PDA

View Full Version : Just had another panic attack! :(

Jamie1990
16-12-17, 16:55
I am so so tired of this.....

Just had another panic attack. The 2nd One in a week and what I don’t understand is this.... I’ve suffered with anxiety for years but never reached a full blown anxiety attack. I sought help for my anxiety weeks ago and since then have been on Citalopram and Propranolol and I feel WORSE!

I’m getting constant anxiety and even feeling depressed at times... and now I’m getting panic attacks?

My symptoms of panic attacks:
like a constant shake/tremble in my gut
Tight throat
Head expanding
Light headed
Feeling weak
Breathless

I’ve read and reread that Citalopram can make you worse before you get better but this is torture. I need relief, even for 5 minutes. Really in a sorry place right now and would appreciate any response just to know I’m not alone. So difficult to explain my feelings to my friends and family when they can’t feel it.

ankietyjoe
16-12-17, 19:10
Honestly, the best thing you can do is just let them be.

Personally, I don't believe medication is the answer, others will disagree.

The moment I learned that I can just let the panic attack be, accept it and let them pass, they really stopped being a problem.

Panic attacks end up becoming their own cause, in my opinion.

hinged
20-12-17, 21:28
I had a panic attack in a shop today. A shop I had been in many times before. It was a familiar setting. Nothing unusual.

It was a "I'm going to faint" attack. I bought the goods and got out of the shop. Quite soon after leaving the shop the attack went away.

The pain of the muscle tension is still with me.

Going through a bad spell just now.

I know, at times, I bring these on myself. So going to the shops becomes a problem. Then it subsides and I go a long period when nothing happens. I think I'm over it, and then crash, bang, wallop it comes back.

AdamUK
06-01-18, 11:38
Totally agree with akietyjoe to accept it and let them pass.

of course if your real anxious then even using a simple plan to reduce anxiety is going to be difficult so best thing is to prepare before the attack comes on.

Setup a plan and work on learning techniques such as acceptance and letting panic attacks pass when your feeling better and not too anxious.

Following the plan akietyjoe suggested would mean you need to KNOW the panic attack is not going to hurt you and is going to go.

BE in a place where your able to keep calm in the middle of an attack. (i know that makes no sense beacause your panicing. How do you keep calm?) But relaxation techniques can help and also meditation can help.

Again prepare by having a plan and practicing the plan when not anxious so it's second nature to use it when you suffer a panic attack in the future.

Don't beat yourself up about it, anxiety is a physical reaction to stress and not your fault.

Iceman338
07-01-18, 02:34
BE in a place where your able to keep calm in the middle of an attack. (i .

Hi there!

Mine happen in specific social situations (asked certain questions, cannot find right word, etc.). I cannot "breathe" through mine. They only last a minute, but the fear of the fear --- the embarrassment. My mind literally goes blank (cannot speak, face heart rate, etc.). No way to practice. It's not like you're in a non-social situation where your can practice mindful meditation through it. I beat myself up over it. It's a learned pattern ingrained in the mind (amygdala)

I do mindful meditation - it helps me in everyday life but it doesn't stop my panic attacks in certain social situations.

I am getting therapy next week. It's my last hope.

ankietyjoe
07-01-18, 13:00
Hi there!

Mine happen in specific social situations (asked certain questions, cannot find right word, etc.). I cannot "breathe" through mine. They only last a minute, but the fear of the fear --- the embarrassment. My mind literally goes blank (cannot speak, face heart rate, etc.). No way to practice. It's not like you're in a non-social situation where your can practice mindful meditation through it. I beat myself up over it. It's a learned pattern ingrained in the mind (amygdala)

I do mindful meditation - it helps me in everyday life but it doesn't stop my panic attacks in certain social situations.

I don't believe that's the goal, not in the short term anyway.

The goal is that acceptance. Trying to stop the panic attack is the feedback loop, because you begin to fear fear itself. If you just allow the panic attack to be (even if you feel like utter shite), your brain will eventually learn not to respond/react to them. As you mentioned, it's a learned behaviour that CAN be unlearned over time.

Iceman338
07-01-18, 16:36
I don't believe that's the goal, not in the short term anyway.

The goal is that acceptance. Trying to stop the panic attack is the feedback loop, because you begin to fear fear itself. If you just allow the panic attack to be (even if you feel like utter shite), your brain will eventually learn not to respond/react to them. As you mentioned, it's a learned behaviour that CAN be unlearned over time.

Thank you for your message.

I felt calmer when I meditated every day for 20-40 minutes.

Depends on my mood on comfort level around others. There are times when the same scenario may not trigger a full-blown panic attack. But when the conditions are just right - boom!

It's the embarrassment of the attack. What is the person asking me questions now thinking? They think I'm crazy. How can I escape? When I start to get a fast heartbeat and can't even think straight, how do I answer their questions. They will ask me if something is wrong. And strangely, my mind only reacts like this in 2-3 scenarios: When asked about what I do for a living; my educational background/aventures travels; job interviews when unexpected questions arise. I sometimes panic around certain kinds of people if I tell a story if I cannot find the right word, but I can deal with that one somehow (maybe got slightly better in this regard).

Yes, it's learned behavior. It's fear of the fear. I don't know how to break the vicious cycle. I am starting a therapy session this coming Tuesday.

I only take herbs for anxiety, but I won't take prescription meds. I've tried benzos - they just don't help, only cause fatigue. I want to get at the root of the problem. Meds won't do that.

ankietyjoe
07-01-18, 19:18
Thank you for your message.

I felt calmer when I meditated every day for 20-40 minutes.

Depends on my mood on comfort level around others. There are times when the same scenario may not trigger a full-blown panic attack. But when the conditions are just right - boom!

It's the embarrassment of the attack. What is the person asking me questions now thinking? They think I'm crazy. How can I escape? When I start to get a fast heartbeat and can't even think straight, how do I answer their questions. They will ask me if something is wrong. And strangely, my mind only reacts like this in 2-3 scenarios: When asked about what I do for a living; my educational background/aventures travels; job interviews when unexpected questions arise. I sometimes panic around certain kinds of people if I tell a story if I cannot find the right word, but I can deal with that one somehow (maybe got slightly better in this regard).

Yes, it's learned behavior. It's fear of the fear. I don't know how to break the vicious cycle. I am starting a therapy session this coming Tuesday.

I only take herbs for anxiety, but I won't take prescription meds. I've tried benzos - they just don't help, only cause fatigue. I want to get at the root of the problem. Meds won't do that.

Everything you say there is very familiar to me.

I firmly believe that the majority of the root of the problem is learned, habitual behaviour. It's only with practice NOT doing those things that we can overcome anxiety.

Meditation was the main tool for me. I think there's a misconception that meditation is about being relaxed, when in reality it's not. Meditation is about just being in this moment, and accepting things the way they are, no matter how good or bad they might be.

Iceman338
08-01-18, 18:01
Everything you say there is very familiar to me.

I firmly believe that the majority of the root of the problem is learned, habitual behaviour. It's only with practice NOT doing those things that we can overcome anxiety.

Meditation was the main tool for me. I think there's a misconception that meditation is about being relaxed, when in reality it's not. Meditation is about just being in this moment, and accepting things the way they are, no matter how good or bad they might be.

Thank you for your reply.

How do you practice having panic attacks in certain situations. People with think your crazy. That's part of the vicious cycle: fear of the fear, which is fear of looking like you're crazy, or making the other person feel that he or she is crazy for conversing with you.

I am going back to breathing meditations 20-40 minutes/day. Yes, meditation is really about relaxation - but rather seeing things as they really are. This, in turn, helps you to be a much calmer person overall.

I can only do what I can do. My panic attacks happen in bizarre situations like my mind is playing nasty tricks on me. Why those questions trigger it? I have no idea. It's insanity. :whistles: I was never like this years ago.

AdamUK
10-01-18, 10:32
Bit deep for a wednesday morning :doh:
But to reinforce meditation not being about relaxation..

I used it effectively to resolve generalised anxiety. Meditation helped me see anxiety as a seperate entity to my core being. The anxiety was only there as a direct response to some trauma i went through. So I did meditation and asked the anxiety questions and spent time with it just letting it be in me and guess what.. The anxiety disapeared eventually.

ankietyjoe
10-01-18, 11:45
Bit deep for a wednesday morning :doh:
But to reinforce meditation not being about relaxation..

I used it effectively to resolve generalised anxiety. Meditation helped me see anxiety as a seperate entity to my core being. The anxiety was only there as a direct response to some trauma i went through. So I did meditation and asked the anxiety questions and spent time with it just letting it be in me and guess what.. The anxiety disapeared eventually.

Pretty much the same as my experience with it. I think the issue that most people have is that it 'doesn't work' straight away. It's something that takes time and practice.

Personally, I don't think it's possible for it not to work if applied correctly. You're using meditation to undertake a basic biologic process, using neuroplasticity to rewire your brain. If it ain't working, it's because you're not doing it right, just like I didn't do it right for months before it clicked. Of course there are those that will strongly disagree.

There are Buddhist temples that offer 3 year retreats, because they know sometimes it'll take that long to recover from what is often several years of build up to an anxious mind.

fishman65
10-01-18, 19:22
Just jumping in here, how do you guys meditate? Is it simply following some of the many videos on youtube? My anxiety patterns have changed in recent months, a lot more depersonalisation now. In the queue at co-op I felt I was floating and it triggered a panic.

AdamUK
10-01-18, 21:37
I read books more then anything.
I can't remember the ones about meditation practices but their are loads of good ones out there. Maybe ankietyjoe can recommend some?

But two books which really helped with explaining how to deal with anxiety using meditation are 'towards a psychology of awakening' by John welwood. And 'felt sense' by eugene grenlin.

ankietyjoe
10-01-18, 22:26
Just jumping in here, how do you guys meditate? Is it simply following some of the many videos on youtube? My anxiety patterns have changed in recent months, a lot more depersonalisation now. In the queue at co-op I felt I was floating and it triggered a panic.

I try and keep meditation as simple as possible. I use mindfulness meditation, simply focusing on one object. Usually your breathing.

It doesn't matter if your mind wanders, it will. It always will. It's that practice of gently re-focusing that brings 'the cure'.

I would recommend watching this guy on Youtube :-

https://www.youtube.com/user/MingyurRinpoche/videos

I usually meditate at night after the kids have gone to bed, to a timer. I still don't meditate more than about 15-20 minutes, I find that's enough.

If I'm feeling particularly stressed I might find a couple of guided meditations on Youtube, although the majority of them tend to be pretty new age, flowery music in the background and a voice that's drenched in distracting reverb. For me that tends to focus the mind on what I'm hearing, rather than what I'm trying to do.

The crux of meditation is to learn how to react when faced with a stimulus. You feeling spaced out in a supermarket queue is a perfect example (and one that's very, VERY familiar to me!!). Queue's used to be the worst!

It's that transition between stimulus (feeling your heart race, feeling dizzy, feeling nauseous etc) and your response (panic, internal worry, adrenaline spikes) that meditation targets. It's like a little ambassador that says 'woah....it's cool'. :yesyes:

fishman65
11-01-18, 15:30
Thanks for that Joe, I'm feeling particularly spaced out today, obsessing over my vision, unreality etc. Will take a look at the link, thank you.

Iceman338
13-01-18, 01:31
Thanks for that Joe, I'm feeling particularly spaced out today, obsessing over my vision, unreality etc. Will take a look at the link, thank you.

Interestingly, I have depersonalisation in the morning when I get up. My house and family all seem foreign to me. My home also appears extremely small as if I am a giant living in this tiny, tiny house. I just laugh about it now. It used to be much more severe.

Meditation and all the other things I've done have helped me realize that it is just anxiety playing tricks on me. I've gotten much better on this front. It's still there a little bit, but someday it will be gone forever. The key over time is to "just accept" the uncomfortable feelings and see them as just feelings. You are not them.

I need to get back to my strict meditation routine. It is definitely key.

I am seeing a therapist for panic attacks over very "silly" things that happen in social situations.

I have the strongest of faith that my therapist + meditation + relaxation (healthy lifestyle) will eventually liberate me into seeing my "true nature." In the meantime, I welcome all the nervousness I feel. I have all the space in the world for it. It will go when my mind becomes much more awakened.

ankietyjoe
13-01-18, 12:58
Interestingly, I have depersonalisation in the morning when I get up. My house and family all seem foreign to me. My home also appears extremely small as if I am a giant living in this tiny, tiny house. I just laugh about it now. It used to be much more severe.

Meditation and all the other things I've done have helped me realize that it is just anxiety playing tricks on me. I've gotten much better on this front. It's still there a little bit, but someday it will be gone forever. The key over time is to "just accept" the uncomfortable feelings and see them as just feelings. You are not them.

I need to get back to my strict meditation routine. It is definitely key.

I am seeing a therapist for panic attacks over very "silly" things that happen in social situations.

I have the strongest of faith that my therapist + meditation + relaxation (healthy lifestyle) will eventually liberate me into seeing my "true nature." In the meantime, I welcome all the nervousness I feel. I have all the space in the world for it. It will go when my mind becomes much more awakened.

This point is often overlooked by anxiety sufferers in my opinion.

It's easy to get used to rushing around, tutting and sighing at everything, eating crap food, drinking too much alcohol, smoking/vaping, not getting enough rest etc.

All these things are perceived by the mind/body as stress and WILL exacerbate anxiety.

I think people often want the symptoms to go away, without looking at the lifestyle choices that got them there. Myself included in the past.

The modern image of being reeeeeally busy as some kind of badge of honour is detrimental to health.

Iceman338
14-01-18, 02:23
The modern image of being reeeeeally busy as some kind of badge of honour is detrimental to health.

Isn't that the truth!:yesyes:

AndrewCanada
29-01-18, 18:37
Thank you for your reply.

How do you practice having panic attacks in certain situations. People with think your crazy. That's part of the vicious cycle: fear of the fear, which is fear of looking like you're crazy, or making the other person feel that he or she is crazy for conversing with you.

I am going back to breathing meditations 20-40 minutes/day. Yes, meditation is really about relaxation - but rather seeing things as they really are. This, in turn, helps you to be a much calmer person overall.

I can only do what I can do. My panic attacks happen in bizarre situations like my mind is playing nasty tricks on me. Why those questions trigger it? I have no idea. It's insanity. :whistles: I was never like this years ago.

For me it's been finding a support network of people who accept you despite the anxiety. There are numerous groups in areas that you can join and make some friends. Or, if you have a supportive family and/or some friends, it's a good idea to be honest with them and let them know. I've taught my wife breathing exercises and grounding exercises so she can help ground me during a panic attack.

Iceman338
30-01-18, 00:42
For me it's been finding a support network of people who accept you despite the anxiety. There are numerous groups in areas that you can join and make some friends. Or, if you have a supportive family and/or some friends, it's a good idea to be honest with them and let them know. I've taught my wife breathing exercises and grounding exercises so she can help ground me during a panic attack.

Thank you for your reply.:)

A lot of people shrug off your panic or nervousness as it's just "no big deal." In other words, "just stop being like that and move on." Well, we all know that kind of reaction only can make a panic attack sufferer/anxiety sufferer worse.

Yes, I agree: it is a very important to have a one or two people around who really understand you and support you 100%. I have a two or three people. One of them, in fact, has suffered with panic attacks, but not in social situations like me.

I made some typos is in my last post. It should read that "meditation is NOT really about relaxation in and of itself; it's a means to become a calmer person from seeing reality for what it really is."