PDA

View Full Version : Heart palpitations and arrythmia, anxiety

panicked9
15-12-17, 02:50
Hi all

I am a 24 year old male, presumably healthy (a little bit overweight, around 26 BMI) and I have been getting palpitations, missed beats and the occasional arrhythmia for the past 3 months or so, so this is quite recent.

It started when I went to see a doctor to help with constipation problems along with those palpitations, he gave me a bunch of laxatives and told me to relax because it's probably just anxiety. I've been doing the breathing exercises and I've been improving my lifestyle a lot (I now walk 45 minutes to an hour every day, I climb stairs whenever possible and eat mostly fish nuts and fruits and haven't touched a sugary snack in weeks, lost a couple kilos so far).

But I still get the palpitations. One day it was so bad that I was able to feel my pulse beating irregularly for a good 4-5 seconds before speeding up and becoming regular again. I get random, ongoing chest pain (not squeezing, just mild, localized pangs of pain on the left side, repeatedly) and a tight throat and upper chest, mild dizziness and just general discomfort. Also random muscle twitches around the breastbone area, mostly left side but sometimes right side. There seems to be no correlation with exercise, I don't get any more or less discomfort when walking, which I guess is a good sign (although walking isn't exactly an intense workout).

Sometimes I go for a few days without having any issues and then one evening it just falls on me like a ton of bricks and I'm back to worrying that I'm going to die and stuff. On those days I'm okay when I wake up but then it's all downhill from there and there's no stopping it. I also get ridiculously stressed out with things that I would normally have no problem with, like fast-paced video games or things like that. It's like my body is hyperactive and the slightest event is enough to send it into overdrive.

It's been impacting my ability to function. I am considering going to see a cardiologist because the doctor is just going to say it's anxiety again.

What does everyone think? Does this look like anxiety to you? If so what are your coping mechanisms because I can't take it anymore :mad:

Thanks for reading and I look forward to reading your replies

---------- Post added at 02:50 ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 ----------

Also I went to the ER at one point and they saw 120bpm resting heart rate and one missed beat and they gave me this "lorazepam" drug that got it down straight away (it felt amazing) so they said it was just anxiety, but earlier the ambulance guy said he saw something weird on my ECG which is why they took me to the hospital to begin with, but they didn't tell me what and I forgot to ask :(. they did ECG blood tests urine sample and chest xray and just saw a distended stomach apparently

A relative gave me some "bromazepam" to take if I really needed it, I tried twice but it doesn't seem to help at all (compared to what they gave me at the hospital); maybe I'm just not taking enough but I don't want to become addicted!

ZigZag
15-12-17, 17:19
Hi, yes it is possible for anxiety to produce quite crazy symptoms, including rapid irregular pulse, chest pain, breathlessness.

When you were in ER and your resting pulse was 120bpm I guess you were feeling pretty stressed out at this point. 120bpm is not crazily high when your stressed. Mine has gone over 200bpm. I don't think 120 is abnormal.