PDA

View Full Version : Lymphoma

Hypopotamus
16-12-17, 14:40
Hi,
I have been battling with HA for all my life, I am almost forty now. But I have always been able to overcome it and get back to normal life maybe after a visit to the doctor just for reassurance.

This time i have been finding it hard, I started 6 months ago with a felling of a lump of something caught in the back of my throat, a little numbness in my face more like tingling. I went to the GP and did an ultrasound, a few lymph nodes where found but they were not big in any way to be worried about. For safety I was refereed to a ENG where he found a small asymmetry in the pharynx and he said for safety we'll do a CT to put your mind at rest. Any the CT came back all clear, but the radiologist said parts were unclear and recommended a MRI to be safe. That came back fine also. I went to another ENG for a second opinion and he has also told me that he can find nothing to be worried about.Got bloods done, all fine.
Symptoms have remained and I have developed nausea on top of it, I am not sleeping that well, the nodes have become painful (i keep touching them) I was given Trittico to help me sleep, not really working. Since then I have been back to the GP who had another look and found nothing too, got bloods done three months apart from the other again all fine. Went to a Neuro for the face and he also told me that he cant see anything clinical from his examinations and the MRI. So in total I have seen five doctors and all have told me that they can't find anything. Chest Xray and Gastro also done everything fine.
I am still worrying as I don't feel any better, in fact worse, I have expressed my fears of lymphoma (my mam died of it, also with a long string of doctors saying it was nothing till then found it) to the doctors and they say that there is nothing to indicate anything like that at the moment and that I am worrying to much, and suggested that I take to a counselor for my anxiety. Just would like to hear any opinions from the members here..

First post so Hello to everyone..

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

I would love some advise? Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 14:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

No takers? I would love some sort of advise.. or at least a perspective?
Thanks

NervUs
16-12-17, 14:59
Doubting findings that you don't have a disease is pretty much what hypochondriacs do. You have had 5 doctors say they find nothing wrong so, at this point, it becomes a matter of you choosing to believe it. That isn't easy b/c your brain wants the catastrophe rather than the good news. So, you will need to find ways of beating back the cancer thoughts when they pop up, whether that is redirecting yourself, distraction, doing an activity, mindfulness, whatever.

poppy77
16-12-17, 15:16
Hi!

I'm so sorry about what happened to your mum and I'm sure you agree that this had a trigger factor in your health anxiety. I'm sure the doctors know your family history and are being extra vigilant and extra sensitive to your worries, knowing that's what's probably at the back of your mind. If not, make sure they do know about your concerns and they can talk you through things like your anxiety over health and over recent test results to put your mind at rest.

For a condition like Lymphoma, your blood results would be flagging up as abnormal and you've had a few blood tests plus scans and other tests. Anxiety can cause weird feelings like numbness especially in areas off the body you are worrying about. I remember at the height of my health anxiety, one day, I felt that I could not walk down the stairs, that my legs were not functioning. It was all due to anxiety and a mini panic attack.

Go back to the doctors to discuss your fears and see if they can help with your anxiety.

EmmerLooeez
16-12-17, 16:07
Hey,

I am so very sorry that you lost your mum that way. If all of your tests have come back clear, then I truly think that this is health anxiety. Counselling could be a good idea. Are you taking any other medication for anxiety?

Hope you feel better soon xx

Hypopotamus
16-12-17, 16:08
Yeah, I know it is probably anxiety. The problem is my mams bloods were fine all the time, well that's what the doctors were telling us. It was only when she was really sick that they did further tests and found it.
Of course I am developing every symptom that she had, nausea, you name it.. which I suppose can be all put done to anxiety. I have another visit during the week for which I will be addressing the anxiety also. I really find this forum a great source of comfort, and thanks to those who replied.