PDA

View Full Version : fear of Carbon Monoxide

murky.lexicon
14-12-17, 17:12
We're having a new hot water tank installed today and a new furnace tomorrow morning. I frequently worry about carbon monoxide but now that we're getting new equipment installed, my fear is going through the roof. I can't help but worry that something will be improperly installed and my whole family will die before we know something is wrong. I've been making myself sick for the last few days. So sick, in fact, that I already have many symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. I had the fire department to my house last night to check the air quality and it is fine.
Now I'm going to start worrying all over again as our new things are installed. I don't know what to do. It was bad enough to call out the fire department once when logically, I knew there was no problem. I can't call them back out here again. I don't know how to get through this and ensure the safety of my children.

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

I should mention that we have two carbon monoxide detectors in our house that appear to be in working order and neither has ever gone off.

Fishmanpa
14-12-17, 18:16
I should mention that we have two carbon monoxide detectors in our house that appear to be in working order and neither has ever gone off.

That's all you need to know :)

Positive thoughts

Bigboyuk
14-12-17, 18:47
Yes agree with Fishmanpa also there will be test buttons on these devices, so test them regulary and change the batteries every 12 months or when you get a audible low voltage warning (beep) ATB

murky.lexicon
14-12-17, 19:47
Reading my own post, I can see how over the top it sounds. Of course having three carbon monoxide detectors (I got an additional one this afternoon) should be enough to make me feel safe, given that there's such a slim chance of anything going wrong. I just wish I could actually feel safe. Why does this have to be so hard?

Darksky
14-12-17, 22:38
It's hard because anxiety is hard to live with. But with 3 detectors you will be fine. Triple fine. We had a log burner installed a couple of years back and the fitter insisted we have a carbon monoxide dectector fitted. It's been working fine ever since and never goes off.

As long as your tank was installed by a trusted and competant tradesman and your batteries are kept in good order you will be fine.

murky.lexicon
27-01-18, 01:56
Just an update on how this turned out....
We're still alive! I had the air quality in our house tested more times than I would like to admit and finally settled down, realizing that if we weren't sick yet, we weren't going to be. I feel really silly now, but that's the nature of anxiety, right? On to my next worry...
But thanks for the support, guys!

Bigboyuk
27-01-18, 12:03
Told ya so :) Seriously don't move on to the next worry just simply try and get help towards getting better :) ATB

Carys
27-01-18, 12:24
I applaud you for coming back and giving an honest and self-aware update. Not many do that here, and its to your credit that you have done so. Learn from it though...you can see how excessive your fear was of the Carbon Monoxide looking back....and try to limit reassurance (e.g. three detectors and lots of air quality checks) even though it feels uncomfortable to a bit less next time. Don't expect to go from loads of reassurance to none, that's quite hard, but say go to the level of 'two carbon monoxide detectors' - metaphor here :D.

Bigboyuk
27-01-18, 13:44
I do too, but the poster must now get proactive and start to make positive changes as they said move on to my next worry, which isn't encouraging really, reassurance from time to time is ok, but constantly is not a good thing and must be discouraged :) ATB

Carys
27-01-18, 13:50
....but the poster recognises the issue....and I believe one of the the easiest, and most achievable ways to deal with this is reduce the reassurance requirement bit by bit each time. You need to find a 'cut off point' before you take over doing your own reassurance and practice those skills. In cases like this, where reassurance is needed excessively that 'cut off point' has been lost.
I applied this to some OCD issues I had e.g. about checking a front door was locked for example.....I used to go back like 10 times.....so I gradually reduced it to less each time and very firmly told myself that 3 times was sufficient and forced myself to leave. Then next time twice and forced myself to leave, self-talking things like 'you are a sentient and sensible person, you can trust your eyes the 2 nd time you've looked'. I was even reversing back in the car because I didn't trust myself!
Just saying that sometimes BigBOy, its a case of slowly slowly catchy monkey and not expecting too much too soon.

Bigboyuk
27-01-18, 14:11
....but the poster recognises the issue....and I believe one of the the easiest, and most achievable ways to deal with this is reduce the reassurance requirement bit by bit each time. You need to find a 'cut off point' before you take over doing your own reassurance and practice those skills. In cases like this, where reassurance is needed excessively that 'cut off point' has been lost.
I applied this to some OCD issues I had e.g. about checking a front door was locked for example.....I used to go back like 10 times.....so I gradually reduced it to less each time and very firmly told myself that 3 times was sufficient and forced myself to leave. Then next time twice and forced myself to leave, self-talking things like 'you are a sentient and sensible person, you can trust your eyes the 2 nd time you've looked'. I was even reversing back in the car because I didn't trust myself!
Just saying that sometimes BigBOy, its a case of slowly slowly catchy monkey and not expecting too much too soon. Yes but straight away thinking about the next worry this is neither healthy thinking or healthy behaviour but in your case you are using the tools in place to gain a better prespective on your MH :) and yes I get that small steps are the way forward to a better MH :) ATB

Carys
27-01-18, 14:24
Yes, agreed, thinking about the next worry,and expecting one isn't a great way to go.