PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure off the scale

Pansy
21-12-17, 10:00
Hi everyone, I have just been for a Blood Pressure review. Trouble is when I got there my BP was off the scale, they couldn't even get a reading. So they sent me home to take readings on my own machine, but now I can't get a reading and the more I try the more the panic sets in and I can feel my BP is so high. Now I'm frightened. I was feeling fine when I went to the docs this morning. I don't know what to do.
I take meds for BP.
I now feel my anxiety has been so stirred up it's going to take ages to sort it out.

countrygirl
21-12-17, 14:29
difficult to know what to do. I have worlds worst white coat syndrome and take my bp at home where it is on low side but if anyone else does it its high. When I first got my home machine it was slightly high but I kept taking it 3 times a day and after a few days my panic improved and got a more true reading. If I don't take it for a few weeks then the first time I take it it will be bordeline high again due to panic.

Maybe try taking it again later today and just record what happens. Did they tell you what to do if it keeps being so high it cannot be recorded on your machine?

Weasley123
21-12-17, 15:02
I have terrible white coat and it happens at home too. Im sure its white coat because I feel the panic and because its high then a minute later lower. For example at the Dr it was 158/85 then one minute later 135/75 so the dr said white coat. Have you tried taking three reading a minute apart. I used to have a machine and id get a sky high reading hten 3 min later a normal one. I threw out my home monitor because i got obsessive. I dont take meds and have never been offered them and if i was id refuse as i know its anxiety

Pansy
22-12-17, 08:51
Hi guys thanks for your replies.
I had a phone call from the doctor yesterday, and she was very understanding. We discussed my lifestyle etc, and in the end, although she was concerned and wanted to get it lowered she tried to reassure me that I would be okay for the time being. She did say that some people did live with high BP and there are various reasons for this happening.
My problem now is the seed is planted in my mind, so I have to get my BP lower, the more I worry about it, the higher it goes. Last night in bed my mind just went over and over, worrying about it. This morning I feel like rubbish, and I am still churning over my high BP. I'm frightened to take a reading.

I feel really angry with myself because yesterday morning as I went into the doctors I felt really fine, now I'm a mess in my head.

The mind is a powerful thing :mad: