PDA

View Full Version : Flu anxiety

jules321
20-12-17, 22:48
I'm spiraling as I do every year at this time. Flu season. Why does it scare me so much? I used to like winter. Now I literally DREAD it. I count the months until Winter with so much fear. I avoid the news but still come across how "widespread" the flu is now and how the vaccine didn't work well this year (I was vaccinated) and I just want to curl up... which I can't do because I have kids who are go go go --- and who bring home so much illness! I'm scared...

countrygirl
21-12-17, 14:32
Well I am at this moment suffering from the flu and its making my anxiety go off the scale! so I totally understand.

I haven't had anything like this for about 15 years at least. Its just not possible to avoid the possibility of catching it unless you turn into a recluse which you can't as you have children.

At this moment in time I am convinced I will never get better, never get a normal temperature again and its xmas and my gp surgery is closed for 4 days wich does not help my health anxiety.

Chances are you won't catch flu, i've gone 15 yrs!

jules321
21-12-17, 15:44
I'm so sorry you're sick. :( thank you for responding even when you feel ill. Logic tells us the flu is awful to get but will pass.... and it will for you too. I totally understand the anxiety. When I have a fever I check it relentlessly instead of just letting my body rest. My dad has the flu right now (lives in a diff town), and I'm so amazed he has zero anxiety about it and is just resting and sleeping as needed. He's bummed to be sick but there's no fear. We need to get to that place. I think of animals.... when they get sick, they don't get scared of the illness or injury. They just retreat as needed to heal. I hope you feel better soon. Of course these illnesses occur on weekends or holidays when doctor offices are closed. That's when my kids always get sick, and it's so stressful. But you are ok and know what to do... just rest and heal.

Careful1
21-12-17, 20:18
I was freaking out when my 3 year old tested postive for flu type A two weeks ago. I was terrified of catching it although I knew it would be impossible to avoid.
I washed and sanitized my hands every 5 minutes, to the point my hands are now dry, cracked and they hurt. I was constantly spraying everything down with lysol and I literally went through about 5 big cans in a few days butttttt all that did me no good. Every last person in my house including myself caught it :(

Best advice, if no one in your home has it, when you go out to the store etc be sure to sanitize your hands after... Wash your hands often and try to avoid touching your face... not everyone that catches the flu virus will develop symptoms. During the flu season try to keep your immune system strong by eating healthy, getting enough sleep etc. Vitamin C is good for your immune system..

jules321
22-12-17, 02:28
Your post freaked me in case someone gets in my family - feel doomed to get it! I'm sorry you all got it. Hope everyone is ok.