PDA

View Full Version : I can see my ribs

funnygirl98
13-12-17, 16:18
Hey everyone it’s me again. Another weight loss scare. I’ve always been slim. Ever since I can remember. But I’ve noticed today that my ribs below my neck are a little more prominent. This scared me because I don’t remember being like that before. I’ve asked my mum and dad if I looked like I’ve lost weight and they said no. I’ve asked my aunt and she said no. I’ve booked a doctors appointment but I’ve got to wait like 4 weeks. I’m scared it’s like cancer or something. I do have anxiety and I have lost my appetite recently. But I’ve been eating fairly normal. Does anyone else get this?

Bigboyuk
13-12-17, 16:30
No, but seriously get you dr to do a BMI check on you and from this test he can tell you what weight you should be. Can I ask do you have a eating disorder atall? Obviously if you are under weight you would see your ribs. the test is painless and you will be ok, it's not cancer 100% but suggest you get help for your HA too :) ATB

O_O
13-12-17, 16:43
I'd just get your BMI checked and make sure you're not underweight. If you are, you can simply use an app to track your daily calories and make sure you eat a bit more. A glass of full fat milk is like 200 calories, so that's an easy way to get a bit down you.

Also, being able to see your ribs isn't necessarily a problem at all. In fact, you will be able to see the outline of the ribs and the collarbone on most people of a healthy weight. Obviously I don't mean to the point of looking skeletal, but a gentle outline should be quite clearly visible! Not much body fat is stored on the chest or neck area so it might actually be more of a problem if you COULDN'T see your ribs.

funnygirl98
13-12-17, 16:44
No I don’t have an eating disorder from what I know. Obviously when I breath in I can see my ribs and that’s because I’m slim and that’s normal for me. But I’ve never seen my ribs above my chest before. Tbh these are only really present when I stretch too. But still I have no idea what’s going on. But thank you for the advice. I’ll let my doctor know. :)

Fishmanpa
13-12-17, 16:51
Tbh these are only really present when I stretch too. But still I have no idea what’s going on.

Nothing is going on physically. You're slim and can see your ribs when you stretch. What's abnormal about that? :shrug: That being said, your reaction to a normal physical aspect of your body is what needs to be addressed. Are you getting help for your HA?

Positive thoughts

funnygirl98
13-12-17, 16:56
I am getting help for my anxiety. It’s more generalised anxiety. I worry about a bunch of things and my health is one of them. I know it’s normal for your ribs to show when you stretch but I’m talking below my neck. I just don’t remember them being there before.

snowflake293
13-12-17, 17:00
If it helps, I am a big girl and even I can still see my ribs when I breathe in. I think it is normal to see your ribs.

I am glad you are getting help for your anxiety. I suffer with anxiety, depression and health anxiety and CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) is the best thing I ever had for all of these things.

Have you got anyone who you can talk to like a friend/family member about your worries?

Fishmanpa
13-12-17, 17:02
I know it’s normal for your ribs to show when you stretch but I’m talking below my neck. I just don’t remember them being there before.

You don't remember your ribs are below your neck? :huh: Anyway.... I'm glad your seeking help with your anxiety. Does your therapist know you post on the forum? If not, it's imperative you discuss it as reassurance seeking will hinder your recovery.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

funnygirl98
13-12-17, 17:15
I’m not seeing a therapist at the moment. I’m on anti anxiety drugs to calm my symptoms. I will consider CBT when I next see my doctor as I’ve been on these for at least a few weeks now. And as for my ribs. No. I don’t remember them being that prominent before.