die/not wake up/wake up in hospital. It was really bad and I was beside myself with worry.

I also have the c-word fears. A few years ago I had shingles and it made me worry about my immune system or having the c-word - but it was actually stress that had run me down due to health anxiety!

If you doctor isn't concerned I would take that as a good sign. It is more than their job's worth to 'down play' things.

Pretty much any of us, if we have a load of tests done - various things are picked up on. It doesn't always mean something is wrong. I had a high rheumatoid factor show up on a blood test once, but there was nothing 'wrong' with me.

I know how scary it is when the fears set in, but from what you have said I don't think there is anything terrible going on :) I really hope that helps.

Hi Snowflake! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and respond. I think you are right, I just feel like I struggle from day to day, and even hour to hour some days going back and forth about whether I should be legitimately concerned about my health or if this is panic. I know I am not helping my health with my anxiety since I only manage 4-5 hours of usually interrupted sleep every night.

tryingtosurvive1
14-12-17, 02:21
I'd take the antibiotic and try to sit tight. It should start to take effect and then you will naturally relax. It's just getting through the first however long (not an antibiotic expert) that will be nerve-racking.

You can do it! Stay off google!

CG5246
14-12-17, 06:34
I'd take the antibiotic and try to sit tight. It should start to take effect and then you will naturally relax. It's just getting through the first however long (not an antibiotic expert) that will be nerve-racking.

You can do it! Stay off google!

Yes I feel a little better mentally now that I’m on day 3, hoping this does the trick. I’ll do my best to stay off google! Thank you!