PDA

View Full Version : Death Phobia

Myfanwy
24-06-07, 22:09
Hi,

My name is Myf. I have had agoraphobia and depression for nearly 15 years. I am also terrified of death. As another member posted (I think it was Kathy) I am afraid that time is passing by too quickly and one day I will no longer exist. When I read that post I burst into tears as it is exactly how I feel. I want to live forever.

My teenage sister died because of medical negligence 15 years ago. I was 20 at the time. I have been on antidepressants since she died. I stopped takihg them in January this year. I have also been taking Xanax for a few years. I have just put myself back on Effexor and Xanax as I can no longer cope without them. I see a pyschiatrist approximately once a month. Other than him I have noone to discuss my fear/terror of death with.

Any suggestions welcome,

Thank you,
Myf

kazzie
24-06-07, 22:15
Hi There:D

What country are you in could I ask??

I have some suggestions but if you are not uk resident then they may not be relevant!!!:yesyes:

Luv Kaz x x x

Myfanwy
24-06-07, 22:29
Hi Kaz,

I'm from Australia.

Thanks,
Myf

belle
24-06-07, 22:57
Hi and welcome!

I hope you find all the support and advice you need here...

x

kazzie
24-06-07, 23:22
Hi Again

I have a similar thing and im doing a CBT course

My advice would be to enquire via doctor if this is available in oz!!!

Its called cognitive behaviour therapy and works well for this sort of prob

It basically re wires your brain to think differently sounds scarey i know but its not and ts reallly good

My probs were caused by elderly parents who died when i was quite young.....see the connection????

Here for you anytime

Luv Kaz x x x:hugs:

Lindalou64
24-06-07, 23:30
Hi Myf Welcome Hope You Can Find The Help You Been Seeking For.......linda

manmoor
25-06-07, 07:58
Hi Myf,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

Zanxiety
25-06-07, 11:01
Greetings Myfanwy, and welcome to the most supportive and most friendliest, and most amazing anxiety forum to exist. I fully understand your time thought and death phobia as I have too get the constant thought that time seems like it's going too slow or too quick and that I can't control it. Just try to remember these are just thoughts which cannot harm you in any way no matter how threatening the seem. I know what you mean about living forever and that would cool if we could, but unfortunetly death is something we just have to accept. A least when we die, we go to heaven to have an eternal life. That's what I believe and hope anyway.

You've done the right thing coming on here talking about your problems as we'll be albe to help you and hopefully start recovering too.

From Zanxiety.:shades:

honeybee3939
25-06-07, 11:05
Hi

And welcome to NMP, im sure you will get some great support, advice and make new friends too.:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

groovygranny
26-06-07, 20:41
Hello Myf, :welcome:to you!

Plenty of people here to talk to, we're all here for each other :)

Pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

Southern_Belle
26-06-07, 21:37
Hi Myf,

Welcome to the forum. You will find many here who feel like you do. You will also find tons of support. Try to live in the moment or the present (so much more difficult to do than say) but it helps.

Laura

nomorepanic
26-06-07, 21:40
Hi Myf

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help and support and you meet some fab people here.

Pink Princess
27-06-07, 23:36
hi and welcome to the site, you will find a lot of good advice and support here and make many friends along the way. hope to talk soon, take kare xxxxxx

spiral
30-06-07, 12:46
I know exactly the feeling you mean. I get all scared of dying then i think about living forever and then i become terrified if living forever. Lol. Actually i don't feel this way very often anymore but i did go for a stage of going through that process at least 4 times a day. I don't know what sparked the phobia off I've remember crying about it when i was about 5 and i can't remember being any other way. Sometimes i wish i was religious so death wouldn't seem so scary. It helps to keep busy and everytime the thoughts pop into my head i just have to refuse to think about them. I probably only have these thoughts once or twice a month now so i'm sure you can beat the obbsession too.

spiral
30-06-07, 12:50
Btw for some reason even tho i'm a very open person i find my death phobia hard to talk about in real life, not even my partner of 6 years knows. I think i must be embarrassed about it even tho no other subject is taboo (much to my partners embarassment lol)