PDA

View Full Version : Pain in the side, anyone?

Robin_
21-12-17, 00:36
Hello all! I've had a history of stomach troubles for a long while, so I've gotten maybe every sort of scan and test during the past two years or so (except a colonoscopy, I think). I say this because while I'm not TOO worried about my stomach, I just cannot understand what this pain in my side is. It feels like it's around the area underneath my ribs on the left side, and it's been going on for a few days now. It feels like a feeling of "butterflies" you get when you're nervous, but... off to the side? It also comes and goes.

I was thinking it could be muscular, but I'm not really sure. As I said, I'm not extremely terrified, as it's only been a few days, but I'm still kind of thinking about it WAY too much. Anyone have any experience with something like this, or just anything positive to share? I would really appreciate it :)

rainbow
21-12-17, 13:31
Hi, do you have ibs? I have and I quite often get discomfort under my ribs on the left. As far as I know its caused by gas getting caught up in the bowel as that's where the bowel has a turn in it.

Do you have any other symptoms related to your stomach.

girlgryphon
21-12-17, 20:53
Hello all! I've had a history of stomach troubles for a long while, so I've gotten maybe every sort of scan and test during the past two years or so (except a colonoscopy, I think). I say this because while I'm not TOO worried about my stomach, I just cannot understand what this pain in my side is. It feels like it's around the area underneath my ribs on the left side, and it's been going on for a few days now. It feels like a feeling of "butterflies" you get when you're nervous, but... off to the side? It also comes and goes.

I was thinking it could be muscular, but I'm not really sure. As I said, I'm not extremely terrified, as it's only been a few days, but I'm still kind of thinking about it WAY too much. Anyone have any experience with something like this, or just anything positive to share? I would really appreciate it :)

Have you been tested for gallstones? I m trying to get a diagnosis for the same thing myself.

Robin_
23-12-17, 00:51
Hi, do you have ibs? I have and I quite often get discomfort under my ribs on the left. As far as I know its caused by gas getting caught up in the bowel as that's where the bowel has a turn in it.

Do you have any other symptoms related to your stomach.

Interestingly enough, I actually do think I just started with IBS a couple of months ago. I've felt (and sorry if this is TMI) way gassier than normal for weeks and weeks now, though everything else, minus this weird feeling I got this week, has been normal. My GI actually wanted to run a colonoscopy to check for Chron's in October, but since I was unable to finish the prep and also had a scan of my small bowel, he felt that the scope wasn't necessary anymore. Maybe it could be IBS. The stomach is so weird... :wacko:

Have you been tested for gallstones? I m trying to get a diagnosis for the same thing myself.

I never really thought about gallstones, though I assumed that was more of a right-sided pain rather than left. I did worry about my pancreas (even though I'm a 24 year-old non-drinker, funny thing that anxiety), but I've had blood tests as recent as a month ago that gave me the all clear on that front. If this continues for another week or so, I might have to bring up gallstones with my doc, just to be safe.

girlgryphon
23-12-17, 02:50
Robin, just out of curiosity, what blood tests did your doctor tell you ruled out pancreas? I'm trying to get a diagnosis for the same symptoms, left-sided pain / discomfort under ribs, but I've had it a lot longer than you. Am trying to figure it out and not go to dark thoughts in my head.

ODA_555
23-12-17, 04:41
Robin, just out of curiosity, what blood tests did your doctor tell you ruled out pancreas? I'm trying to get a diagnosis for the same symptoms, left-sided pain / discomfort under ribs, but I've had it a lot longer than you. Am trying to figure it out and not go to dark thoughts in my head.
Might be a Lipase test.

Robin_
24-12-17, 20:35

Hi, sorry for the late reply, but as someone mentioned, I believe it was a Lipase test. I'm sorry you're also having a rough time of it. It's only been a week for me, but I can relate to your feelings.

Mindprison
24-12-17, 20:53
Just thought i'd add that I agree about it possibly being IBS. I tend to get pain all over my abdomen but my side has a persistant pain as well if it's a bad flare up. The pain can also spread to under my ribs. Being a male, I also have chronic prostatitis which I don't think helps it either.

It's honestly pretty surprising how common IBS is and how much pain it can cause for something that a lot of people don't even know they have.