PDA

View Full Version : DCI - DVT ,scared

Rootytooty
18-12-17, 14:11
Hi All

Well, after managing to keep my health anxiety in check for a good while, here I am back again.

So, I went scuba diving on Saturday. It was cold and I had a new thermal under suit. Thing is, it was a onesie type, and it wasn't a good fit, I felt very restricted in it.

We did two dives, neither particularly deep (20, then 12 metres), but I did get cramp in both of my calves whilst on the dive, which was relieved by straightening my legs.

Yesterday I was out all day shopping, then came back to slump in front of the TV.. I noticed that the backs of my calves, behind my knees felt tight and painful., especially when I flexed my feet. I already have plantar facilitis (?) too, so getting up was quite painful. It sent me into panic mode, thinking I have got the bends.

I rang the dive centre, and talked to a very nice man, told him all about the die, how long, how deep, safety stops etc (As well as he undersuit). He thought that it was extremely unlikely that I had DCI, but then asked questions about possible DVT. Now I am super panicking.

This morning I felt better , pain has eased, but seem to have other random pains in different joints, occasional sharp pains in my chest, and even awoke to acid reflux. So, I rang the online GP I have access to via my health insurance.

I answered her questions about swelling (no), redness (no), heat radiating from calves (no), shortness of breath (no).

She concluded that I'm fine.

But I can't help feeling that I may be on course for an embolism, and will be heaping misery on my two daughters, by dropping dead. I'm on my own, they are due home from Uni this week.

Can anyone help me to get through this please? I am hoping all the symptoms trivial and/or anxiety based,

thank you for reading

---------- Post added at 14:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

Oh, yes, and while I was shopping yesterday. I got a message that a friend of mine has had a stroke. He is only 59 and super fit, so I think the shock of that has had an effect too?

Rootytooty
18-12-17, 21:53
Anyone, please :-(?

Fishmanpa
18-12-17, 22:07
I rang the online GP I have access to via my health insurance.

I answered her questions about swelling (no), redness (no), heat radiating from calves (no), shortness of breath (no).

She concluded that I'm fine.

Can anyone help me to get through this please?

Sorry about your friend. The above is all you need to know.

Positive thoughts

Rootytooty
19-12-17, 18:26
thank you for your reply Fishmanpa, it means a lot.

The pain has subsided, but I have been getting a lot of pains in my joints and muscles, and pins and needles too. Feels a bit like carpal tunnel syndrome (although its all over rather than just hands and wrists).

Do you think they could all be anxiety based?

The last time I felt this bad was when m Dad was diagnosed with cancer. I was getting loads of palpitations then. Had a 48 ECG which came back okay. that was last Feb

I hate being like this.

thank you again :flowers:

Rootytooty
20-12-17, 16:26
So,

I rang the dive centre again, as the painful joints was troubling me. Very nice man said it was the right thing to do. Referred to their chief medical expert and based on my dive profile, it was definitely not decompression sickness. He mentioned again about possibility of DVT and said if I have any swelling. redness or pain in calves, or shortness of breath I should not delay and go to the walk in centre at the hospital.

Now I can't relax, constantly checking, worrying about every pain etc. Trying to resist the temptation to go to walk in centre anyway. :-(

I have decided to give up scuba diving. This level of anxiety just robs me of all the pleasure of the sport. Its one thing to do things with a dangerous element to it, but one that lasts for days after the actual event? I'm just not mentally strong enough for it , it seems.

Fishmanpa
20-12-17, 16:45
I have decided to give up scuba diving. This level of anxiety just robs me of all the pleasure of the sport.

So you're allowing your anxiety to deprive you of something you've obviously enjoyed for many years? :weep:

Why not say FU to your anxiety and get real life help? Don't allow it to rob you of your life! Download the free CBT course (http://cbt4panic.org/) as well as the worksheets in the STICKY (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211324) and start working on yourself.

Positive thoughts

Rootytooty
20-12-17, 17:08
hi FishmanPa

I know you are absolutely right, and I will do the CBT, but not sure if it will help me, as I have other thought processes which I have.

The thing is, that I have such a huge guilt complex, that I feel like I am going to get something because I deserve it. I wore a too tight undersuit, I took part in a dangerous sport, selfish, and now I am going to be punished, and my children are going to pay the price.

If I ever try to enjoy myself or have a life, I will be punished, as I don't deserve it.

I feel bad writing that, as people who get ill are not bad people, even that makes me feel guilty.:weep:

---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

do you think the CBT can help with that?

Fishmanpa
20-12-17, 17:11

From my Positive Thoughts thread... today's thought...

"There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will."

- Epictetus (55AD - 135AD)
Stoic philosopher

Positive thoughts

robinhall
20-12-17, 17:14
hi FishmanPa

I know you are absolutely right, and I will do the CBT, but not sure if it will help me, as I have other thought processes which I have.

The thing is, that I have such a huge guilt complex, that I feel like I am going to get something because I deserve it. I wore a too tight undersuit, I took part in a dangerous sport, selfish, and now I am going to be punished, and my children are going to pay the price.

If I ever try to enjoy myself or have a life, I will be punished, as I don't deserve it.

I feel bad writing that, as people who get ill are not bad people, even that makes me feel guilty.:weep:

---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Hi
I think you really need one on one CBT but have a look at a book called 'reinventing Your Life by Jeffrey Young - I think you will find it very helpful

Rootytooty
20-12-17, 18:07
Thank you both, for taking the time to reply.

I immediately looked up that book. I read the sample page about Life Traps and now I am unable to stop the tears flowing.

thank you, I will work through it, and do the CBT online. No-one knows how I am inside, so getting 1 2 1 would be difficult.

thank you again.

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

Thank you both, for taking the time to reply.

I immediately looked up that book. I read the sample page about Life Traps and now I am unable to stop the tears flowing.

thank you, I will work through it, and do the CBT online. No-one knows how I am inside, so getting 1 2 1 would be difficult.

thank you again.

Rootytooty
22-12-17, 11:20
Hi,

Why can' I shake this off? After I posted the above, I started getting pains in my chest, low down towards the bottom left of my rib cage. So I dialed 111 to ask whether I should attend the out of hours clinic. I talked through with the responder and she insisted I have an ambulance, and immediately take some aspirin.

So, I did. Felt terrible that they were sending an ambulance. Very nice ambulance people came, took my stats, bp fine, pulse & sats fine. Took an ecg which they were happy with.

They said my risk score for DVT was -2! Anyway, they said I could go to the walk in and ask for a d dimer test, although they were not particularly worried.

I did that, they took 3 vials of blood, and when I got my results they said it was fine. I was overjoyed.

Then last night I was awoken by sharp intermittent pains in my right groin. So, I started to panic all over again. Feels better this morning, but still getting twinges and aches all over, especially legs, toes and fingers..

I am so exhausted with all of this, I just want to stop my brain. But it won't. I will start the CBT today, but I feel beyond hope . I am posting here, because I have no-one to talk to at all. :weep:

Rootytooty
22-12-17, 21:30
Is the d dimer test reliable? I am still having odd feelings in my legs. Twitching , bubbling feelings, hard to explain. Like something is moving inside my legs