PDA

View Full Version : Fluey cold cough virus

countrygirl
20-12-17, 16:21
I woke up yesterday morning with an awful cough and streaming nose and sore throat and by end of day I had a mild temperature and my heartbeat is around 100 all the time. My temp went up overnight and is about 1 degree higher than I normally am and I have alot of sinus and head pain as well as a nasty cough that hurts.
whats worrying me is the constant fast heartbeat. I know that if you are ill and or have any fever the body naturally raised heartbeat to get the blood cirulcating better but it always freaks me out when it does this.
Does anyone else get the fast heartbeat whenthey are ill with a virus?

Fishmanpa
20-12-17, 16:31
Sorry you caught the "crud" :( Common sense here. Plenty of fluids, rest and OTC remedies if needed. Totally normal for our hearts to work a little harder when we're battling an illness.

Feel better soon!

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
20-12-17, 19:16
That heart rate is absolutely fine with a fever. It's probably being fuelled by you thinking about it too, I know mine does when I have a fever!

Mine was well over 90 for days when I had the same thing a couple of weeks back, often much higher if I woke up in the middle of the night.

countrygirl
20-12-17, 20:44
Thanks both. My temp has gone up today to 37.7c and the shivers and pains have got worse. Reading on here it seems as if there is alot of flu things about. My health anxiety has already diagnosed the virus has gone to my heart ( fast heartbeat) and the pain in my back and chest are pneumonia!!

I am having to stop myself from constantly temp checking all day. I will be alot happier when my temp goes back to normal. My husband had pneumonia many years ago from what started out as a virus so am hyper aware!

ankietyjoe
21-12-17, 00:06
37.7degC is barely above normal.

This is really one of those occasions where (and it's always easy to say it to somebody else! :D) that you just need to stop checking things and let it be.

You're ill, you'll get better.

Watch some Tipping Point, while you can :yesyes:

countrygirl
21-12-17, 12:32
37.7degC is barely above normal.

This is really one of those occasions where (and it's always easy to say it to somebody else! :D) that you just need to stop checking things and let it be.

You're ill, you'll get better.

Watch some Tipping Point, while you can :yesyes:

Thank you I need to be reminded of what normal people do:D
what happened this morning is typical health anxiety stuff. My temp had gone up to 38.3 ( my normal is between 36.9 and 37.2) and when i got out of bed this morning after a night of agonising sore throat when I coughed or swallowed I opened my mouth and had a bright red tongue.
I diagnosed myself instantly with either strep throat or scarlet fever:winks:
Got appt at my Dr;s this morning and realised that the bright red tongue was fading and by time I saw Dr it was barely there. Dr gave me a good going over, throat, ears, glands, chest, oxygen levels etc and said all was viral and no sign of any bacterial infection and no sigh of strep throat or scarlet fever and they had had a notice about a mild form of flu sweeping the country. My temp was 37.7 like yesterday and it goes up at teatime to 38.5. She reassured me that my constant 100bpm pulse was due to the temp and being unwell. She said if I was still ill with a temp by next wed after the xmas break to come back for bloodtests but she expected my temp to go down in 5-7 days.
So all checked out. On the way home my husband said to me " did you suck any strepsil in the night" these throat sweets are pale red in colour. Ohhhh no my red tongue was due to me sucking a strepsil at 2.30am we think, how embarrasing.

ankietyjoe
21-12-17, 12:45
Acceptance is key, there's nothing you can really do to speed up the viral process. Paracetamol will reduce the symptoms a bit, that's it.

I've been where you are now, it's not a pleasant feeling. Checking heart rate every minute or so.

I used mantras such as 'this will pass, in a few days I'll be better again'. It's surprisingly effective when you say it to yourself over and over again. Say it calmly.

countrygirl
21-12-17, 14:01
Trouble is every time I check my temp and today its higher than yesterday and I can tell as I am shivery all the time I then panic as its getting higher. Yesterday it was 38.3 at its highest but today its already 38.0 and will get higher late afternoon.

I know I should just accept its some yukky flu virus but no one else seems to have been affected as badly as I am with the raised temperature. My friend is on the mend.

Does not help that there is no gp surgery for 4 days over xmas!

ankietyjoe
21-12-17, 14:49
I had it 3 times over ten weeks. I still have a cough 10 weeks later.

My youngest son (3) had it for two weeks solid, his temperature peaked at 39.6degC. My eldest (9) had it for about 10 days, well over 38degC at night and throwing up/heaving cough.

There is something nasty going around, really nasty. It doesn't matter how your friends are getting on, it matters how you are doing, and your symptoms are WELL within the realms of normal range for somebody with a virus.

countrygirl
21-12-17, 15:29
I had it 3 times over ten weeks. I still have a cough 10 weeks later.

My youngest son (3) had it for two weeks solid, his temperature peaked at 39.6degC. My eldest (9) had it for about 10 days, well over 38degC at night and throwing up/heaving cough.

There is something nasty going around, really nasty. It doesn't matter how your friends are getting on, it matters how you are doing, and your symptoms are WELL within the realms of normal range for somebody with a virus.

Thank you yes I agree I am normal for a nasty virus. I need to stop catastrophising the what if i don't get better!

Of course having health anxiety means I have the means to take my temp:winks:. another friend is saying she feels very hot and clammy for 2 days rather than cold and shivery but she doens't have anymeans of taking her temp so she probably has temp as well! She also does not have bp machine tomeasure her pulse:winks:

ankietyjoe
21-12-17, 16:23
She also does not have bp machine tomeasure her pulse:winks:

And even if she did, I bet she wouldn't :winks:

My misses had the virus too btw, she was waking up at night with her HR way, way over 100bpm. It's just the way it is with an infection.

Honestly though, just let it be. As hard as it is, just let it be. There's nothing you can do about it, and you're just exacerbating symptoms by checking all the time.

goodman
21-12-17, 21:00
The Flu Vaccine here in Australia this winter just gone didnt work as well as the A strain changed or mutated from what it was vaccinated against to a different strain come winter... apparently it happens every 10 or so years.... so if you were vaccinated 2-3 months ago before your winter there will be lots going around.... Elderberry is good to boost your immune system. Rest up.

countrygirl
21-12-17, 21:30
I don't think it's full blown flu as i can get out of bed. But def a nasty fluey virus. It started 3 days ago and had the temperature for 2 days but temp does seem to be going up rather than down! I hate the constant shivery feeling. I havent had the flu jab.

countrygirl
22-12-17, 12:29
I am getting so much worse which is scaring me. This morning when i tried to get out of bed i kept fainting or very close to faint with no vision. Took 20 mins before i could get off the floor. My temp is higher and my pulse is now constantly at 110bpm. My bp which i took once i could see again was 98/72 so must have been lower. I have been having dizziness ebery morning on getting out of bed since this started. I am seeing the dr again this morning because i am so scared. Other people who got the cough and cold at same time as me havent got the temp.
Of course the constantly fast heartbeat is making me think the virus has given me cardiomyopathy!!

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 ----------

Saw dr and she checked me over thoroughly. Sais they are this week seeing alot of people like me with flu like symptoms. To early to say how long temp will last but expect 7 days. My faint would be due to low bp due to virus and probably dehydration and need to not leap out of bed when have a temp. She was reassuring about my fastheartbeat. I admitted what i was worried about(cardiomyopathy) but she said other than fast at constant 110 bpm it was fine.
Have to go back on wed if still have temp.
I am no good at being properly ill!

Ruby777
22-12-17, 21:06
Hi country girl ,

Sorry to hear you are still feeling ill today but I'm glad you saw the GP that probably gave you some reassurance . I'm on day 8 of this flu and I m still not feeling good . I don't have fever anymore but I feel dizzy and nauseous . Today I went to work ( for the first time since all of this started ) and I literally felt horrible ..waves of dizziness , no energy , sweating for no reason . I am thinking to take another appt with the doctor soon . I have a hard time eating because I always feel sick . Now I ve started googling rare conditions that mimic the flu ��

countrygirl
22-12-17, 21:23
Oh ruby thats not nice. Glad your fever has gone. I have nil appetite. Flu takes many weeks to recover from so its early days for you yet.
The dizziness is for me worst when i get out of bed and have had it all week . The fainting was a surprise and hope i dont get it again. The virus plays havoc with all our body systems

Darwin73
23-12-17, 00:09
I’ve come down with this thing today as well. It started last Saturday with a sore throat and runny nose and I was actually pleased because I usually suffer really badly from colds (5 boxes of tissues in 2 days normally!) and the cold symptoms didn’t progress as usual and I thought I was fighting it off. Today I got up and all my joints and muscles ached, I was freezing then hot and I couldn’t get off the sofa. I’ve taken paracetamol but no effect as yet. I really hope it doesn’t drag on into Christmas as I’m supposed to be travelling round the country with my children and at the moment I can’t even walk into the kitchen without wanting to lie down:mad:The house is a tip and I don’t feel at all Christmassy. Hopefully, we will all feel better soon:)

cattia
23-12-17, 08:26
I'm on day 6 here and no better, I've started to feel like this is going to last forever. So much for the Christmas holidays :(

countrygirl
23-12-17, 08:35
Well day5 for me. My temp isnt as high as it was but still up nearly a degree on my usual temp. My cough is horrendous and losing my voice. Head totally bunged solid. The worst is that once again this morning after i got out of bed i went very faint again but laid on the floor and it passed. Bp low again
My bp seems to be fluctuating massively up and down which is not usual. Blooming flu virus!
My husband has started with cough and runny nose but no temp yet..

ankietyjoe
23-12-17, 09:20
Stop....checking.......

It is what it is.

Watch TV, sleep....

Ruby777
23-12-17, 09:25
Any of you have any gastrointestinal symptoms with this flu as well?? I feel nauseous and can't hardly eat. My fever has gone and I'm not congested anymore but I still have nausea and diarrhoea ( sorry TMI)

ankietyjoe
23-12-17, 09:41
Any of you have any gastrointestinal symptoms with this flu as well?? I feel nauseous and can't hardly eat. My fever has gone and I'm not congested anymore but I still have nausea and diarrhoea ( sorry TMI)

I stopped eating for nearly a week (just forcing myself to nibble to get some nutrition in me) and over the period of a month I lost 22lbs, my appetite was absolutely zero. My youngest had diarrhoea and vomiting for about a week and barely ate anything for nearly two weeks.

It's all part and parcel.

countrygirl
23-12-17, 11:18
My husband had very upset bowels yesyerday before he started coughing. I feel sick alot and really dont want to eat.
Its great that your temp is down and head clear. My head feels totally solid and i feel spaced out. I have a funny voice. Squeeky!

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 ----------

Stop....checking.......

It is what it is.

Watch TV, sleep....

I know I am obsessively checking my temp, I even have 2 thermometers, an ear one and an oral one. Ihave pulsitile tinnitus so can hear my heartbeat 24/7 which is not good when the temp is giving me a racing heart! If I coldn't hear it I would not realise it was so fast.

I feel even more ill today if that was at all possible! My nose has stopped running and my head and sinuses feel totally solid although my nose is clear. Usually with me this lasts a couple of days then the sinuses start to drain and the pumpkin head feeling improves.

I can barely walk acroos a room

Munchlet
23-12-17, 13:20
Yes absolutely, I always get a fast heart rate when I'm unwell and not just a fever either. It'll be if I'm going to vomit, high temp, flu, bad cold etc. I think with us it's that much worse because our anxiety doesn't help, that probably raises it a bit as well. This fluey virus is horrible. I work in a school and have to say it's the worst I've ever seen, so many people are ill. I just spent most of the week sending home poorly kids and the teachers were dropping like flies too. This morning I've woke up with a dry throat, tickly cough etc so looks like I'm heading that way too It's horrible.

countrygirl
23-12-17, 14:50
My pulse dropped yesterday evening to almost normal but since my fainty do this morning it has been around 100 all the time again.
My husband hasn't as yet got a temp - It will worry me if his temp does not go up!

ankietyjoe
23-12-17, 18:13
My husband hasn't as yet got a temp - It will worry me if his temp does not go up!

Why?!?!?

Mine didn't go up, but I was extremely, extremely ill. My son's went up to just under 40deg though.

You really, really need to stop checking and comparing. You'll drive yourself mad.

You have enough evidence to show that there is a significant virus sweeping across the land right now, it's knocking people out left right and centre. Just accept that's what it is, and focus your thoughts elsewhere.

cattia
23-12-17, 18:19
My temperature has gone down again now but I still have the shooting pains in my hands and feet. It's really tripping my anxiety as I'm thinking it isn't the virus causing them or that they aren't going to go away even when the virus goes.

Ruby777
23-12-17, 20:19
I believe it's normal for heart rate to go up when we are sick . My heart rate was at 95 when I was at the doctors last week .

I am at work now and I feel really unwell. Now I'm dizzy and i have an upset stomach . When will i feel better

Blonde123
24-12-17, 06:47
I'm 9 weeks into a dry tickle cough. If I could hack up the phlegm I might feel better but I can't and just send myself into coughing spasms! Hot and cold flushes, aches all over. I've realised that Christmas TC is rubbish I've watched that much of it from my bed and sofa and I e not left my house in 5 days as I became worse with it all, and my own 4 walls are driving me crazy!

countrygirl
24-12-17, 15:03
Blonde i know exactly what you mesn. Have you seen a dr this past week as sounds like you have temp.
My chest has got worse and felt i might have chest inf so saw out of hours today and i have crackle in one lung so given high dose antibiotics.

au Lait
24-12-17, 20:52
My boyfriend and I just got back from traveling in the U.K. and we got it too. For me it started on the 10th and I’m just now beginning to get my strength back. This is by far the sickest I’ve ever been. I think I’ve had nearly all the symptoms mentioned here. Sore throat, extreme congestion with sinus pain so bad that it even made my teeth hurt, a low grade fever that came and went, fast heartbeat, the works. I was so weak that even the simplest task, such as getting out of bed, drained me. I’ve been coughing so much that I’ve pulled a muscle in my side. I went to the doctor the day after we got home and they took some X-rays of my chest just to make sure that it hadn’t turned into pneumonia. They also performed a flu test. Both came back negative. She couldn’t tell me exactly what this bug is, but said get lots of rest and take an NSAID and decongestant until my body has a chance to heal. She also put me on some antibiotics as a precaution.

This really is a doozy. I hope we all feel better soon!

Mindprison
24-12-17, 21:05
Both my mum and my dad had a virus for over 3 months, it was a persistant bugger that just wouldn't leave. I think this year has been particularly awful for viruses, I caught one in September that had me floored for 3 weeks because of how weak it made my muscles feel.

countrygirl
24-12-17, 22:43
My boyfriend and I just got back from traveling in the U.K. and we got it too. For me it started on the 10th and I’m just now beginning to get my strength back. This is by far the sickest I’ve ever been. I think I’ve had nearly all the symptoms mentioned here. Sore throat, extreme congestion with sinus pain so bad that it even made my teeth hurt, a low grade fever that came and went, fast heartbeat, the works. I was so weak that even the simplest task, such as getting out of bed, drained me. I’ve been coughing so much that I’ve pulled a muscle in my side. I went to the doctor the day after we got home and they took some X-rays of my chest just to make sure that it hadn’t turned into pneumonia. They also performed a flu test. Both came back negative. She couldn’t tell me exactly what this bug is, but said get lots of rest and take an NSAID and decongestant until my body has a chance to heal. She also put me on some antibiotics as a precaution.

This really is a doozy. I hope we all feel better soon!

Sounds very very similar. my temp has not come and gone though its just high all the time although never above 38c. It is the sickest I have been since I contacted chickenpox as an adult and even then the worst was over more quickly. My face and head feels like it will explode with pressure and the cough is worst I have ever had as well. I am on day 6 and feel as if I will never ever get better. Just walking across the room and I am weaving around unsteadily with legs like lead but weak.
How long did the worst last for you?
Interesting that you were negative for flu as they are saying to us that its a flu? I have antibiotics now as my chest was crackly. I have to go back to dr on wednesday if I still have a temperature. She said they would do blood tests.

au Lait
24-12-17, 23:20
Sounds very very similar. my temp has not come and gone though its just high all the time although never above 38c. It is the sickest I have been since I contacted chickenpox as an adult and even then the worst was over more quickly. My face and head feels like it will explode with pressure and the cough is worst I have ever had as well. I am on day 6 and feel as if I will never ever get better. Just walking across the room and I am weaving around unsteadily with legs like lead but weak.
How long did the worst last for you?
Interesting that you were negative for flu as they are saying to us that its a flu? I have antibiotics now as my chest was crackly. I have to go back to dr on wednesday if I still have a temperature. She said they would do blood tests.

I think the worst part of it lasted about 9-10 days for me. After that it’s just lingering weakness and this ridiculous cough. I’m still pretty weak; I just attempted to take the garbage out and when I walked back into my home I felt so drained. I also was very unsteady on my feet and shaky during the first 8 days or so. I remember filling paper work out at the dr and being unable to even write legibly.

I’m convinced it’s some kind of flu bug even though my test was negative. My dr told me that it’s not uncommon to get false results with those tests. Also I’ve heard that the flu test typically only yields accurate results when administered within the first 48 hrs. I’m not sure how true that is, but I wasn’t tested until day 8 so it’s entirely possible that my results weren’t accurate.

The sinus pressure was in many ways the worst part for me. I’ve never experienced it that intensely before. It felt as though my face would explode, just as you described. It was pretty awful having to make the flight home and go through the pressure changes of taking off and landing with all that head congestion.

Ruby777
24-12-17, 23:58
Country girl : at least they gave you antibiotics so that will prevent anything else from developing .

Au lait : sorry to hear you have also been sick . You are right it is one bad virus going around !

I'm on day 10 of it today .. my main symptom at the moment is the constant nausea ! I have no idea why , I never had nausea with the flu before . I also have the lingering cough and I still sound congested when I speak !definitely the worst flu I have ever had . I called 111 last night as I was feeling really ill . They said a doctor would call me back by no one ever did ..

countrygirl
25-12-17, 09:24
Au lait you have described it perfectly! Def same evil little bug to be polite. I too read that the flu test needs to be done in 48hrs for reliable results. I am wondering if its the aussie flu as thats very bad. My cough is not to bad during day as long as i dont talk but as soon as evening comes and during night. Oh boy. Last night i coughes so hard i felt something twang in the back of my thigh!

Did you have the lack of appetite and heartburn that is affecting both husband and myself?
Ruby i feel constantly sick with awful hearburn. Even a mouthful of water makes my stomach heave so you are not alone.

Careful1
26-12-17, 03:46
It is deff normal for heart rate to increase when one is sick especially if they have a fever. My entire house is just getting over the flu. My 3 year old was the first to get it and we couldn't get her fever to come down despite dosing her with Motrin and Tylenol at the same time. I took her to the ER and when they did her vitals I noticed her heart rate was 148. I asked the nurse and he said it was normal for babies to have fast heart rates... This is true but not that fast. I asked the DR about it when she came in and she told me it was normal when we are sick and running fevers for our heart rate to increase.

We are all feeling much better except my 3 year old. It has been over 2 weeks now and she is still very congested and has a horrible cough. It keeps her up all night and it gets so bad that she throws up because she chokes on the mucous.

Both my 3 year old and my 15 year old complained of stomach pain, nausea and did throw up a few times while they were sick. The rest of us just had the fever, body aches, chills etc
They both were bad off for a little over a week. The rest of us started feeling tons better after 72 hours. I hope you get to feeling better soon...

cattia
26-12-17, 10:31
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. My fever jas been gone since Friday but I still have major sinus congestion, cough which is worse in the evening and worst of all, major fatigue. Every little thing wipes me out and I feel like my head is full of cotton wool. Still having occasional pains though not as bad as they were. Now in a major panic that I've got post viral fatigue syndrome as I know flu is a common trigger and also it often happens when you get a virus at a time when you're under stress ans I've been under huge amounts of stress for months. Really worried that I'm not going to feel any better than this, can barely get day to day stuff in the house done and can't manage shopping or anything.

countrygirl
26-12-17, 12:47
Hi careful and cattia. Update. My temp has gone down and is close to my normal. I if anything feel worse! My chest and cough is worse. I am coughing so much in night like carefil daughter i am being sick. Just cannot move the noisy rattling gunk in chest. I am going very lightheaded everytime i cough.
When i stand up my legs are like heavy jelly if that makes sense. My head is a cross between full to bursting and feeling like its floating. I guess this is all weakness due to effects of the virus. Have to remember that true flu can take 3 weeks before remotely back to normal. My husband is still at the shivery sweaty stage.
We could really do with having someone who could look after us! Housekeeper/nurse😀

ankietyjoe
26-12-17, 12:49
We could really do with having someone who could look after us! Housekeeper/nurse😀

Don't we all.

When I had exactly the same thing as you, so did my misses, so did both our kids.

countrygirl
26-12-17, 13:16
Even worse when you have children to look after who are ill as well.
I dont know how someone who lives alone without help would cope.

ankietyjoe
26-12-17, 13:23
Even worse when you have children to look after who are ill as well.
I dont know how someone who lives alone without help would cope.

Sometimes, when you don't have a choice, you just get on with it. That's all you can do.

pulisa
26-12-17, 13:41
Sometimes, when you don't have a choice, you just get on with it. That's all you can do.

Absolutely.

countrygirl
28-12-17, 11:34
Wondering how everyone is doing?

Husband still has the temp although he is not as bad as he was. My temp has been ok for 3 days but still feel like I have flu.
The cough and rattling chest is still the same and both of us feeling out of breath when you are up and about in the house and wobbly but from what I have read from others this weems the norm.
I am still feeling quite sick most of the time, my husband just has bad heartburn rather than sickly.
I am day 10 and he is day 6.

Ruby777
28-12-17, 19:12
Hi country girl ,

Glad to hear your temp has gone down .

On day 10 I was almost like you , still felt ill and lingering cough .

I'm on day 14 now and my cough is almost gone but I still feel weak and exhausted . I also feel like my digestive system is not normal at the moment . I still have pretty constant nausea , which is odd for me . To be fair I ve been working during the entire holidays and haven't had a chance to rest properly

Careful1
28-12-17, 20:49
Glad to hear your temp is has gone back to normal, this is great news... I don't know how it has been for everyone else but my 3 year old who was the first of my household to get sick has a horrible lingering cough and is still very congested. It's been a tad over 3 weeks now. She saw the Dr yesterday for a follow up and we were told to continue breathing treatments 3 times a day and he gave her a course of antibotics... He said it's likely rements of the virus but since her cough is so bad he thought it best and safer to give her a short course of antibotics. My 15 year old who was the 2nd of us to get sick also still has a lingering cough and some congestion but no where near as bad as the baby... The remaining 3 myself included have kicked it completely.

au Lait
28-12-17, 23:13
Day 19 for me and definitely feeling better than I did last week. Still lingering weakness and residual cough. I just finished my antibiotics this morning.

The biggest thing bothering me right now is the pain in my side from coughing. It’s really triggering my HA. I’m worried that I cracked a rib. I’ve heard from people who have known others who cracked their ribs that it’s extremely painful. My side does hurt but I definitely wouldn’t describe it as extreme pain. It doesn’t inhibit my movement at all. Just feels sore when I stretch or take very deep breaths. And I know that even if it was a cracked rib, there’s not a lot that can be done other than taking it easy and letting it heal on its own. I’m trying to reassure myself that it’s just a pulled muscle.

Still, I’m really struggling with keeping my HA at bay right now. So if anyone has any words of encouragement they can share right now I’d really appreciate it.

Au lait you have described it perfectly! Def same evil little bug to be polite. I too read that the flu test needs to be done in 48hrs for reliable results. I am wondering if its the aussie flu as thats very bad. My cough is not to bad during day as long as i dont talk but as soon as evening comes and during night. Oh boy. Last night i coughes so hard i felt something twang in the back of my thigh!

Did you have the lack of appetite and heartburn that is affecting both husband and myself?
Ruby i feel constantly sick with awful hearburn. Even a mouthful of water makes my stomach heave so you are not alone.

I did have decreased appetite, though no heartburn. It was interesting in that I did still feel like eating at times, but definitely not as much as I usually do.

countrygirl
29-12-17, 12:04
Sounds so much like a pulled muscle. Having damaged a rib in the past the pain is horrendous on the slightest movement. If you are still coughing then it will be much longer to heal and pulled muscles usually take at least 2 weeks or more to resolve.

the cough is the worst thing, so full of gunk at top of chest.Feels irritated like a constant burning. Sounds dreadful when I cough real rattle although it is now actually moving stuff:wacko:
I finish my antibiotics tomorrow.
I am on day 11.

ankietyjoe
29-12-17, 12:42
Day 52 of the cough. Still feel knackered.

countrygirl
29-12-17, 16:57
Day 52! Oh joy something to look forward to:winks:

ankietyjoe
29-12-17, 17:53
I would rather lose the fatigue. The cough is just a nuisance.

Worriedwellornot
01-01-18, 12:21
Just wondering how you are all doing? I'm on day 21 of the virus and still have cough, backache and so tired. Can just about get off sofa to make a hot drink. I've never had a virus this bad and feel I will never get well. Hope you are all improving

Malibustace
01-01-18, 13:38
I am on day 27, started as a cold, thought it was going after 5 days, then came the cough, had approx 3 days without any symptoms, then came the itchy throat/tickly cough, felt a lot better yesterday until around midnight, chest started to ache, woke up this morning with full on cold and cough again. I’ve had enough now :(

cattia
01-01-18, 13:56
Only day 14 for me! The cough is lingering along with random aches and pains, worst is the fatigue. It's like I have zero motivation or energy, I'm really stressing that I'll never feel like my old self again, especially as I have to return to work on Wednesday after the Christmas break and I'm just so washed out even doing little things around the house and around town. Would love to hear from anyone who has eventually recovered from this hideous virus.

Worriedwellornot
01-01-18, 15:31
Hi Cat I'm due back to work on Weds too but at this moment can't imagine how. My oh says I just need to be back to work and I will get over it quicker. However he's been fine! I'm debating going back to Drs for the 3rd time but aware I'm becoming a nuisance x

countrygirl
01-01-18, 16:21
I am def better than i was a few days ago although the cough is truly revolting and sounds horrible. I went out for first time today and did a bit of shop around supermarket. Today is i think day 14 for me. I am though exhausted bt teatime even though i am getting much more sleep than usual.

Worriedwellornot
01-01-18, 16:57
I'm sleeping like a baby and I'm normally an insomniac . The only positive thing this flu has given me!

au Lait
02-01-18, 22:12
Sounds so much like a pulled muscle. Having damaged a rib in the past the pain is horrendous on the slightest movement. If you are still coughing then it will be much longer to heal and pulled muscles usually take at least 2 weeks or more to resolve.

Thank you, that does make me feel better. I did end up going back to the dr and they did more X-rays. She couldn’t see any cracks in my ribs but told me to “splint” my side when I cough anyway. Of course even though she didn’t see anything on the X-rays that doesn’t stop my HA from flaring up.

I’m just so tired of feeling like crap. I’m mostly better in almost all regards, my cough is definitely much better, though still lingering. I’m not nearly as congested anymore. But I’m still so energy-less. All I want to do is lie in bed. I just keep reminding myself that it will take a bit of time to get my energy back after having been sick for so long.

And then this morning I woke up with a sore throat..I’m so worried that I’ve caught another bug.

How is everyone else doing? Anyone starting to feel better?

Worriedwellornot
03-01-18, 21:15
I went back to Drs and had blood test for pulmonary embolism which was a worry. Although came back clear. Chest X-ray done and waiting for results. Now on 4th antibiotics and steroids and inhaler. Signed off work until Monday. Feeling slightly better today but cough lingering and still ache all over. Managed to wash hair and make dinner which was an improvement. Baby steps . Hope you are all getting better

Darwin73
03-01-18, 22:14
I’m on day 18. Hacking cough reduced quite quickly after a week, but I’m still blowing my nose a lot. Otherwise just more tired than usual and stomach doesn’t feel quite normal yet, but I’m trying to ignore that and carry on eating (can’t let the mince pies go to waste!:dribble:)

countrygirl
03-01-18, 22:15
The cough is a nuisance in that it sounds revolting and am very tired. Husband is worse than me and gets so tired he goes dizzy and has to sleep. Just started going out and everyone is coughing and blowing noses. I too am quite worried about catching a different virus. Seems to be people with normal colds then the ones like us who got full blown flu.

countrygirl
05-01-18, 12:12
Wondering how everyone is. Husband and i seem to have worsened. The cough and sinus stuff has got worse although temp is fine for both of us. Husband went to dr today and was not impressed. He is very prone to sinus infections and has gone deaf in one ear, alot of pain in sinuses and his cough is getting worse. He is insulin dependent diabetic and a sign he has infection is his blood sugars go high even with alot more insulin but the Dr just said if you have had flu they will be and didn't even listen to his chest just looked in his ears! This Dr is notorious for being moody so can be good one day then almost ignore you another. If he isn't any better over weekend then will go back to a different Dr.
I am finding that everytime I stand up and do something I am wiped out and cannot wait to sit down again.

ankietyjoe
05-01-18, 12:34
If you read back over all the other posts people have made, this is exactly what everybody else is suffering from. Remember I'm on day 60 (or whatever it is now). Most symptoms have gone, although I still have the cough and am knackered all the time.

Being upset with the Doctor won't change things unfortunately, they don't have magic wands. They probably have 20-30 people a day coming in saying exactly the same thing right now.

This is a bad, bad infection. All you can do is stay hydrated, eat nutrition and rest.

countrygirl
05-01-18, 13:20
Appreciate it is a nasty one. This particular dr he saw has always been "moody". She can be very thorough and chatty at one appt then barely speak and almost ignore you at another. Others have comnented on her unpredictability.
I think my husband was unhappy that she was dismissive of his suddenly elevated blood sugars when experience has shown in the past he has had bacterial infection. All the other drs at the surgery are great.

Worriedwellornot
05-01-18, 20:04
My X-ray came back clear today which is good. However still very tired and achy. Can't see myself back at work anytime soon.

cattia
05-01-18, 21:29
I've been back at work since Wednesday. I've coped but I'm definitely way more fatigued than before, particularly in the afternoon. I'm also still struggling with headaches and aching in my legs. Lots of people at work have also been ill with this over Christmas and a number have also come down with other bugs since as it seems like it leaves you with a weakened immune system so I'm also worried about that happening. I hope you all feel better soon.

Worriedwellornot
07-01-18, 19:44
Been out today and bought some strong probiotics and echinacea. I hope they will help to boost the immune system!