PDA

View Full Version : Undiagnosed blood in PND

spitfire088
15-12-17, 02:46
I've always had post-nasal drip problems, but have never been concerned about that until around 4 months ago, when I started getting blood clot dripped down to my throat in the morning. It happened around once every 1-2 weeks (I would spit out 1 blood clot), the frequency increased to about once every 2-3 days, and I saw an ENT and got an endoscopy done. The doctor did not notice anything suspicious, but gave me some nasal spray to try, but the blood clot issue persisted. So I got an MRI and the report stated that I have minor sinusitis in my maxillary (left+right) and splenoid (left) sinuses, also have a minor deviated septum. I was prescribed a 1-week course of antibiotics (Augmentin) which had absolutely no effect, and the same thing continued (persistent post nasal drip problem, and blood clot in the morning every 2-3 days).

So I saw another ENT who did an endoscopy. He said I have Rhinitis, and gave me syringe-type nasal irrigation (saline), nasal spray, and some allergy medicine all of which was for the duration of 1 week. During that one week, all the symptoms seemed to have stopped. I was no longer getting any post nasal drip or the blood clot. I honestly felt a lot better during that one week because I no longer had to clear my throat every 10 minutes, because the nasal discharge no longer came down my throat. Then as soon as that one week of treatment was over, I started getting thick white mucus coming from my nose all the time, then after a week I started noticing the mucus from the left side of my nose became yellow, while the other side remained white. Then the yellow quickly became dark yellow, and very soon after that I got the post nasal drip again and at the same time there's no longer any discharge coming down from my nose. For a day, there was yellow mucus dripping down my throat with some blood in it (first time I saw the blood again after using the week of nasal irrigation).

The yellow mucus subsided. Right now, I'm getting mostly clear post nasal drip (lots of it) with a small amount of yellow within it, but sometimes accompanied by a tiny blood streak sometimes. I rarely get any discharge from my nose anymore, all of it drips down to my throat, but I no longer get those blood clots though. I'm still very concerned since there is still small amount of blood (tiny streaks of blood) within the clear PND.

I visited the ENT again yesterday and he said he could prescribe another 1 month of nasal irrigation, nasal spray and medicine etc... but the thing is I would really like to find the underlying cause of the symptoms rather than just trying to surpress it with medicine / nasal irrigation. Any advice?

poppy77
15-12-17, 07:30
Could you be getting acid reflux? That sometimes causes or exacerbates post nasal drip. Was it an endoscopy they did or a rhinoscopy? One goes down the throat all the way to the stomach and one goes down the nose to the back of the throat.

spitfire088
15-12-17, 09:30
I forgot to mention that since 2 days ago, I started experiencing discomfort swallowing, I wouldn't describe it as pain, but I feel this "pressure" / tightness in my throat.

---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 ----------

Could you be getting acid reflux? That sometimes causes or exacerbates post nasal drip. Was it an endoscopy they did or a rhinoscopy? One goes down the throat all the way to the stomach and one goes down the nose to the back of the throat.

I just read the symptoms of acid reflux, and a lot of it seem to align with what I'm experiencing. I got and endoscopy (the one that goes down the nose to the back of the throat), 3 times as a matter of fact... never had the rhinoscopy done...